First Oil Change:

9,352 Miles ("10MONT" in UOA)
4 Ounces Auto-Rx
No Makeup Oil Added

Second Oil Change:

9,248 Miles
0 ounces Auto-Rx
0.75 Quarts Added About 300 miles Before Sampling

Car is driven fairly aggressively, but not dangerously hard. 70/30 Highway/City.

My stupid error skewed the results. Read the dipstick as being low by not giving oil enough time to drop back to pan after engine had been running so I topped it off. Went a bit over the Full mark after that.

Pretty much trying to give myself a proof of value for continuing to use an ARX dose after doing 2 cycles of cleaning.

I added about 23% or so of the sump capacity on top off. That had to dilute the metals, lowering the PPM measurements as well as mostly everything else.

Regardless, I think most of the numbers point to ARX giving me a better UOA the first time around. Maybe I REALLY just want to know I didn't waste my money on it too... hahaha

In the future, I'll be doing another cycle like this (with/without ARX) without topping off, but so far, what are everyone's thoughts?

FirstBITOGPost.png

I disagree. The second sample has lower iron, silicon, sodium, copper, and oxidation numbers. The second sample also has a little higher viscosity and a higher TBN.

To me using any kind of additive/cleaner with an oil like Amsoil SSO 0W-30 is a total waste of money. Just my humble opinion.

Thank goodness for the ZOOM feature with FF
55.gif

That sodium number in the first is oddball. Most other stuff can be attributed to the make up adds. I would have expected OXI/NIT numbers to be more apart, but I don't know the virgin numbers off hand. I don't think I would have done this 300 miles before sampling. Then again, you can factor the make up as virgin for the most part.

I have to say that this is the cleanest metals sample that I can recall. Fe is about all that there is.

Both are stellar for the time in service, imo.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I disagree. The second sample has lower iron, silicon, sodium, copper, and oxidation numbers. The second sample also has a little higher viscosity and a higher TBN.

To me using any kind of additive/cleaner with an oil like Amsoil SSO 0W-30 is a total waste of money. Just my humble opinion.

Except that conclusion can't be drawn. Did you miss his comment about make-up oil in the 2nd OCI because he misread the dipstick? All the values in the 2nd sample are lower than they should (except TBN which is falsely higher) be because of the make-up oil.

Both runs look fine.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: Johnny

Except that conclusion can't be drawn. Did you miss his comment about make-up oil in the 2nd OCI because he misread the dipstick? All the values in the 2nd sample are lower than they should (except TBN which is falsely higher) be because of the make-up oil.

Both runs look fine.

I sure did. But I still would not use any additive/cleaner with an oil like Amsoil SSO 0W-30.

IMPORTANT: With every fill-up, this 17.1 Gallon tank gets 1 oz of FP Plus because my mom insists on using cheap Sam's Club gas. Could this add to the high percentage of fuel dilution or is that just typical of this engine?

Also, according to the comments from the first run by the sampler, the Auto-Rx could have been the reason for the elevated sodium ppm, is that true?

One thing I noticed is that the engine seemed to be smoother and quieter during the end of the first run, while it became a bit louder (can really only tell on cold start) during the end of the second run. That's why I drained about 100 miles sooner.

I'll try this craziness one more time for kicks up to 15k, but, for 9-10k, I'll probably agree with you, Johnny.

BTW, I took a Screen Capture of the PDF and saved it in Paint... Is there a better way to do this to get an analysis that is easier to read?

Auto-RX has nothing that will show up in a UOA. That is not from the Auto-RX. What oil did you use before that run? It could have been leftovers.

I don't know why anyone would suggest you add Rx or LC to a well formulated, balanced oil. Absolutely ridiculous.

Originally Posted By: buster
I don't know why anyone would suggest you add Rx or LC to a well formulated, balanced oil. Absolutely ridiculous.

I use it for increased MPGs, but that is just me. Everyone has their reasons.

Silicon is high in both runs. I'd say it's increasing abrasive wear. also, fuel dilution is high, so both of these factors are increasing iron and aluminum.

I'd check the air filter and ducting, and run a couple of short dino runs to clean the engine out - then maybe try a longer SSO run.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Auto-RX has nothing that will show up in a UOA. That is not from the Auto-RX. What oil did you use before that run? It could have been leftovers.

Did not know that. Thanks for the info.

I ran first 2 cycles clean/rinse of Castrol GTX. Started the process at around 70-75k.

Then an Amsoil SSO run for 3.5k (Bring the hate because this was the first time I'd ever reached outside the 3,000 mile club, almost died...) Also wasted a lot of perfectly good oil. Oh well, maybe it helped clean up a school bus or two out there.

After that started these two OCIs.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Silicon is high in both runs. I'd say it's increasing abrasive wear. also, fuel dilution is high, so both of these factors are increasing iron and aluminum.

I'd check the air filter and ducting, and run a couple of short dino runs to clean the engine out - then maybe try a longer SSO run.

I'll probably take apart the entire air cleaner assembly including the TB for cleaning that and the sensors and replace the filter, so I'll make sure everything is tight. Checked my logs and the Wix filter is now at 35k. Would it filter better and have more restriction being in there for so long? So if I replace it, all else being equal, would Si go up?

Originally Posted By: buster

A know a lot of people who feel the same way. It's 5 bucks a dose and I feel the engine start up easier with it in there.

I'll sample the OCI after this 10k run, one with a dose then do a final one without a dose (15k each), maybe finally see if it's worth that 5 bucks on paper. See you in 3 years. lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back