AMSOIL SSO any review after 5k / 10k/ 15k ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems the SSO have been out for months, and still not many review on the performance/UOA after thousands miles ?
Anyone have chance to compare with other oils ?

Thank you for sharing.

I should have near 7,500 on it by this Saturday. I do plan on changing it out because I really want to. I have another 6 quarts of SSO 0w30 waiting for a 15,000 mile run next. Should have pictures and a UOA by next week.

The oil is great... it is almost as thin as the 5w30 and doesn't thicken up when it gets old. Engine feels nice and smooth at 7500 miles - just as if I had a new fill in. Then again, thats the very scientific beehind dyno...

This oil turned dark (from its golden state) at 7,000 miles on the dipstick - its a brownish black now. That is the longest ever that an oil took to darken! It is smooth as ever so... I think I've found my oil for life now.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
It had better have the best UOAs ever at $10 a quart. Zero wear.

So if that's the bar, then even more expensive oils should add metal?
grin2.gif

Ill be changing to SSO in my saab soon, and the amsoil 0w-20 in the integra likely even sooner...

The saab sees a lot of highway miles, but we shall see how long it takes to rack up a lot like that. The integra is the wife's DD, and she drives 20-50 miles a day, so that will come along before too long, I suppose...

JMH

I did a UOA on the SSO at 3,000 miles. It showed very low wear metals and a very good ISO code (16/15/12).
Aluminum 2
Chromium 1
Iron 6
Copper 1
Lead 0
Tin 1
Moly 2
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 45
Boron 8
Silicon 13
Sodium 8
Calcium 3468
Magnesium 12
Phosphorus 644
Zinc 721
Barium 0

TBN 7.5

I might try it out on my next change but that could be a while since I've only got 6k on my ASL.

Originally Posted By: Harley Anderson
Wow thats a huge drop in TBN. It could also be your hot running engine down in Florida too. I would of guessed maybe 10-11 for TBN after 3k miles.

The engine has 238,000 miles on it, probably harder on the oil than a newer one. The SUS viscosity @ 210 degrees measured 55.1 and 8.81 cSt @ 100 C. Blackstone thought that there is a gas intrusion causing lower than expected readings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Indeed TBN drop is not linear at all. And I do suspect we will see many, many UOA's on SSO. ALL oils need UOA's!!!
banana2.gif

Right. Tbn is not linear. Many Tbn's will drop a lot the first few thousand then level off and stay low for awhile. Some can hover around 2 for quite some time. It's good to get a TAN measurement.

I'm very suprised by the shearing - I thought Amsoil would have engineered this oil to resist fuel dilution better....for a top-of-the-line product, thats a lot of viscosity loss.....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'm very suprised by the shearing - I thought Amsoil would have engineered this oil to resist fuel dilution better....for a top-of-the-line product, thats a lot of viscosity loss.....

Quote:
The engine has 238,000 miles on it.....Blackstone thought that there is gas intrusion...

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back