Amsoil S2k 20w-50 vs Mobil 1 15w-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
buster, Are you going to add some LC to your 15W50? I ask because I have been thinking for some time that LC mixed with OTC 15W50 would be close to the ultimate OTC oil combo! This was of course before the release of 5W40 SUV!

John, I won't be adding any LC to it. The S2k 20w-50 most likely won't go out of grade over 10k miles or more. The 15w-50 might bc it's a slightly greater spread. Again, my goal here is to cut down consumption. You guy's have convinced me to try thicker oils! In the winter, I'll drop back down 2 viscosities.

buster, I know all about the 1 income situation!! I also have three children in the mix! If it does come down to a need for increasesd viscosity then that is an easy fix. You could easily use one of the HDDO for 6000-7500 miles in 15W40 dureing the summer months and then go with the lighter synthetic of your choice for the coldmonths. If this solved consuption and slightly reduced your cost while the wife is in school it would be a win win situation.

Buster,

The 15w-50 does have the best add pack of all the M1 formulations.... In fact, it has the add pack they SHOULD use with the 0w-40, since there are NO API phosphorus limits on xw-40 grades ....Mobil uses a wimpy GF-3 add pack with the 0w-40 to maximize profits
smile.gif
I'd bet the profit margin on their 15w-50 is very low ....

The volatility of the 15w-50 is also excellent - down around 5% as I recall and it will significantly reduce oil consumption. Since it's a 15wt, it's probably good for another 5F-10F on the cold end; compared to running 20w-50 ....

Ted

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

The volatility of the 15w-50 is also excellent - down around 5% as I recall and it will significantly reduce oil consumption. Since it's a 15wt, it's probably good for another 5F-10F on the cold end; compared to running 20w-50 ....

Ted

Well I'm sold ... he he . A 4 buck a quart oil with a NOAK of 5 !
wink.gif

Buster it now seems a no brainer
patriot.gif
Two oil changes for the price of one
wink.gif

The Mobil 1 is clearly a better buy. I want the one with the lowest coeficient of friction being it's going in a small 4cyl engine. I had great success with Amsoil 0w-30 with oil consumption as I only used 1.5 qts over a 7,700 mile interval. The car however, had much lower miles on it. If S2k 20w-50 is a better friction reducer, I'd use that. I wish there was an ASTM test for this that oil companies would put on their PDSheets.

quote:

AMSOIL Series 2000 20W-50 Synthetic Racing Oil reduces friction so effectively that virtually none of the engine's power is wasted on "drag." Its extraordinary formulation gives Series 2000 a coefficient of friction lower than that of other fine, race-formulated synthetic oils. With Series 2000, vehicles accelerate fast, attain top speeds and use fuel efficiently.

The Mobil 1 though is no slouch. Over 50% of F1 were using this oil. Then again, they were using Trisynthetic and that doesn't say much. I find it interesting how one is $5qt and the other is $8qt. That $3 difference is either more/higher quality chemistry or just the price you pay when buying additives from various suppliers and not having the advantage EM does in making your own.

[ March 14, 2004, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

FWIW, the guy's at Zul's racing no longer use Amsoil 20w-50 and have moved to M1 15w-50. Said it offers the same or better performance and is more readily available.

Buster,

Count me in 2...as soon as I finish my 2nd Auto-RX treatment rinse.

I plan to be brave and run Mobil 1 15W50 April -summer.

This board has made me brave enough to know that there is more to the world than Nr. 10W30 .

My only concern!!! Since it is a Race oil is it detergent delinquent causing dirtier engines. I have always though race oils in street engines are not wise unless you plan to rebuild it every day *lol*

quote:

Originally posted by outrun:
Since it is a Race oil is it detergent delinquent causing dirtier engines.

M1 15W-50 is NOT a 'race' oil AFAIK, it's an API-rated street oil WITH detergents/dispersants.

Did you mean 'detergent-deficient'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back