13 suburban getting new rack and pump, which PSF

13 Suburban has leaking pump at the shaft. Rack was also written up at dealer for leaks.

Current symptoms are intermittent squeal, with occasional low speed hesitation in steering feel when in parking lot maneuvering.

Flushed a couple times in the past 35k miles, with the most recent flush of TES-295. Recent new pressure hose.

I'm going to replace them myself with AC Delco pump and Plews & Edelmann rack. (Couldn't find new ACD rack) and new return hoses. Also add a PS filter with magnet.

What fluid?
Redline PSF
Redline AT4
Prestone
Lube guard

I have the service instructions for bleeding (up to 40 SW lock to lock engine off, wheels off the ground)

Than off to the alignment shop.
Thanks in advance

Last time I used LG PSF in this vehicle, 2nd flush, it turned dark within a year. Likely due to pump going out, but not sure.

Looking at pricing,
Prestone ~$9-10 qt (less per qt for gal jug) no leak stop
Royal purple ~$7.50 12oz @ O'Reily's
Redline PSF ~$19 qt
Synthetic prestone ~$12 12oz
Lub Guard ~$18
Redline D4/6 ~20-22 qt

I will check Amsoil psf

I've had no problems with this over the years, although I still use CHF 11s in my MB's, Folks in the Hyundai forums rave about this as an upgrade to PSF-3/4.

1696681199220.png

I dunno this vehicle specifically, but I thought GM vehicles, when they got new PS and racks, they got filled with Dex VI.

I was never a fan of universal fluids, I always preferred to use the mfg's trademark brand (even though it's licensed).

p.s. it also dawns on me that GM makes so many components replaceable, when on other cars, they last the life of the vehicle. And I'm a GM fanboy just sayin'

It's a tad bit frustrating, when the shop manual says, step 39. Remove transfer case, for a $150 part.

A GM pump? I’d install a filter after repair(which you already said you’re doing) and fill that system with Supertech high mileage atf.

A GM pump? I’d install a filter after repair(which you already said you’re doing) and fill that system with Supertech high mileage atf.
Yep, GM OEM pump. Couldn't find new GM rack, so I chose Edelmann with the lifetime warranty.
Since it's all new, not sure about high mileage (seal conditioners) benefit. Affordable and good, but...

------------------------------------------------

I had seen a post from @MolaKule about Choosing Amsoil over Redline in the newer GM's. (If memory serves) He listed the PN, but it wasn't the same as the PN in my owners manual. So I'm not sure what years the "newer" GM PN was in reference to.

Rock Auto should deliver the parts this coming week.

Not sure why I'm OCD, with 160+k miles on the vehicle, this new steering system will last until I trade up in 3 or 4 years.

It is good to get other's experience and knowledge tho.

We are basically just talking about hydraulic fluid with varying dye colors. I would actually tend toward the cheapest I could find that has good low flow and high temperature characteristics. The seals in the pump and rack are probably happiest without any group III/IV/V at all. I know that the hydraulic fluids we use in heavy industry don't appear to have much of any add pack in them if their MSDS is to be believed. Power steering/hydraulics in all its forms has been around more than a century. What were they using all those years? Seems maybe marketing has outpaced functionality in this case. Use what GM suggests and don't overthink it.

Excellent Point sloinker!

Been reading GM TSB's that talk about about converting to Dex VI, then updated to Dex HP ULV, then Pentosin CHF202(?) For noise in cold.
I certainly don't need the expense of Pentosin.

Earlier TSB (2015ish ?)It mentioned if the gear is changed, or the rack pinion seal is changed, to convert to Dexron VI. Put the reservoir "Dexron VI" sticker around the filler neck. (I'll need to find one of those stickers)

So I think I will fill with Dexron, factory recommended (for new racks, via TSB's)

Cheap and easy to come by.

On a related note:
I couldn't find where Mobil1 has a dexron VI ATF.

I see Mobil has a version, but not Mobil1.
Am I just missing it?

Be careful using the store bought fluids. If you read the Super Tech brand or some Prestone brands it will say only for top off and not full fluid replacement. That's enough for me to feel that the fluid is not acceptable to use for a full flush much less to use at all.

I use boring old AC Delco.
You need to get out more often, live a little...

No all kidding aside on the original rack, I did too. I didn't want to try to "figure out" what PS fluid actually is and try Prestone etc. I'd rather do that with A1 steak sauce!

Yep, GM OEM pump. Couldn't find new GM rack, so I chose Edelmann with the lifetime warranty.
Since it's all new, not sure about high mileage (seal conditioners) benefit. Affordable and good, but...

------------------------------------------------
I like the fact that it’s a replacement for dex3/Mercon which is what I’ve always used in non Honda conventional PS systems. I say conventional as I believe it was Chrysler that had a weird electric over hydraulic system that called for its own unique fluid.

Been reading GM TSB's that talk about about converting to Dex VI, then updated to Dex HP ULV, then Pentosin CHF202
I'm unable to find a TSB that mentions anything in regards to Dex, only an upgrade to CHF202 for temps below -35c, due to a whine.
if the gear is changed, or the rack pinion seal is changed, to convert to Dexron VI. Put the reservoir "Dexron VI" sticker around the filler neck.
Or this ⬆️ .

What I did find, is that 89021184 is still the recommended fluid, hence my vote for Prestone in post #4. However, I was unaware that the Prestone is dyed green, and therefore, retract my recommendation of Prestone. Alternatively, I recommend the aforementioned GM 89021184 (or similar), to maintain the original colour fluid (amber) to assist in any possible future leak detection that may arise.

Mea Culpa. The Dex VI was not listed for full size SUV's that I could find..

The Dexron HP, however, included full size SUV's.
"Steering
Bulletin No.: 13-02-32-001B
Date: July, 2013"

The TSB mentions
During extremely low temperatures, -35°C (-31°F) or
lower (usually in the -40°C/F or less range), the power
steering fluid may thicken and the power steering
system pressures may rise, causing damage to various
components.
It kinda states the obvious here imo. Yep, at extreme cold, oil may thicken causing a rise in pressure.
I'm sure GM words these TSB's very carefully. I suspect this may have come from a lot of customers complaining about noisy pumps and not all of them, (likely most) we're not operating their vehicles at -35c.
Just spit ballin here, but winter weather leads to lots of noisy steering complaints. Noise is not uncommon for the P/S systems.

This round, my primary concern is leaks, and the Intermittent SW feedback during parking lot maneuvering.

So, I resolve to replace the pump, gear, hoses and try Dexron HP.

Dex HP is listed as full synthetic & can be had for about $10-$14/qt.
cheaper than Lubeguard PSF.

I hope to get the parts replaced by this weekend.
I will update. Just replacing the parts will do wonders. I just hope the Dex HP works good me.

Back