Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
Originally Posted By: buster
This is the most ridiculous set of UOA's in BITOG history and biggest waste of oil/$.
Why worry, its not out of your pocket.

Worried? lol. I just hate to see a good oil go to waste, and technically, it makes zero sense to use it in this particular situation. My .02

To each their own though. Good luck with it but I would look into that coolant leak.

I always used the Honda stuff, whatever 5W-30 oil they used from that hose suspended from the ceiling and one of those blue Honda oil filters. I usually changed the oil at around 3,000 miles, I'm sure trhat won't come as a shock.

The coolant leak - is the HG going?

I'm just suprised you haven't invested more time/effort into fixing that....you obviously want you car to last.

Now that it is out, have you ever thought about using the new OE 5W-30 to save a bit on your 3k drains?

I second the use of the OE oil. It has been great to me in both my 98 Camry V6 with 5k OCIs to a newer Civic running it for 8,000 miles OCIs with plenty of TBN left.

I agree that the AZO @ 3k OCIs is a serious waste.

I have added those anti leak pills with limited success, I will have to add a couple more as I had the anti freeze changed recently.
As far as the AZO, I just want to use the best oil available. Keeping the wear particles low is my priority. Between the AZO, the magnetic drain plug, magnetic oil filters and the EAO oil filter, I feel that I am accomplishing that. I don't want to go to a bypass system although it sounds like a very good thing to add.

The best oil available would be any SN rated synthetic. Amsoil OE is a VERY good oil, IMO.

You're using an oil designed for extended drain intervals.

My UOA from my 07 Civic EX showed zero difference in wear between OE and SSO, except for the added TBN.

I'd use pretty much all of OE's additives after 8k miles vs SSO having 3.0 TBN left after 10k.

I know for a fact that your wear metals would be the same if you ran Amsoil OE for 3k.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: harry j
The engine only takes a little more than 3 QTS, how much of a savings would that add up to anyway?

Seeing as you need 4 quarts to refill.
With PC pricing thats 4 x $8.15 each = $32.60
Amsoil OE is 4 x $4.70 = $18.80

in 20,000 miles @ 3k OCIs you'll save $97.20 if you use OE.
thumbsup2.gif
(not counting top off quarts)

Use that $97 towards a new head gasket or something.

Since changing to the synthetic oil, my engine doesn't use any oil, so top offs are no longer necessary.
After installing a new head gasket, the potassium intrusion has been mitigated somewhat, so there must be some other issue. The anti leak tabs do help and I will persue that remedy again soon.
I see everyones point about how the AZO oil is designed for extended drain intervals, I get that, I just want to use the highest quality oil available, is there a better oil overall?

If you like using Amsoil, and don't trust the 'bottom rung' stuff, maybe just step-down to XL 5W-30? Probably one of the highest-quality group-III syn oils you can get.

Honestly, at 3k intervals, you won't really be able to tell the difference between ANY oil.

I used Mobil 1 0W-30 in my SO's Accord with no issues, good stuff. What should I do with the 3 cases of AZO that I have on hand?

I don't have to use Amsoil, I use it because it's supposed to be the finest oil out there. The AZO is top of the line and that is what I want.

I just want to use the highest quality oil available, is there a better oil overall?

That's a loaded question, and can get a thread locked. LOL For 3000 mile intervals there are plenty of better oils. At least in my opinion.

I used Mobil 1 0W-30 in my SO's Accord with no issues, good stuff. What should I do with the 3 cases of AZO that I have on hand?

shocked2.gif
Craigslist.
grin2.gif

Okay, what I want to know is whether the car is loosing coolant anymore? Is it leaking while running at the weep hole? According to my manual, that is normal for some weeping there. You could have a small leak at the thermostat housing???

But really, even the UOA you just posted can't 'confirm' new coolant entry. Get another test and see if numbers trend, it could always be residual stuff, you could also get a leak down test as well...just another idea to check other component's health.

Originally Posted By: Artem

shocked2.gif
Craigslist.
grin2.gif

He could always drive to Atlanta and give it to me for a reasonable price, if he needs to head this way. I'd use it for 10,000 mile OCIs in the VX.
banana2.gif

grin2.gif

I have added those anti leak pills with limited success, I will have to add a couple more as I had the anti freeze changed recently.
As far as the AZO, I just want to use the best oil available. Keeping the wear particles low is my priority. Between the AZO, the magnetic drain plug, magnetic oil filters and the EAO oil filter, I feel that I am accomplishing that. I don't want to go to a bypass system although it sounds like a very good thing to add.

Unfortunately, the coolant leak is working against what you desire here.... I'd try to get that remedied ASAP. There is more of a benefit in having this fixed than using oil from God's own stash is going to prevent in wear.

ltslimjim said:
Okay, what I want to know is whether the car is loosing coolant anymore? Is it leaking while running at the weep hole? According to my manual, that is normal for some weeping there. You could have a small leak at the thermostat housing???

But really, even the UOA you just posted can't 'confirm' new coolant entry. Get another test and see if numbers trend, it could always be residual stuff, you could also get a leak down test as well...just another idea to check other component's health.
Artem said:
There are no obvious external leaks. The UOA trend shows that a small amount of coolant is entering the oil. A couple of anti leak pills slowed the amount seen in the oil.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

There are no obvious external leaks. The UOA trend shows that a small amount of coolant is entering the oil. A couple of anti leak pills slowed the amount seen in the oil.

Another reason to get a leak down test performed, probably would confirm a cracked head gasket, but it may not be 'blown' yet. Stressed, but not 'gone'. Address this now and save the engines life...but get a leak down test to confirm suspicions.

Back