Amsoil S2k 20w-50 vs Mobil 1 15w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of running a 50wt oil this summer to see how it effects oil consumption and performance. I have to keep my car 2 more years and with 155k on it, I'd like to limit oil consumption. With all M1, Amsoil and RL 30wt oils, I was using 1qt every 3k on average. So for a 10k mile extended drain with a 4qt sump, thats 75% of the oil being burned off which IMO is just too high and will foul up the plugs.

Now, I know both of these oils appear very close in specs., but does anyone know which is more friction modified? I think this is important especially bc its a 4cyl and I'd like to keep my mpg fairly resonable. And no, I don't think thicker oils are better then the thin. This car has a TSB on it and has oil consumption by design. I'm hoping I can fix this by going to a heavier weight.

There's no comparison ...if you want to waste some money, run the 15w-50 first and then the S2000....

You can't make an $8.35/qt oil for $4.77/qt ....

TS

I still have my pref. membership with Amsoil so I'm looking at $6.35qt vs $5qt. Ted, the 15w-50 looks fairly comparable spec. wise. I see your point in terms of price, but I always factor in the fact that EM makes their own additives. Amsoil is buying all their additives from various suppliers...markup.
smile.gif
- Suprisingly, the S2k 0w-30 was the best oil in terms of consumption I've used among all oils.
shocked.gif

[ March 12, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

I'm hoping I can fix this by going to a heavier weight.

No kidding . It will last another two years on a high mileage oil just as well as on a synlube at this stage in it's lifespan .

Why not try the less expensive Castrol HM 10w-30 or 10w-40 and run it out aways to see how it does for you . You might not want to go back to a synlube in this latter stage of the motors life .

Besides , if you ran it out a ways i'd send you a free analysis kit to see how it does as many miles as you drive .

Hmmm free kit , less expensive oil . Is that a deal or what
smile.gif

Thanks Motorbike. I'm trying to push drains though to 10k, without using 75% of the oil from burnoff. I'm also tired of changing the oil. I also might keep this car until it dies. My next car could very well end up being a rear wheel drive sports car so I will need to keep a front wheel drive car around for snow in the winter...unless we move to southern Cali....
cool.gif

Buster,

The price of raw materials is only one small factor in the price of any consumer product....

EM has a tremendous amount of corporate overhead to content with. They also have to deal with the effect of regional conflicts, liability insurance if they have another tanker run aground, a huge infrastructure and hundreds of thousands of salaried employees with health benefits and all sorts of things ....

A telling comparison is that Delvac 1 and the Amsoil 15w-40 are very comparable oils, and the 15w-40 is actually LESS expensive ....

quote:

I'm also tired of changing the oil.

Man your not the only one
smile.gif

Synlubes ...gotta love em
smile.gif

BTW did you see where in the one TGA Scan the Castrol 10w-40 burned off less then the Delvac 1 ?

Free kit if you try the Castrol
smile.gif
Hey I'll expand a bit . Today I'll include the 5w-50 Syntec along with the 10w-40
wink.gif

Most likely I'm going to go with S2k 20w-50. It's a very well built oil and heavily friction modified and I should be able to run it to 10K + miles without using that much oil. So, JohnBrowning and Dr.T, I'll give you my review in a few months after I rack up a few K miles on it.
wink.gif
My car holds 4qts of oil and in a 9k mile interval, 3 are being burned off. This is my whole reasoning to switching to a thicker oil. I just put irridium plugs in this car not too long ago and I'd be real pissed if they start to get screwed up from the oil burn off. Those things are $$. They last a long time though in normal conditions. I do think in this case, it's the nature of the engine causing the oil burn off as indicated by the TSB put out by Toyota, and not from using a 30wt oil.

[ March 12, 2004, 06:39 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
There's no comparison ...if you want to waste some money, run the 15w-50 first and then the S2000....

You can't make an $8.35/qt oil for $4.77/qt ....

TS

But you can make a 4.77/qt oil, and charge 8.35/qt for it.
grin.gif
wink.gif
Just teasing, but I would like to see some evidence that the amsoil is that much better, to justify the extra cost.
cheers.gif

quote:

would like to see some evidence that the amsoil is that much better, to justify the extra cost.

I would too. Spec. sheets are identical for the most part. The M1 does have an excellent reputation but so does S2k.
smile.gif

[ March 12, 2004, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

buster an hour ago after annual engine dyno check I changed from BP Visco 5000 5W40 a 13.95cSt 40W to Pennzoil Performax 100 5W50 18.7cSt oil. Instantly quieter and smoother and temperature guage indicates running a touch cooler. NGK Iridium plug from cyl #1 showed signs of oil with the 40W so I'll be interested to see how consumption goes. PureONE filter was leaking at the gasket too which hasn't occurred before. PureONE again this time.

sprintman, thanks. Do you have an experience with M1 15w-50?
smile.gif

I have a 99 Corolla with the same motor with the exception of the VVT-I.Never burns oil at all.50k miles.

buster no experience w/M1 15W50 but I'm led to believe it's available here now (we've had M1 5W50 for years). M1 15W50 will be the next oil I try (sujmmer). The Performax 5W50 should do well now the weather is cooling down. IMO the Visco 5000 was just too thin for my 1989 turbo engine (215,000kms)

Buster,

Ask someone who races off shore power boats with inboard motors which oil they like ...
wink.gif
. I can't think of a more severe application. When the props bounce out of the water you're exceeding the redline on a regular basis ....

I've run the S2000 for 18,000 miles/1 year in the Audi 100 - with almost no makeup oil - and see excellent wear rates. In fairness, it did thicken a bit ....

Ted

Ted, I'm sure the Amsoil is a great oil but I could say the M1 15w-50 is used by F1 teams, or used to be.
dunno.gif
What keeps me wondering are the price and marketing aspects of these oils. Amsoil is priced higher therefore you'd expect to have a better oil. Who knows....only one way to find out and that is to test them. Spec sheet wise, they are very similar.
smile.gif

[ March 13, 2004, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

LEts assume Amsoil S2K20W50 is better then M1 15W50. Is it really needed in you Carolla. I mean the main purpose here is to reduce oil consumption not reduce wear. Your wear rates are already great with 30Wt.

Do not get me wrong I am looking forward to seeing how S2K holds up in your Carolla but for long term you you have to ask if double the price is neeeded. I can not see you turning 10,000 RPMS or cruises for hours at a time at 120++ MPH. I am thinking that TBN and TBN retenion are going to be the main differences with Amsoil comeing out ahead in your application. If the 50Wt works out for you buster then the next logical thing to try come winter is a solid 5W40.

P.S. buster, M1 also has a 20W50 in the form of their V-Twin oil! I have been wanting to give that a try some time in the future!

John, the price difference for me is $5qt vs $6.35. Not too significant. As I said above, I might keep this car until it dies. My wife is off to Med school in 1.5yrs so we will be single income again. This has screwed up my plans for a new car. The only reason I'm going to a 50wt. oil is to eliminate oil consumption. The little Corolla doesn't need the best, but I'm a perfectionist and usually want the best.
grin.gif

quote:

New Mobil 1 makes
history at Indy 500
The newly reformulated Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with SuperSyn anti-wear technology paid off handsomely for this year’s Indianapolis 500 winner.

Mobil 1 15W-50 with SuperSyn helped propel Helio Castroneves and the Penske Racing Team into the record books as the first repeat Indy 500 winner in 31 years. That kind of performance is one reason more than half of the Indianapolis 500 entrants used Mobil 1 in their engines.

Available off the shelf in five grades across the United States, the new Mobil 1 is designed to deliver unsurpassed protection for all engines, whether at high speeds or in extreme heat and cold, dusty environments or stop-and-go traffic.

ExxonMobil researchers originally tested an experimental formulation with SuperSyn in drag racing, where supercharged engines producing up to 5,000 hp commonly fail. Nevertheless, racers found that their cars’ engine bearings and other lubricated parts were lasting longer.

Researchers then extended this added protection to road-going passenger cars with development of the new Mobil 1, which combines SuperSyn technology with a proprietary additive system.

[ March 13, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

quote:

would like to see some evidence that the amsoil is that much better, to justify the extra cost.

I would too. Spec. sheets are identical for the most part. The M1 does have an excellent reputation but so does S2k.
smile.gif

If they are that much close to each other, then go for the M1. I wish TS would explain his first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back