Amsoil re-design of filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil announces it is re-designing, re-engineering the few smaller affected filters. EAO 9, 10, 13, 57

Article did not say and this point. It just says replacements will come as soon as possible.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
They will probably be increasing the holding capacity. That's about all they need.

These must be a small filter i take it?

Yes. They're all of the smaller persuasion. They just couldn't make it under all service profiles encountered. I have to use a 057 on the wife's jeep. The oil cooler pushes the filter outboard too far and it can get nicked by the motor mount if the engine rocks jeeeeest a bit too much. I discovered it at first change out after the cooler install when I saw a small dent in the filter. To add insult to the injury, the impact point is biased to loosen the filter. It was finger tight.

In any event, I had no problem using it for 18k over 3+ OCI's when I was using MC 5w-20 in the engine for 5k OCIs. Naturally I didn't know how saturated it was, but under that type of service (that was around one year), I really don't think it was saturated.

Now some engine that transitioned through an overly rich warm up cycle and spent most of its life in that state?? That's another story.

They tend to fall into that size range. I think the main problem(s) are the engines that they're spec'd for. The Toy/Lesus stuff showed up relatively soon into the EaO line (after you filter how many and how soon customers would switch over). For the newest TSB, it took quite a bit longer to have any pattern form to bring it to Amsoil's attention. That's my speculation, anyway.

But I'm glad they're going for the redesign instead of just using other filters instead. The ONE YEAR filter is a no brainer for a ONE YEAR oil line.

thats small yes..

Right makes since,yea good to see there updating the old instead of just throwing out a different filter.

Quote:
AMSOIL Re-Designing Affected Filters
As previously announced, a small number of customers with vehicles from Honda, Acura, Toyota, Lexus and Pontiac (with Toyota-built engines) have reported that their vehicles’ oil pressure light has illuminated prior to reaching the end of the AMSOIL-recommended 25,000-mile drain interval (see announcement). These issues have been limited to a few smaller Ea Oil Filters (EaO13, EaO09, EaO10 and EaO57) and do not apply to the entire Ea Oil Filter line. The smaller filters can potentially fill with contaminants rapidly and limit the oil supply to the engine. Although these issues have only been reported in a few extreme cases, AMSOIL has taken steps to limit use of the affected filters on vehicles where these problems have occurred. AMSOIL is currently re-engineering the affected filters and replacements will be available as soon as possible. In the meantime, AMSOIL offers both WIX and MANN oil filters for the affected applications. If a WIX or MANN oil filter is used, AMSOIL recommends changing it at the OEM-recommended interval or 7,500 miles, whichever is longer, when using AMSOIL synthetic motor oil*. Check the AMSOIL Online Product Application Guide for the most up-to-date application information.

*Note: In gasoline-fueled vehicles, AMSOIL XL Synthetic Motor Oils are recommended for 7,500-mile/six month oil change intervals, or longer where stated by vehicle manufacturers or indicated by electronic oil life monitoring systems. Change aftermarket, OEM or AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter at every oil change.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
have reported that their vehicles’ oil pressure light has illuminated prior to reaching the end of the AMSOIL-recommended 25,000-mile drain interval

These filters didn't have a by pass?

What ever happened to the highly touted EaO88 for the 6.0 Powerstrokes? Seems they were supposed to redesign it or something, but instead came out with the SDF88 filter, which appears to be just a repackaged OEM filter that has to be changed at oem intervals.

Yeah, I forgot about the EAO88. They said there would be a redesign on them. As far as the filter reference book I use the the online lookup exclusively.

Originally Posted By: daman
I see,how small are they like a factory Briggs filter?

No. Actually they are Toyota/Honda/Nissan sizes. You can see where the EaO13, EaO09, EaO10 and EaO57 etc fit on this simple chart:

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ea_filters/eao_xref.aspx

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Yeah and I hope they update their filter reference listing at the same time... It seems the world ends after 2004...

Kindly refer me to the old chart(?) and I will notify Amsoil. The look-up guide may have some issues, but it's not 2004 vintage.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
What ever happened to the highly touted EaO88 for the 6.0 Powerstrokes?

I haven't heard anything lately, I will inquire.

have reported that their vehicles’ oil pressure light has illuminated prior to reaching the end of the AMSOIL-recommended 25,000-mile drain interval

Apparently the saturation is so high that the bypass isn't capable of maintaining the max allowed differential factored into the scheme. The robust design protects the media from collapse well enough, but (apparently) under some conditions that bypass cannot shunt enough flow around the media.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Apparently the saturation is so high that the bypass isn't capable of maintaining the max allowed differential factored into the scheme. The robust design protects the media from collapse well enough, but (apparently) under some conditions that bypass cannot shunt enough flow around the media.

Ahhh got ya so the bypass cant hanlde the flow im layman's terms,hard to believe that but..

so in this case good thing Amsoil don't follow the escrap design.
grin2.gif

Without Amsoil giving us the particulars (if they even know them) it's hard to determine where the failing was. Even with a fairly loaded filter, the PSID evaporates as the oil warms. You're basically working with a smaller filter at that point. This would be most apparent with colder oil at higher flow rates. If it was even more saturated, one could see this occurring with hot oil at higher outputs, but it's very hard to imagine it being an issue for the average joe putt-putting around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back