Amsoil signature vs European?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably haven't had the car since new I take it? Probably had a rather neglected oil life on bulk 5w-30 by the previous owner so that's why you're seeing consumption
smile.gif

I bought the car about 5k ago. I have service records from the previous owner showing Mobil oil for the previous 20 k or so.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
I bought the car about 5k ago. I have service records from the previous owner showing Mobil oil for the previous 20 k or so.

How many miles are on the engine? What Mobil products were used? How much oil is it using?

Wow...that is not going to be fixed by any oil. May seem like a stupid question, but have the spark plugs been changed? and are they down in a tube? Is there any sign of leaks?

Last edited:
I was told they were changed. I haven't been down in there to check yet as it calls for double platinums and it needs 6 and I haven't felt like spending the money yet.

The reason I ask, is if the plugs are recessed, (down in a tube per say) not blowing debris out of the recessed area where the plug is, prior to removal, can allow debris (sand and dirt) to fall into the combustion chamber. The result can be scored cylinder walls and immediate oil consumption. This has destroyed many good engines.

Do a compression test against specs. That will tell ya.

Last edited:
For some reason I thought it was over a quart but it's only used half a quart... Idk what the **** I was thinking when I checked. Wow lol

Originally Posted By: BrianC
The reason I ask, is if the plugs are recessed, (down in a tube per say) not blowing debris out of the recessed area where the plug is, prior to removal, can allow debris (sand and dirt) to fall into the combustion chamber. The result can be scored cylinder walls and immediate oil consumption. This has destroyed many good engines.

Do a compression test against specs. That will tell ya.

It seems like only an idiot would let that happen, not a reputable shop though lol.

Quote:
It seems like only an idiot would let that happen, not a reputable shop though lol.
It happens way too often in shops & dealerships that should know better. It's called "shortcuts" at the owners future expense.

A car gets a tune up, new plugs etc. The numb nut replacing the plugs fails to blow the debris out of the recessed cavities. whatever is in there falls into the cylinders. RESULT=scored cylinder walls. Instant oil burner. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to replace spark plugs, but it does require someone who cares and doesn't take short cuts.

Originally Posted By: 02s4audi
Is the half a quart I consumed in 1000 miles a concern really?
IMHO that is more than it should be, but not critical. Are you sure there are no leaks? Valve covers etc?

Well, as someone earlier had suggested, run it abit harder, maybe do a short oil change or two to make sure there are no sludge issues, or stuck rings, and see if that helps, it could be you have some sludge in there that a short change will deal with. Some of those early 2001/2002 VW engines were sludge producers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back