Amsoil - Worth it?

This thread started in 2012 … it was sleeping quietly … but nooooooooo …

My own thought about your post is this.
If somebody brings it up in a fresh post they are told it has already been covered.
And I don't have a dog in the hunt but in fairness all oil has been reformulated many times since 2012. ( We all know)

Further if the masses can't respond and access old threads why archive them????????
Do a dump once a month. Yeah I know but this place needs less drama. Maybe something like if it doesn't interest you
don't interject your thoughts into it. Me included. A penny for your thoughts.

I wish Amsoil would stop advertising and let the products speak for themselves. I know they are good, and they have been around long enough that their reputation should be well established. If they aren't selling as well as their competitors, there's something wrong with the business model and they need to fix it instead of shoving the perks/info down our throats while still charging high prices. A good analogy is Corvettes: GM does not advertise them because nearly everyone knows what they are, what they do, and their great performance value... yet not every sports car owner has a Corvette. (OK so maybe that's not the best analogy but you get my point.)
I bet Amsoil could reduce prices if they stopped spending so much on ads. I know Amsoil is good, but not good enough to justify the extra cost, not for my vehicles and the service intervals that I run. So I happily run M1 or PP with annual rebates which makes these oils incredibly affordable. I run Amsoil gear oils and MTF because they aren't much more expensive than other brands, and they last a very long time in my applications.

This thread started in 2012 … it was sleeping quietly … but nooooooooo …
I agree. Sorry.

If somebody brings it up in a fresh post they are told it has already been covered.
And I don't have a dog in the hunt but in fairness all oil has been reformulated many times since 2012. ( We all know)

Further if the masses can't respond and access old threads why archive them????????
Do a dump once a month. Yeah I know but this place needs less drama. Maybe something like if it doesn't interest you
A resurrected thread is only valuable if new and relevant information is added. Your post about reformulation is speculative and adds no previously unknown facts to the discussion. This is what happens the majority of the time, usually what you see is new members posting a pithy bit of opinion designed to cause contention rather than anything that hasn't already been said multiple times.

This is where the drama comes in, posting for drama sake and nothing that materially furthers the discussion.

A resurrected thread is only valuable if new and relevant information is added. Your post about reformulation is speculative and adds no previously unknown facts to the discussion. This is what happens the majority of the time, usually what you see is new members posting a pithy bit of opinion designed to cause contention rather than anything that hasn't already been said multiple times.

This is where the drama comes in, posting for drama sake and nothing that materially furthers the discussion.

Just like you're doing now right?

If I’m wrong about anything I posted above let me know.

The above is your opinion ( respectfully)
There are thousands of opinions here.
If I ran this forum and I have run many, the more posting and digging up of old threads is highly profitable.
This is a business and you are not thinking as such. Few donate here ( I have but it no longer shows)
Nothing is free and the hits pay the bills. Unfortunately we may not like the digging up of old threads
but we archive them and there no rules are against it. No company is going to advertise on a forum with 50 experts only
as they don't bring in the desired traffic. Also most are crusty and arrogant and run off the masses. That activity doesn't pay the bills.
I understand it. But I look at this as someone's business and understand that they must profit or this place goes away.
Most forums are obsolete today and only a few exist that bring in this kind of traffic. Just my 2 cents.

The above is your opinion ( respectfully)
There are thousands of opinions here.
If I ran this forum and I have run many, the more posting and digging up of old threads is highly profitable.
This is a business and you are not thinking as such. Few donate here ( I have but it no longer shows)
Nothing is free and the hits pay the bills. Unfortunately we may not like the digging up of old threads
but we archive them and there no rules are against it. No company is going to advertise on a forum with 50 experts only
as they don't bring in the desired traffic. Also most are crusty and arrogant and run off the masses. That activity doesn't pay the bills.
I understand it. But I look at this as someone's business and understand that they must profit or this place goes away.
Most forums are obsolete today and only a few exist that bring in this kind of traffic. Just my 2 cents.

Most resurrected threads on here get locked in short order, or historically that's been the case, so while the business angle is novel, if the site owner/operated wanted necroposting to take place, they wouldn't be locking up those old threads.

Most resurrected threads on here get locked in short order, or historically that's been the case, so while the business angle is novel, if the site owner/operated wanted necroposting to take place, they wouldn't be locking up those old threads.

I'm not seeing that.
Nothing novel about money.
It's a reality.
Those that get locked are done so because the fist fights over this is old and the typical cry baby stuff.
As I said previously if you don't like old threads why read and post to them? Really...

I'm not seeing that.
It's a reality.
Those that get locked are done so because the fist fights over this is old and the typical cry baby stuff.
As I said previously if you don't like old threads why read and post to them? Really...

I've seen it quite frequently often with the mod commenting that if somebody wants to talk about a specific subject that's been covered in the past that they should start a new thread.

I'm not seeing that.
It's a reality.

Yes, they get locked. And, as pointed out above, the reason is no new relevant information about the topic is brought forward. Might be because old oils are no longer relevant, or the "recipes" have changed dramatically.

If I’m wrong about anything I posted above let me know.
I think they were referencing the part about "new and relevant information added," and "adds no previously unknown facts to the discussion."
You aren't wrong, but nothing you said is new or unknown. I hope you take this the right way :)

I have read this thread a handful of times over the years and switched to Amsoil a few months ago. I don't think it's worth it. Shelf oils are very high quality and affordable.

I've seen it quite frequently often with the mod commenting that if somebody wants to talk about a specific subject that's been covered in the past that they should start a new thread.
Which in many cases IMO is a mistake. Most of the great discussions took place in the past and are still relevant now.

Think I elected to ignore this before … but now can’t. First it was humor meant to make a point. Thinking others see that. But since then, in your attempts to be the wiseman here … you ran into some of them, at that‘s been humorous
Carry on …

Back