Amsoil euro vs signature

This is my first post,and since I couldn’t see any drawbacks in the specs I want to get more protection since my 5-40 using tuned(2) 11 2.0 tfsi is at 60k and worried about the timing chain.I still have 4 gallons of euro to transition to the 5-50 signature. Garage kept since new 3k changes on everything

This is my first post,and since I couldn’t see any drawbacks in the specs I want to get more protection since my 5-40 using tuned(2) 11 2.0 tfsi is at 60k and worried about the timing chain.I still have 4 gallons of euro to transition to the 5-50 signature. Garage kept since new 3k changes on everything
Euro
Oil won't help you. It is tensioner issue, and you need to replace it with updated one. Unnecessary to go 5W50.

Euro
Oil won't help you. It is tensioner issue, and you need to replace it with updated one. Unnecessary to go 5W50.
After looking at the job and the total engine failure if it goes,I am planning to do it.it did make me reconsider oil at 60k and being far from stock.
IMG_1258.jpg

Last edited:
After looking at the job and the total engine failure if it goes,I am planning to do it.it did make me reconsider oil at 60k and being far from stock.View attachment 196912
Go good Euro oil. BMW LL01 has timing chain test as well as API SP.
If you want low-SAPS, VW511.00 is heavy VW505.00/507.00. BMW LL04 also has timing chain test. Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2 is good option.

40 is fine. 50 isn't preventing timing chain issues here...it's the tensioner.

40 is fine. 50 isn't preventing timing chain issues here...it's the tensioner.
Till I’m ready I’m hoping it makes some new noises,my vette guy did a spec clutch and a alky system but isn’t volunteering.

AMSOIL Signature Series is blended with a Dexos Gen 1/API SP additive package, regardless of viscosity. For that engine I would stick with AMSOIL Euro oil, which is very good. AMSOIL Signature Series won't harm it by any means, but won't do it any favors eithers, so to speak. If you like to occasionally drive it hard, then use the oil spec that it calls for. If you use the vehicle as a grocery getter/mall crawler, then use whatever, as pretty much anything will provide lubrication and protection for low stress driving.

AMSOIL Signature Series is blended with a Dexos Gen 1/API SP additive package, regardless of viscosity. For that engine I would stick with AMSOIL Euro oil, which is very good. AMSOIL Signature Series won't harm it by any means, but won't do it any favors eithers, so to speak. If you like to occasionally drive it hard, then use the oil spec that it calls for. If you use the vehicle as a grocery getter/mall crawler, then use whatever, as pretty much anything will provide lubrication and protection for low stress driving.
Would you recommend Signature Series or Euro for a stock NA GR86? It uses 0w20 and 5w30.

It uses 0w20 and 5w30.
There is no good reason to pick Resource Concerving 0W-20 over Reaource Concerving 5W-30.

AMSOIL SS 5-30 or as @TiGeo suggested, AMSOIL SS 0W-40, if you drive it hard or track it.

Mobil 1 FS 5W-30 and Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 are also excellent choices. I'm currently running these two in Pentastar engines. I'm also running HPL NO-VII 5W-30 in a Hyundai engine. These oils have a HTHS of 3.5 (Euro L is 3.6) and have very little or no vii at all.

There is no good reason to pick Resource Concerving 0W-20 over Reaource Concerving 5W-30.

AMSOIL SS 5-30 or as @TiGeo suggested, AMSOIL SS 0W-40, if you drive it hard or track it.

Mobil 1 FS 5W-30 and Pennzoil Euro L 5W-30 are also excellent choices. I'm currently running these two in Pentastar engines. I'm also running HPL NO-VII 5W-30 in a Hyundai engine. These oils have a HTHS of 3.5 (Euro L is 3.6) and have very little or no vii at all.
Yes definitely. I only use 5w-30 in my car.

So how advantageous would Amsoil SS 5w-30 be with a mixed driving style of street/track vs the oils that you mentioned (Mobil1, Pennz)?

What about Amsoil signature 0W40?
Wasn't sure if this was in reply to me but it seems like tight clearances in the FA24 motor recommend 0w30 or 5w30 when driving spiritedly. I think some built motors run heavier oils though with non-OE clearances.

Wasn't sure if this was in reply to me but it seems like tight clearances in the FA24 motor recommend 0w30 or 5w30 when driving spiritedly. I think some built motors run heavier oils though with non-OE clearances.
You can run a 40 grade in your engine; this isn't about "clearances"...the oil molecules in that 40 aren't any bigger than the 20 or 30 and will fit just fine :D

I'd really like to know what Amsoil thinks about how their SS line would compare to equivalent Euro grade oils grade for grade. They'll never share that but it would be interesting.

There was an interview with one of Amsoil's reps a few months back. For some of their oils (OE/High Mileage etc.) they purchase generic additive packages and just blend them. For other oils like SS/Dominator, they customer develop/tweak formulations in-house. The SS line is their flagship product using some of the highest quality base oils available.

For example, SS 0w40 vs Euro 0w40. I'm willing to be the SS is as good or better than the Euro. The primary difference is likely the SA levels and HT/HS of some grades.

The European grades are actually restricted a bit compared to what they do with SS line.

You can see with their Euro 0w40 there is no moly and boron is less. That doesn't necessarily mean it's worse off, but due to SA they reduced some metallic additive levels for better or worse.

Between the Euro and SS 0w40 I'd go with the 0w40. Noack is better with the SS 0w40. The Amsoil IIIH results are just too good to ignore.

1707920267629.jpg

Last edited:
I'd really like to know what Amsoil thinks about how their SS line would compare to equivalent Euro grade oils grade for grade. They'll never share that but it would be interesting.

There was an interview with one of Amsoil's reps a few months back. For some of their oils (OE/High Mileage etc.) they purchase generic additive packages and just blend them. For other oils like SS/Dominator, they customer develop/tweak formulations in-house. The SS line is their flagship product using some of the highest quality base oils available.

For example, SS 0w40 vs Euro 0w40. I'm willing to be the SS is as good or better than the Euro. The primary difference is likely the SA levels and HT/HS of some grades.

The European grades are actually restricted a bit compared to what they do with SS line.

You can see with their Euro 0w40 there is no moly and boron is less. That doesn't necessarily mean it's worse off, but due to SA they reduced some metallic additive levels for better or worse.

Between the Euro and SS 0w40 I'd go with the 0w40. Noack is better with the SS 0w40. The Amsoil IIIH results are just too good to ignore.

View attachment 203516
What I don't understand is how SS is spec'd higher than Euro, but a lot of you guys mention how Euro might sometimes be on-par if not better? What would be better in the case of a Subaru motor (FA24)? SS or Euro 5w30?

What does “spec’d higher” mean?
In a very casual sense, it's generally agreeable for the most part that the SS line is a higher spec than the OE line given that it has a better base oil and more additives?

So using that logic, would SS not be spec'd higher than Euro?

All given the fact that the use-case for the oil would be 50% daily driving, 50% track driving.

Back