Amsoil PSF

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if the Amsoil power steering fluid is compatible with the regular GM/Saginaw psf. My car has been sitting out side lately and the pump makes bad noises for 30 seconds to a minute after sitting all night. I did a partial flush this past fall and used Valvoline fluid. But when -12f that stuff is thick!! It barely shakes in the bottle, and seems way thicker than the jug of Rotella 15w-40 sitting next to it on the shelf.

Anyway, it is very hard to actually do a full flush on my car, so I just sucked out the reservoir, and topped off. I did this every other day until I had 2 quarts through. The Amsoil site says nothing about compatibility with other fluids, and was wondering if the above mentioned plan will be OK with the Amsoil PSF.

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

The Amsoil PSF is a very good product. Only drawback that I see is the cost of buying enough to make up two quarts, if that's what it takes to completely flush your system. It will flow better in cold weather than standard PSF.

Whoa, thanks for the quick replies! The price (before shipping) is actually not much more than the Max Life syn that AAP can order, which has a stop leak that I do not really need or want. The dealer sells a GM low temp fluid that is absolutely crazy expensive at $26 a quart.

I will order the Amsoil today!

coffee2.gif

Yep, Team BITOG.

Amsoil PSF is an excellent choice.

A good way to prep/clean the PS system for the new fluid is to toss in a bottle of Lubegard PSF protectant.

Just a reminder to all, there are other synthetic PSFs that could help too with the cold issue. Amsoil, Redline, Royalpurple, Pentosin, JoeGibbs, Synlube, BG, Wynns, Gunk, Bardahl, Sweet .... make synthetic power steering fluids. If your local auto parts store doesn't carry it, check the specialty 4x4 or speed shops. Online purchase is usually pretty easy with all the brands.

The Amsoil PSF is working well in my 08 Corvette. These units may be sensitive to what fluid is used. The Valvoline synthetic PSF did not work in my car at all. Had to take it out within hours of putting it in. It was like it was to thick, didn't work especially during turns where it felt like I lost ALL power assist. Went with the Amsoil and no issues.

I started my PS flushing yesterday. The first thing I noticed is that the Amsoil PSF is just a little thicker than water at 15F. The Valvoline fluid is like liquid hand soap at the same temperature.

I sucked out the reservoir and put in 8oz of the Amsoil. I drove for 10 miles then repeated the process. The difference is already staggering! The boost/assist feels much more natural, and no more pump whine when turning against the lock. I will continue my fluid exchange until I get the other Amsoil bottle in. This should almost completely exchange the fluid. I wish GM would have used less hard metal line, there is simply nowhere to unhook a line and run it into a bottle to pump out the fluid.

Anyway, so far I am impressed with the Amsoil PSF!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back