Amsoil OE 5w30 - 5,670 - 1998 Toyota Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster

I didn't realize at the time it met all those specs. dexos1 in particular. I don't know, it's a close call with the dealer price.

banana2.gif
That's what i said! I plan to take it up as high as the UOA will allow. Sure its not 100% accurate but for test purposes only, in my "mature" application, i feel pretty good pushing the limits a bit.

I have no interest in the OE oil.

I agree, but that new XL line looks interesting. I'm using the ASL right now in both vehicles, but on the next OCI, if the ASL hasn't met dexos, I'm going to give the XL a try.

Last edited:
Again, has someone named a product that will OUTPERFORM OE for the same price (consistently priced, sales don't count)? No. [/quote]

The problem with this quote and with oils like Amsoil, Redline, etc. is that stores like AAP, OReillys, AZ and Napa run oil specials every month. In other words, on any given day I can get a superb oil filter along with 5 quarts of synthetic oil for under $30. And then there is Wal-mart which always prices these synthetic oils under $5.00 a quart if you buy the 5 quart jug. So when you say "consistently priced, sales don't count" the fact of the matter is that those sales are consistent. Also, since most people here do OCIs under 7500 miles your comment about "outperforming Amsoil OE" is irrelevant, plus the fact that you haven't even proved that it is superior or inferior to anything else. Sorry, but I'll stick to my conveniently low-priced and just as good synthetic oil.

Last edited:
I don't think its fair to compare one oil at RETAIL cost (or Wholesale if available) to something that is on SALE.

I don't know the prices on various other oils so i'll list the one i know best... Mobil 1 EP

Price in Quarts

Autozone = $8.49
Walmart = $7.30

Now if you look at the fact that it USED to cost $6.99 at Autozone when the EP line first came out, i wonder... whats the wholesale cost of M1 EP? $5 a quart?

For 15,000 miles worth of protection, i think thats a crazy deal.

I bought 4 cases of M1 EP when it was on sale at AAP for $4 a quart. Now if they can GIVE it away at that price, again i wonder, how much is the oil actually worth???

I'm sure if Amsoil would offer monthly sales on the OE line for example, or at least offered it in 5q jugs at a discount, OE would be EVEN MORE affordable.

Considering that its SN rated, i think its priced pretty well.

QS Ultimate Durability is $5.97qt.

at Wally world?

Originally Posted By: Artem
I don't think its fair to compare one oil at RETAIL cost (or Wholesale if available) to something that is on SALE.

I don't know the prices on various other oils so i'll list the one i know best... Mobil 1 EP

Price in Quarts

Autozone = $8.49
Walmart = $7.30

Now if you look at the fact that it USED to cost $6.99 at Autozone when the EP line first came out, i wonder... whats the wholesale cost of M1 EP? $5 a quart?

For 15,000 miles worth of protection, i think thats a crazy deal.

I bought 4 cases of M1 EP when it was on sale at AAP for $4 a quart. Now if they can GIVE it away at that price, again i wonder, how much is the oil actually worth???

I'm sure if Amsoil would offer monthly sales on the OE line for example, or at least offered it in 5q jugs at a discount, OE would be EVEN MORE affordable.

Considering that its SN rated, i think its priced pretty well.

Artem, most (if not all) people in BITOG know that it is always cheaper to buy the 5 quart bottles at Wal-mart or the other auto stores that have begun to carry it. Mobil EP's price varies on a daily basis at Wal-mart but I see it regularly between $26.00-$28.50. That is no where near the $7 or $8 a quart that you quote but a lot closer to $5.00 or to be more exact around $5.50 a quart and these are everyday prices. Also, again you are missing the point that stores like AAP and AZ run these oil specials every month. Unless you are bent on just getting one brand of oil there is always a special for you plus the fact that Wal-mart sells most synthetic between $4 to $5 a quart on a daily basis. Just recently I believe AA had 5 quarts of PP and a Bosch Distance filter for $26.99.

Personally, I'm impressed with this oil.

To start with, it looks EXACTLY like I thought it would - same basic add-pack as ASL/ATM (moly/boron combo), just at lower rates (2k Ca vs. 3k+ Ca for ASL/ATM)

It did well - 5600 miles in a tough-on-oil engine, and viscosity is still comfortably in the 30-weight range, and there is TBN to spare. If you consider that this oil took the place of XL 7500, then this oil will do 7500 comfortably, while XL has moved up to the 10k club of OCI's.

Good stuff!

^Couldn't agree with you more, Addyguy.

The oil is still currently in the car (decided to go against Blackstone on this one) since i NEED to extend my OCIs in this particular application to get my money's worth outta both the oil and the UOA.

The Camry is old and about to break 200k. This isn't a new car where if i had the same results, i would have backed off extended intervals and stayed at 5k OCIs.

The Camry has been running excellent, without any issues for pretty much 14 years now. If it starts giving me problems, i won't hesitate to sell it and get something much more efficient to use for work. Been looking at the Newest model Prius lately as a replacement... for the next 15 years or so. haha

For a no good sludge meister, as it has been called here more than once, that engine is doing better than most would at 196, still using 5w-30.. Actually it is one of the best engines out there, from actually owning one, not talking it.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Cost of synthetic oil change at dealership = $69
Cost of Amsoil XL oil change at dealership = $45 (including overpriced crush washer and dealer supplied filter)

Man you guys are Right! Amsoil is EXPENSIVE compared to really cheap Wal-Mart oil changes with conventional bul
Man you're getting ripped off.

Cost of Mobil 1 oil change at dealership == $35 (20 for the labor/filter and 15 for M1)

I brought my own oil and filter to the Toyota dealer. I also brought in a coupon so they discounted the normal labor rate. Total out the door was $7.96 or something like that. All I remember was the total was under $8. Fram TG was $6 at WM. Valvoline MaxLife full syn was $18.47 via price match online minus $10 rebate submitted online which I've received.

So $8.50 oil + $6 filter + $8 labor = $22.50 for a full syn oil change. Plus free coffee, danish and car wash at dealer. They also did the airbag recall while it was in.

Next oil change I'll probably keep the filter in since it's rated for 10k miles. Picked up some Castrol Magnatec for .05/quart at AAP.

$8 labor + .20 oil = $8.20 for oil change.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I brought my own oil and filter to the Toyota dealer. I also brought in a coupon so they discounted the normal labor rate. Total out the door was $7.96 or something like that. All I remember was the total was under $8. Fram TG was $6 at WM. Valvoline MaxLife full syn was $18.47 via price match online minus $10 rebate submitted online which I've received.

So $8.50 oil + $6 filter + $8 labor = $22.50 for a full syn oil change. Plus free coffee, danish and car wash at dealer. They also did the airbag recall while it was in.

Next oil change I'll probably keep the filter in since it's rated for 10k miles. Picked up some Castrol Magnatec for .05/quart at AAP.

$8 labor + .20 oil = $8.20 for oil change.

Nice price for sure. What is your interval?

The Lead figure is way above the universal average, so I would see what happens if you change to an 0 or 5w40. In most engines Lead is from the main bearings.

The Copper figure is also high, but as this engine does not have a turbo (Most turbo bearings have Copper in them), it's probably just leaching from the oil cooler. Cu does tend to vary from one oil to another due to different chemical reactions. Not sure if this type of engine has any multi layer bearings or not, as the oil lab chap suggests, but if it does not have an oil cooler, then it does.

Most petrol car engines are design spec for a 30 grade, BUT once they start to wear it's a good idea to move up one grade IF that wear relates to the main bearings.

Last edited:
One other point about the UOA, is that the Zinc figure looks low and the detergent Ca not exactly suitable for an extended OCI. Some Amsoils have 4000 ppm of Ca.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: hate2work

If you're trying to extend your OCIs, why not use an oil designed for that purpose?

I'll explain it to ya...

I became an Amsoil PC and am simply testing out their different products in my own vehicles for kicks and giggles.

I plan to push Amsoil OE to the limits and then move up to Amsoil XL (10,000 miles) most likely stopping in the 15k range using ASL or SSO, in this particular engine/ driving conditions.

Which Amsoil (I think it was an Xw40) has the highest amount of detergents ???

Some time ago I looked at a VOA of an Amsoil oil it it had 4000 ppm of Ca, BUT I did not take note of which one it was.
If you want to do an extended OCI (Which might well be good for the engine in Fe per mile terms), it's a real good idea to use an oil with a lot of detergents, as blowby contamination (Mostly Carbon) is one of the main limiting factors.

When comparing UOA results it's very important that the driver style and useage of the vehicle does not change. It's also very important to remember that you can get real good UOA results whilst sludge or varnish are starting to build up, which is very important in the longer term.
Most chaps I know in the car industry that like doing long OCI's are UOA fans that only change oil & filters when a sample reaches set limits, BUT are also fans of using an idle flush additive just before an oil & filter job to make sure they are not slowly turning their engine into a sludge monster or accumulating top end varnish deposits.

Originally Posted By: snowmaker
I guess it is not bad but the TBN is low for my likings in your (1MZ? engine)..You could get 2X to 2.5 better TBN, higher ZDDP using there 0w-20, ow-30 there 5w-30..I have seen way better #'s using the above at over 10 to 11,000 miles on this engine (1MZ)...

Link to 10k+ OCI with the 1MZ engine...?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Not bad for a certified sludge monster.

Run the oil right to 7500 miles.

I was planning to re-sample at 7k but 7.5k sounds pretty good right about now
20.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Blackstone TBN at 2.9 after 5.6k? Not bad. You were running some additives before, right?

Is this not our first OE UOA? Honestly, stick with OEF next change and see what the Cu and Pb do.

I think it held up nicely for a $3.99/q bottom of the Amsoil oil chain fluid.

Originally Posted By: snowmaker
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Blackstone TBN at 2.9 after 5.6k? Not bad. You were running some additives before, right?

Is this not our first OE UOA? Honestly, stick with OEF next change and see what the Cu and Pb do.
Not bad on TBN???? Are you nuts? I have had better #'s on the Amsoil 5w-30 with over 2X the miles on same engine. Using Pureone old filter too. The UOA is okay at best.

I sampled at 5.5k simply to compare to my previous fill of M1 at roughly the same interval. I'm sure the oil can last much longer and i plan to find out soon...

Ooops! That post finished up in the middle of the replied to one, due to lack of reading glasses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back