Amsoil OE 5w30 - 5,670 - 1998 Toyota Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
One UOA does not make an oil. IMO the jury is still out and will be for quite some time with this new product. Thanks to the OP for posting.

Indeed. For an under $4 oil and mainly for quick change places - decent looking oil. B and Mo are good. TBN starts under 8 because this is not a long drain oil. BLACKSTONE TBN of 2.9? FINE. I don't see why people have a problem with that? I mean really. The TBN ISN'T linear and it's dropped, what about 60% and gone the near or at the Toyota change interval. 7500 miles will not be an issue.

I do think in the summer in Fl - looking at a 5W-40 or 10W-40 may be worth while.

Why a 40 weight? I've been using 10w30 in the summer as per the manual since the car left the dealership in 97.

Does the engine call for a 40 grade oil? I'd stick to what it calls for, unless there's a problem. JMO

Not a HEAVY 40 - but one like M1 0W-40 or Amsoil AFL 5W-40 that essentially becomes a HD viscosity 30 in use vs. these energy conserving 5W-30's. Just an idea.

I would also look at the ACD SAE 30/10W-30. LOW price and great for sludgers. This is what I run in the MIL's Avalon with the same engine.

Originally Posted By: snowmaker

I really think you have a sludge prone engine based on year etc. I have a sludge prone engine toyo and I would not use Amsoil ASL..It is not that great of an oil in these cars.... Better luck with there ASM and SSO..And I have used ASL for years too...And the link to UOA I do not have..They are my own UOA's I had done and had an old UOA house gave me there info (old sponsor here)...I also would not use Amsoil XL oil..It is 99% the same price as there group 4/5 oils (SSo, ASM etc)..Not worth the price.

My take is this oil is not worth it; as I outlined prior. A TBN, example, after this small duration is for me, a joke.I do not think the oil would provide protection due to a really low TBN etc since the 5.5K miles is low to start with...And yea it is not linear blah blah.. 10K no way in this engine.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I have a UOA of M1 0w-30 in another car with a TBN of 2.7 after ONLY 2,500 miles WITH a QUART of top off oil.

The Camry went 5,200 miles on M1 0w-30 with a TBN of 4.5 and only 1/2 a quart of top off oil. Explain that to me...?

Again, you can not make assumptions based off ONE UOA.

This is the first time Amsoil has been in the Engine.

Originally Posted By: Artem

For more accurate UOA results it is best to take a sample during the second or third UOA. The results might not be as accurate. At least from what I've learned here.

I really think you have a sludge prone engine based on year etc. I have a sludge prone engine toyo and I would not use Amsoil ASL..It is not that great of an oil in these cars.... Better luck with there ASM and SSO..And I have used ASL for years too...And the link to UOA I do not have..They are my own UOA's I had done and had an old UOA house gave me there info (old sponsor here)...I also would not use Amsoil XL oil..It is 99% the same price as there group 4/5 oils (SSo, ASM etc)..Not worth the price.

My take is this oil is not worth it; as I outlined prior. A TBN, example, after this small duration is for me, a joke.I do not think the oil would provide protection due to a really low TBN etc since the 5.5K miles is low to start with...And yea it is not linear blah blah.. 10K no way in this engine.

I don't see what the big deal is.

I have a UOA of M1 0w-30 in another car with a TBN of 2.7 after ONLY 2,500 miles WITH a QUART of top off oil.

The Camry went 5,200 miles on M1 0w-30 with a TBN of 4.5 and only 1/2 a quart of top off oil. Explain that to me...?

Again, you can not make assumptions based off ONE UOA.

Okay I have done UOA's on my toyo since birth (145K miles now). I have the sludge engine, 3.0 1MZ, and get higher TBN's with over double the miles using their better oil. I am not nailing ya just saying I hope it gets better since so far, I would not pay $5.5 per qt for those #'s.

And I think a TBN of that level is poor based on my results. Never seen a TBN (2.9) that low in my cars to date... most times around low 4 after 10,000 miles..Amsoil is a great oil but there XL, OE etc I think are overpriced and there just to fill a niche in the missing market.

Get a good baseline and report back. Unless you have not done a tune up etc in a long time, I would not expect to see huge changes. Also if I were you, I would get the Nit #...relates to sludge here.

PS. Amsoil is upping there prices on 3-1, so I would buy now since it will cost more!

The OE is just an oil for Amsoil to gain more exposure. All of these companies buy additive packages and base oils from only a handful of suppliers. Most of it is all marketing. This oil will be as good as any other API cert brand.

For more accurate UOA results it is best to take a sample during the second or third UOA. The results might not be as accurate. At least from what I've learned here.

I agree 100% but based on the last UOA i did and the alarming amounts of Lead and Copper, i decided to do an UOA now and not wait another 10,000 miles for "accurate" results.

Okay I have done UOA's on my toyo since birth (145K miles now). I have the sludge engine, 3.0 1MZ, and get higher TBN's with over double the miles using their better oil. I am not nailing ya just saying I hope it gets better since so far, I would not pay $5.5 per qt for those #'s.

And I think a TBN of that level is poor based on my results. Never seen a TBN (2.9) that low in my cars to date... most times around low 4 after 10,000 miles..Amsoil is a great oil but there XL, OE etc I think are overpriced and there just to fill a niche in the missing market.

I'm shocked that you can put 10k on this engine and still have 4+ TBN leftover. Either your engine is Extremely clean or you're using higher quality oil (combination of both?)

I'm satisfied with how this oil has held up and the TBN count.

I buy Amsoil OE by the case with PC pricing and it comes out to $3.99/Q with NO CHARGE for shipping because i pick it up directly from the distribution center.

$20 for 5 quarts of OE which i plan to drain @ 7,000 miles is pretty darn good to me, by my standards.

I agree 100% but based on the last UOA i did and the alarming amounts of Lead and Copper, i decided to do an UOA now and not wait another 10,000 miles for "accurate" results.

I can't blame you. I'm having this discussion in another thread, and honestly you really have no clue how accurate any results are since the % of mistakes is pretty high. I'm not trying to start a problem here, these $25 reports are far from perfect. If a problem is flagged you have to decide if you believe the report is accurate, or should you get a second opinion, or continue with the product for another interval and get another report. Confusing to say the least. I've been running blind since the 70's w/o UOA reports, I think if I get one I might drive myself nuts if it isn't perfect. I think I'll continue to stay in the dark. LOL

Blackstone TBN at 2.9 after 5.6k? Not bad. You were running some additives before, right?

Is this not our first OE UOA? Honestly, stick with OEF next change and see what the Cu and Pb do.
Not bad on TBN???? Are you nuts? I have had better #'s on the Amsoil 5w-30 with over 2X the miles on same engine. Using Pureone old filter too. The UOA is okay at best.

Impossible. You CAN'T have the SAME engine as he does. His engine is powering his car in HIS environment with HIS style of driving. There is no apples-apples comparison when dealing with engines from the SAME series. Not understanding this simple principle demonstrates your lack of understanding of the bigger picture.

Originally Posted By: DragRace
Originally Posted By: DragRace
Not impressed with Amsoil OE if this is the best it's capable of.

One UOA in a sludge engine. What EXACTLY were you looking for? Please be specific.

OE is 5.50 a quart for an quart of oil.An off the shelf oil thats cheaper,can easily match whats been shown here.

$5.10. Again, has someone named a product that will OUTPERFORM OE for the same price (consistently priced, sales don't count)? No.

hate2work said:
I plan to push Amsoil OE to the limits and then move up to Amsoil XL (10,000 miles) most likely stopping in the 15k range using ASL or SSO, in this particular engine/ driving conditions.

snowmaker said:
I guess it is not bad but the TBN is low for my likings in your (1MZ? engine)..You could get 2X to 2.5 better TBN, higher ZDDP using there 0w-20, ow-30 there 5w-30..I have seen way better #'s using the above at over 10 to 11,000 miles on this engine (1MZ)...

Link to 10k+ OCI with the 1MZ engine...?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Not bad for a certified sludge monster.

Run the oil right to 7500 miles.

1 case of 12 quarts = < $5/q What is your point? (OE)
1 case of 4 gallons = < $6/q What is your point regarding price? (XL)
1 case of 4 gallons = < $8/q What is your point? (ASL)
1 case of 4 gallons = ~ $9/q What are you talking about price? (SSO)

Amsoil is CHEAP!? Royal Purple at KVR Performance is over $11 per quart. RedLine from the same or CT is up to $12-$14 per quart? The price argument and the convenience factor of getting my oil in less than three days to my front door wins EVERY single time.

Cost of synthetic oil change at dealership = $69
Cost of Amsoil XL oil change at dealership = $45 (including overpriced crush washer and dealer supplied filter)

Man you guys are Right! Amsoil is EXPENSIVE compared to really cheap Wal-Mart oil changes with conventional bulk.

Last edited:
Quote:
5W-30 (OEF)

API SN, SM...
ILSAC GF-5, GF-4...
Ford WSS-M2C929-A
Chrysler MS-6395N
GM dexos1TM (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M)

Very competitive oil if it does meet all of those specs. I'm trying to think of the lowest priced dexo1 oil.....QS or PP? Amsoil has increased their storage capacity over the years.

Busta....Mark Twain said "To be a good liar, you need to have a good memory."

Originally Posted By: buster
I see no point in using this oil when better oils can be had for the same or less money.

Buster...shame on you! Now, you need to run Amsoil OE next too the oils you are talking about to make this claim. Run the standard UOA...and...if you are right hammer down.

I'm shocked that you can put 10k on this engine and still have 4+ TBN leftover. Either your engine is Extremely clean or you're using higher quality oil (combination of both?)

I'm satisfied with how this oil has held up and the TBN count.

I buy Amsoil OE by the case with PC pricing and it comes out to $3.99/Q with NO CHARGE for shipping because i pick it up directly from the distribution center.

I thought it [TBN] was low for me..Ran a few ARX throught it and then LC20 to add in cleaning etc...Then cleaned IVAC/ TB with Amsoil powerfoam (2X a year) and kept up on the air filter (now Amsoil air filter) etc...ASM works great..ASL got too thick for me and stopped after about 80K miles. It worked but I did not like it. Spark plugs also made a huge diff too. TBN was the easy part; NIT, lead, copper and silicone were the issues (at the time).

Using there SSO for now and see what happens on the next UOA..It not that great back to the old ASM..

Originally Posted By: pcfxer

1 case of 12 quarts = < $5/q What is your point? (OE)
1 case of 4 gallons = < $6/q What is your point regarding price? (XL)
1 case of 4 gallons = < $8/q What is your point? (ASL)
1 case of 4 gallons = ~ $9/q What are you talking about price? (SSO)

Amsoil is CHEAP!? Royal Purple at KVR Performance is over $11 per quart. RedLine from the same or CT is up to $12-$14 per quart? The price argument and the convenience factor of getting my oil in less than three days to my front door wins EVERY single time.

Cost of synthetic oil change at dealership = $69
Cost of Amsoil XL oil change at dealership = $45 (including overpriced crush washer and dealer supplied filter)

Man you guys are Right! Amsoil is EXPENSIVE compared to really cheap Wal-Mart oil changes with conventional bulk.

Point is easy. Spend the extra few dollars on Amsoil and step-up to there better/best oil...In a 5 qt engine (most) it is like what, $10 more...So you know all the prices (dealer or not) in CT?

Again point is there OL, XL are priced high for what you get. Spend the few extra bucks and get there better oils.

PS. Amsoil is re-doing their top-end oils in the first qtr to pass the new specs..Funny there are raising the price on 3-1 too.

Again point is there OL, XL are priced high for what you get. Spend the few extra bucks and get there better oils.

I refuse to put a $10/q oil into the Camry. Even if it is a better quality oil for just a few bucks more, i'll stick to the $3.99/q OE.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Busta....Mark Twain said "To be a good liar, you need to have a good memory."

Originally Posted By: buster
I see no point in using this oil when better oils can be had for the same or less money.

Buster...shame on you! Now, you need to run Amsoil OE next too the oils you are talking about to make this claim. Run the standard UOA...and...if you are right hammer down.

I didn't realize at the time it met all those specs. dexos1 in particular. I don't know, it's a close call with the dealer price.

I refuse to put a $10/q oil into the Camry. Even if it is a better quality oil for just a few bucks more, i'll stick to the $3.99/q OE.

It is not $10 per qt...Your 5w-30 OE is like $4 a qt..If you are testing the oil, there is a huge diff and will last the 2X longer..... IN your sludge engine, I would..But I can see your point..

I have no interest in the OE oil. If I use Amsoil it will be their 0w20. I'm just looking at it strictly from a price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back