Amsoil worth the price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Amsoil Signature Series is pretty good, but you need to run extended oil changes to get your moneys worth. If your not doing at least 10,000 miles per change, just use an API SN synthetic.

IMO not any more.

Modern oils are so good that they have lost their advantage. I have bought thousands and thousands of dollars worth of Amsoil products, they are EXCELLENT quality.

But now similar products are at Wal Mart...

35.gif

Originally Posted By: sir1900
35.gif

Yep, there will be controversy!

IMO yes, and with preferred customer pricing and ordering from Pablo, prices are comparable to other oils. Plus, I have always seen 100% availability, never the "empty shelf" like at mallwart.

Last edited:
I am an Amsoil preferred customer. I like their products and think they make a good overall range of fluids and filters. I don't like their marketing structure, but am willing to deal with it for the fluids I need.

That being said, I think they are overpriced for oil that is really no better than what you can get at Wally World for much much cheaper. Especially with rebates and promotions. You won't get that with Amsoil. I think they are spot on price wise for ATF, Gear Oil and most other fluids.

I am currently using their Severe Gear 75w90 and have used the ATF in the past. Those are both excellent! I plan on using the CVT fluid in the near future as well.

So, for motor oil, no, it is definitely not worth it, IMHO. For other fluids, yes, it is most definitely worth it!

49.gif

Originally Posted By: flatlinerz
Hey guys

just wondering what everyone thoughts about Amsoil is their oil worth the price?

The stuff that is really worth it is the Amsoil transmission fluid

Sythetic oil of any brand can only be "worth the price" if you use extended OCI's.

The exception here is whenever you are buying synthetic on clearance or for just a couple of bucks per change over your favorite dino.

QSUD comes to mind here.

flatlinerz, I've often asked the same question. Its so hard to beat $27 for a five-quart jug of Castrol Edge Extended Performance, Mobil 1 Extended Peformance, Pennzoil Ultra, Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro, all oils that have teams of highly paid scientists and racing experience, with all the latest and toughest spec approvals. I'm not saying Amsoil Signature is bad, indeed all indications are that its comparable, just expensive.

I like their products its all their disclaimers about modified parts they press to not warranty it. I bought the the Ea cone filter for my intake with a drycharger, so its a product they market but then say on non aftermarket vehicles will the Oci last. Yet a new corvette thats quite hard on oils get the oem treatment as long as stays OEM. My filter protects better than factory celloluse but they dont see it that way I guess. So hard to turn down PP GTL 5W30 for 25.17 for 5qts, just wish I could locate PU wo having to shop online.

Like some other oil companies that offer a wide range of products, they make some great oils and some mediocre ones.
Their mediocre oils are overpriced but their exceptional products can be a bargain in the right application.
The key is to figure out which is which and not to buy based on brand alone.

I use it in my motorcycle, as I feel that it is likely the best product for the job. Plus, the selection of JASO approved synthetic oils in 10w-40 weight is somewhat limited.

Plus, I can get it at the local farm supply store for $9 a quart.

But I don't run Amsoil in the truck or anything else anymore.

No it's not worth it. However, it is on my oil 'bucket list' to try, just so I can say I've used a boutique oil and to experience the hype.

.Getting dealer pricing.. it is IF I did not have a stash of other synthetics I got cheap/free etc. I had some a case of 0W30 Signature leftover....I put in my sons Volvo C30 and daughter in laws SRX. Neither are car people.....After changing their oil dozens of times, both called me after the Amsoil went in and asked me what I had done to their cars. They claimed quieter and smoother operation. I know, I know.. Just writing what was told to me. Again, if I did not have a large stash I would use it in my vehicles. Signature is top notch IMO.

its totally worth it when running extended drain intervals and the amount of R&D they do. as well as the tech line available through your dealer.

also price ain't much higher than other oils.

cost is much lower in the end when you do a per mile comparison.

also nothing is close to Sig Series in lots of specs.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I see no good coming from this thread.

Correct. ^^^

Its a bad question, with no way to get a personal answer from the public. "Worth the price" is 100% subjective.

My bank account and yours may have vastly different sums in them.
My OCI and yours may vary greatly.
My filter and yours may vary greatly.
My driving style and yours may vary greatly.
My vehicle and yours may vary greatly.
My intentions to keep or trade vs. yours may vary greatly.
My care for my vehicle and yours for yours may vary greatly.
My climate and yours may vary greatly.

Most importantly, my PRICE paid and yours may vary greatly.

All things considered, conventionals and syns (with extended OCI and less filters to buy) end up being priced nearly equal. Don't ask others to decide for you. YOU decide, and don't condemn others who don't share your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back