Amsoil PSF vs Dexron III

There are good full visc synthetic ATF's that meet/exceed DexronIII. There are also unlicensed fluids that could have more 'compatibility' with multiple makes. I don't blindly use the latest greatest without reading the bottle label and manufacturer datasheet. DexronIII isn't licensed anymore so your are relying on bottler reputation. I don't use ANY conventional dex/merc, even from Toyota parts. Thats akin to looking for 20 year old bottles of API SG oil at the podunk town autoparts because you don't want to use a newer API SP/GF6 oil.

I would not blindly grab a Dexron VI from the GM dealer and add it to ANY non-GM product. And, I wouldn't use it in place of differentials, power steering, transfer cases, manual transmissions, or non GM automatic transmissions, without the bottler mentioning those automakers and components. Don't assume that the Dexron-VI can just blindly be used anywhere.

If I had a Toyota requiring DexronIII, I would use Mobil1 ATF, RedlineD4, or Amsoil ATL, and obviously and equivalent boutique competitor. I don't care for the pathetic performance of conventional ATF. Another good list of 'meets or exceeds', or listed suitable for 'dexronIII', by various brands, are the Allison TES 295/468/668/389. Some brands will state suitable for, meets exceeds.... the older specs. Others don't. This brings in the universal/multi-spec/multivehicle non-licensed ATFs that some love, and some love to hate.

The problem isn't with PSF's only. Did GM not come out with a new MT fluid for those manuals requiring DexronIII too, and specifically stated NOT to use DexronVI in those manual transmissions? So, backwards compatibility can NOT be assumed for any non-GM product, or even non traditional automatic transmissions, or Allisons that haven't been rebuilt with upgraded seals, or YOUR PSF, without the blender label/website or automaker specifically stating so.

Not licensed but recommend for:

Any mention of Dexron anymore:

When looking at Valvoline Maxlife ATF, because of pricing over the years, became overhyped super popular, does it EVER MENTION manual transmissions, power steering systems, transfer cases, or differentials, on the website or datasheet??? Think about how so many have been brainwashed and use it as steak sauce and wafflepancake syrup too. Luckily, Valvoline made it very mechanically(and not biologically) compatible for those that used it where it wasn't recommended. I would wager that a PSF, from those boutique manufacturers, would also have similar compatibility.

I would not blindly think that a licensed DexronVI does, or can be used everywhere blindly. My Toyota's did not call for a DexronVI or LV ATF their automatic transmissions, power steering systems, or differentials. So, I would recommend the full visc ATF, and a full synthetic upgrade when/if in budget.

This is beyond what the threadstarter asked..... synth boutique PSF vs unlicensed conventional DexronIII.... I would take the synth PSF.

Doesn't even mention ATF or Dexron but can be used where:
Pretty sure over the years that MotorMedic, Gunk, Bardahl.... also had Asian PSF's that didn't mention 'dexron' either.

And then you have this PSF, for use where all those ATF's were originally spec'd, but not in your automatic transmission:
A lot of extraneous nonsense here and absolutely nothing in those links that would indicate otherwise.

FWIW I use Royal Purple Max EZ in my Toyota, as the RP rep suggested when i inquired. The viscosity is very close to Dex III and everything is working well.

I assume Amsoil would also work well, but I would consult their site and/or rep to ask which specific product is best suited for this application.

Nonsense what I am trying to prevent, like using DexronVI anywhere DexIII was recommended.

Links provide products that can be used in place of Dexron III.

RoyalPurple PSF is good stuff. RoyalPurple ATF went from standard viscosity to low viscosity.... its obvious when you read the label.

Last edited:
All of my cars are Toyotas. Most of them require Dexron III for use in the power steering. Would I be making a mistake that could
shorten the life expectancy of my power steering components by using Amsoil PSF in place of the Dexron III? I have read in a forum
or two that I should stick with the Dexron III. Would I be increasing the longevity of my PS units with the Amsoil PSF?

I can buy the Toyota Dexron III that says it's ATF and PSF on the label.

And yes, I asked a very similar question in 2019.;)

Yes, stick with DexronIII, look at the specs of DexronIII versus Amsoil PSF. How did Dexron VI get brought into your discussion. I do not care if Dexron6 is backed speced, it is a thinner fluid and there is no benefit in vehicles that are speced for DexronIII

As far as transmissions, I have read and observed people having issues putting in Dexron 6 in transmissions that are speced for Dexron III, there are times where thicker is better!

Last edited:
Nonsense what I am trying to prevent, like using DexronVI anywhere DexIII was recommended.

Links provide products that can be used in place of Dexron III.

RoyalPurple PSF is good stuff. RoyalPurple ATF went from standard viscosity to low viscosity.... its obvious when you read the label.
I guess I’m still missing the part where it says that license supersession is only applicable to GM vehicles. So in my old Honda I should not use DEXRON-VI (or even a clone DEXRON-III) because the owner’s manual lists DEXRON-II?

A license is issued by the license holder and specifies the properties the fluid. If the holder says that there has been a supercession and the later license supersedes prior licenses, then that’s what matters.

Do you have anything from the license holder showing supercession only applies to GM vehicles?

@Greasymechtech "...My Toyota's did not call for a DexronVI or LV ATF their automatic transmissions, power steering systems, or differentials. So, I would recommend the full visc ATF, and a full synthetic upgrade when/if in budget.

But..."If I had a Toyota requiring DexronIII, I would use Mobil1 ATF, RedlineD4, or Amsoil ATL, and obviously and equivalent boutique competitor...."

But Amsoil ATL "is" an LV ATF fluid at 6.3cSt:

Yes, stick with DexronIII, look at the specs of DexronIII versus Amsoil PSF. How did Dexron VI get brought into your discussion. I do not care if Dexron6 is backed speced, it is a thinner fluid and there is no benefit in vehicles that are speced for DexronIII

As far as transmissions, I have read and observed people having issues putting in Dexron 6 in transmissions that are speced for Dexron III, there are times where thicker is better!
The licenses specify the properties of the fluid. DEXRON-VI does start out thinner but the shear stability is greatly improved over prior DEXRON licenses. After a short period of time the DEXRON-VI fluid is thicker than an equivalent DEXRON-III fluid.

DEXRON-VI is superior in every way.

@Greasymechtech "...My Toyota's did not call for a DexronVI or LV ATF their automatic transmissions, power steering systems, or differentials. So, I would recommend the full visc ATF, and a full synthetic upgrade when/if in budget.

But..."If I had a Toyota requiring DexronIII, I would use Mobil1 ATF, RedlineD4, or Amsoil ATL, and obviously and equivalent boutique competitor...."

But Amsoil ATL "is" an LV ATF fluid at 6.3cSt:

Typo.... ATF...

I recently used ATL in place of WS.

The licenses specify the properties of the fluid. DEXRON-VI does start out thinner but the shear stability is greatly improved over prior DEXRON licenses. After a short period of time the DEXRON-VI fluid is thicker than an equivalent DEXRON-III fluid.

DEXRON-VI is superior in every way.
What equivalent DexronIII? some conventional swill from 20 years ago?
And is why I recommend full synthetics....

I guess I’m still missing the part where it says that license supersession is only applicable to GM vehicles. So in my old Honda I should not use DEXRON-VI (or even a clone DEXRON-III) because the owner’s manual lists DEXRON-II?

A license is issued by the license holder and specifies the properties the fluid. If the holder says that there has been a supercession and the later license supersedes prior licenses, then that’s what matters.

Do you have anything from the license holder showing supercession only applies to GM vehicles?

That comes from GM bulletins when Dexron VI was released. 04-07-30-037A 04-07-30-037B
Didn't list PSFs, MT's, or non-GM products.

Also, I would not use a low viscosity ATF in your old Honda, or any vehicle with an unknown condition transmission with unknown gasket/seals/adhesives/etc. I've found that some tired higher mileage Jatcos/Aisins just worked better with the thicker ATFs when serviced.

Only Nissan added Dexron6 as an option for their PSF. Honda/Toyota... are silent.... for any/all sumps calling for DexronII or III, as are others using obsolete fluids indefinitely.

I haven't seen any GM bulletins recommending their DexronVI for older Toyota/Honda/Nissan transmissions. Its for those automakers to catch up with the times or keep silent. They kept silent. How many vehicles out there have fluids/specs that aren't available or common anymore?

You can use whatever you want in your vehicle. I know what I won't use, unless hypermiling with a spare rack/pump and transmission in the garage. The majority can't swap or rebuild on demand, and many would dispose of an older vehicle instead of an expensive repair.

Valvoline makes a full visc Mercon-V that mentions DexronII and III in their spec sheet. I would have no issue using MerconV in place of DexII/III if a person doesn't want the expense of Mobil1, Amsoil ATF, or Redline D4...... Castrol also has their highmileage Transmax.

What equivalent DexronIII? some conventional swill from 20 years ago?
And is why I recommend full synthetics....

That comes from GM bulletins when Dexron VI was released. 04-07-30-037A 04-07-30-037B
Didn't list PSFs, MT's, or non-GM products.

Also, I would not use a low viscosity ATF in your old Honda, or any vehicle with an unknown condition transmission with unknown gasket/seals/adhesives/etc. I've found that some tired higher mileage Jatcos/Aisins just worked better with the thicker ATFs when serviced.

Only Nissan added Dexron6 as an option for their PSF. Honda/Toyota... are silent.... for any/all sumps calling for DexronII or III, as are others using obsolete fluids indefinitely.

I haven't seen any GM bulletins recommending their DexronVI for older Toyota/Honda/Nissan transmissions. Its for those automakers to catch up with the times or keep silent. They kept silent. How many vehicles out there have fluids/specs that aren't available or common anymore?

You can use whatever you want in your vehicle. I know what I won't use, unless hypermiling with a spare rack/pump and transmission in the garage. The majority can't swap or rebuild on demand, and many would dispose of an older vehicle instead of an expensive repair.

Valvoline makes a full visc Mercon-V that mentions DexronII and III in their spec sheet. I would have no issue using MerconV in place of DexII/III if a person doesn't want the expense of Mobil1, Amsoil ATF, or Redline D4...... Castrol also has their highmileage Transmax.
That GM bulletin documents the improvements thst DEXRON-VI brings, one of them being the greatly increased shear stability which renders DEXRON-VI thicker than older fluids. It’s ultimately not a low-viscosity fluid. I used it for many years in my old BMW 530i, and then Maxlife for many more. I also use Maxlife in my old Accord and have done so for well over 150,000 miles.

The only thing that is superior about a clone DEXRON-III fluid is the price.

That GM bulletin documents the improvements thst DEXRON-VI brings, one of them being the greatly increased shear stability which renders DEXRON-VI thicker than older fluids. It’s ultimately not a low-viscosity fluid. I used it for many years in my old BMW 530i, and then Maxlife for many more. I also use Maxlife in my old Accord and have done so for well over 150,000 miles.

The only thing that is superior about a clone DEXRON-III fluid is the price.
I know you will think I'm a little twisted but my Toyota OEM Dex III ATF/Power Steering Fluid cost me $11/qt by the case. I'm just saying.... ;)

Back