Amsoil HDD vs. Rotella T6 in Kubota diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using Amsoil HDD in the Kubota zero turn and always have to top off about every 25hrs. No big deal. Nature of the beast? However I tried the T6 when I ran out of HDD and after 70hrs no top off was required. I guess that engine likes the thicker T6. Any thoughts?

HDD is a thinner oil, I'd expect more consumption than the thicker T6. I find I top off more with M1 0w40 vs. API 5w40s.

I don't think the noack has as much to do with anything when compared to the oil consumption due to viscosity . Sometimes viscosity really makes a difference in consumption sometimes it doesn't.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
HDD is a thinner oil, I'd expect more consumption than the thicker T6. I find I top off more with M1 0w40 vs. API 5w40s.
The 0w-40 is a thinner oil.

High dollar mower like that and you need to top it off every 25 hrs?? wow i'd be looking for the problem,my $50 POS uses none.

His doesn't use any either with Rotella.

Last edited:
Someone commented here on a unrelated topic that HDD was a synthetic blend. Humm...?

If you are servicing every 100Hrs like Kubota advises I would just use what's on sale(like the Delo for 8.50). I extend all of my Kubotas intervals out(with analysis)and run Schaeffers. Amsoil will work exceptionally well for that too. Idon't know about the t-6 because I have not seen any extended UOAs on it yet. There have been some very low wear metal UOAs with it but they were all within normal oil change intervals. Small diesels get the snot run out of them and some oil consumption is to be expected. I have been fortunate that none of mine use any between intervals but they are all still babies(less than 2000 hrs on each). Keeping clean air filters is way more critical than the oil. These things suck dirt-filled air constantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back