Amsoil vs Royal Purple - Project Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
The temperature readings were interesting and the heated sample re-freeze test pour & flow rates.... Yes I know this isn't lab testing to ASTM standards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
The garbage just never ends, does it?

We gotta keep the content on the board to encourage discussion to keep BITOG going. Only so many "What oil should I use" threads to generate traffic.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Cue the AMSOIL hate..

Honestly, after watching that video, I must agree that AMSOIL definitely has something going for it. It appears, at least from the tests he did, to be very robust. I'm quite impressed that, even after the cooking it endured, it still flows better than virgin Royal Purple.

For me, the downside is still price. I just can't see spending $12 a quart, at least at this point in my life. I might consider it once I've used my current stash of oil and filters.. possibly.

This guy does good tests. He always lays the info out there and let people think what they want.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Cue the AMSOIL hate..

Honestly, after watching that video, I must agree that AMSOIL definitely has something going for it. It appears, at least from the tests he did, to be very robust. I'm quite impressed that, even after the cooking it endured, it still flows better than virgin Royal Purple.

For me, the downside is still price. I just can't see spending $12 a quart, at least at this point in my life. I might consider it once I've used my current stash of oil and filters.. possibly.

Honestly in this case I don't think it's a case of AMSOIL being spectacular so much as RP being a thoroughly mediocre oil sold at a premium price.

Amsoil won by 8 cm. Yippie!....How does this work in my engine? Well, that's different. But, I still enjoyed the vid for entertainment purposes.....

An oil that has a ridiculously low pour point (which is essentially what's being tested here) is typically due to the use of PAO in the base oil blend, which it's generally accepted, is what AMSOIL uses. The Royal Purple API rated stuff is most likely Group III, which is heavily reliant on PPD's to achieve the desired Winter rating. Ergo, it's not surprising that the PAO out-pours the Group III here.

Of course both oils still meet the CCS and MRV requirements for their respective grades, however it is worth noting that an oil is allowed to slip a W rating in service, which is what one may be observing with the "used" RP sample. PPD's degrade.

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Cue the AMSOIL hate..

I'm accused of hating both, whereas I just hate their marketting, and the personal reaction of fanbois to critiscism thereof
But I hate stupid tests more...

Originally Posted by littlehulkster

Honestly in this case I don't think it's a case of AMSOIL being spectacular so much as RP being a thoroughly mediocre oil sold at a premium price.

That was an eye opener to me too. Although not scientific, I found the video interesting.

Sad to see Royal Purple turn into nothing more than a mediocre oil with a Motul price tag. Like the purple oil dye as its easier to read on dipstick. Like the ability of Amsoil and the nozzle in the middle like Redline. Dont like the pushing uneducated reps who think Fram Ultra falls apart or that M1 is junk nor the dealer interaction. Good test overall.

Originally Posted by StevieC
The temperature readings were interesting and the heated sample re-freeze test pour & flow rates.... Yes I know this isn't lab testing to ASTM standards.

Thanks for posting it up Steven .

I wish they would have did a price point as many buy solely on that alone. I would like to see one with Motul,Ravenol,Fuchs,Redline and Klotz or Pentosin.

Your engine would never notice a difference over several hundred thousand miles of oil changed at reasonable intervals backed by UOA's on either brand. But, since this is BITOG, I'd take the Amsoil if it were me! I like quick flowing oil under all temps.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by kschachn
The garbage just never ends, does it?

We gotta keep the content on the board to encourage discussion to keep BITOG going. Only so many "What oil should I use" threads to generate traffic.
lol.gif

lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
An oil that has a ridiculously low pour point (which is essentially what's being tested here) is typically due to the use of PAO in the base oil blend, which it's generally accepted, is what AMSOIL uses. The Royal Purple API rated stuff is most likely Group III, which is heavily reliant on PPD's to achieve the desired Winter rating. Ergo, it's not surprising that the PAO out-pours the Group III here.

Of course both oils still meet the CCS and MRV requirements for their respective grades, however it is worth noting that an oil is allowed to slip a W rating in service, which is what one may be observing with the "used" RP sample. PPD's degrade.

Just to add to this, I found it interesting that they compared AMSOIL's top-tier offering (Signature Series) with the lowest tier Royal Purple product. They should have either done Signature Series with HPS or the the OE/XL line with the RP API.

I liked the IR video camera shots of the warm belt and warm power cord, how the heat gradients were on all the parts around the bearing specimen. Also liked the speeded up video of the hot plate flexing up and down due to it's slight temperature fluctuations - probably caused by the bang-bang type thermostats used on those old hot plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back