Amsoil series 3000 5w-30 hdd anybody used it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys

was thinking about using Amsoil series 3000 5w-30 hdd in my acura tsx, anybody here used it before?

You might be on to something in using a diesel oil in a gasoline direct injection DI engine. As I've been reading on these forums, SWRI and Lubrizol articles, etc., those DIs can produce a lot of soot, which might need surrounding with diesel engine oil.

Yep, I've mentioned to use it in the DI's before.

VERY stout oil.

If you use it, report back your current oil's UOA, then with a UOA of the HDD for a comparison analysis.

I use it in my motorcycle. I have used it off an on in my zero turn mower, along with amsoil motorcycle oil.

Last edited:
I use it in my Corolla (non DI) with good results. I have a UOA posted here as well as pics of the filter after a ~12000 mile run.

I knew a stripper gal gear-head a couple of years ago that swore diesel engine oil should be used in gas cars, like her Mitsubishi Fast-n-Furious Evo. Still, she was a stripper, so I didn't believe her, but pretended to for obvious reasons.

Oils (SN) designed for current gasoline formulations, contain anti-corrosive additives to fight the issues with ethanol.

Oils designed solely for diesel engines lack this additive due to the absence of ethanol in diesel fuel.

Also older gasoline engine oil formulations (prior to when ethanol was introduced in our gasoline) lack this protection.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
You might be on to something in using a diesel oil in a gasoline direct injection DI engine. As I've been reading on these forums, SWRI and Lubrizol articles, etc., those DIs can produce a lot of soot, which might need surrounding with diesel engine oil.

It is also for gasoline cars, speaking to the Amsoil dealer where I bought he said his been using gasoline cars for a long time with great results.

I've used it in the past, for winter OCIs (despite it's slightly higher HTHSV than most 5W-30s), to try and fend off fuel dilution, and cold running with it's phenomenal TBN (one of THE highest starting TBNs of ANY oil at the time I was using it).

I also figured I could push the OCI pretty far with this stuff in the sump, and I did at times go > 10K on a LATE FALL-WINTER-LATE SPRING OCI.

I never did a UOA on it (still don't think they are worth it, or tell one enough info), so I cannot give (the limited) data points they do show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back