Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 - '17 BMW M3, 4300mi oci w/ mods

I know this UOA had a low flashpoint, but let's say you have >400 flashpoint and a viscosity loss on a BS UOA, couldn't you still determine that the viscosity loss was due to shearing just based on the high flashpoint? And therefore, the lower the flashpoint below 400F, the more likely the viscosity loss is due to fuel. I understand you won't know specifics, but what additional conclusions does having a GC % allow you to draw?
Because flash point testing has an inherently high reproducibility and repeatability, and then you're using that data to infer a second parameter. Yes this is an ASTM procedure but not all ASTM procedures have great accuracy. A gas chromatography test measures the low molecular weight fuel directly. If there is little or no fuel but still a viscosity deviation then it is likely mechanical shear of the VII. Oil molecules will never shear under this level of stress. You could do a subsequent test using a no VII oil if you wished.

Plus I do not trust Blackstone to measure anything accurately. I know you go on about this a lot but that's my opinion based on what I have seen here.

Because flash point testing has an inherently high reproducibility and repeatability, and then you're using that data to infer a second parameter. Yes this is an ASTM procedure but not all ASTM procedures have great accuracy. A gas chromatography test measures the low molecular weight fuel directly. If there is little or no fuel but still a viscosity deviation then it is likely mechanical shear of the VII. Oil molecules will never shear under this level of stress. You could do a subsequent test using a no VII oil if you wished.

Plus I do not trust Blackstone to measure anything accurately. I know you go on about this a lot but that's my opinion based on what I have seen here.
Thanks. I appreciate your input. Could there be a high (let's say 5%) amount of fuel in the oil but still a flashpoint >400F?

We have the same engine, mods and oil.
Here is my UOA, without the short trips (always getting up to temp) and a track day.
TLDR Similar results but you have less iron wear (congrats), lower viscosity and lower flashpoint from more dilution. So, keep on keepin' on!

Attachments

• M2CPPE1.jpg
    M2CPPE1.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 75
We have the same engine, mods and oil.
Here is my UOA, without the short trips (always getting up to temp) and a track day.
TLDR Similar results but you have less iron wear (congrats), lower viscosity and lower flashpoint from more dilution. So, keep on keepin' on!
Very interesting to see... do you run yours year round like I do too? DCT or 6mt? Curious if you've been running your m2c for a while oil change wise or if its a newer car to you since the longer OCI BMW metals will hang for a bit in the oil cooler (usually not all iron tho :censored:). Mine with the previous owner did in-between dealer free changes and has probably never seen over a 5k oci.

Last edited:
Very interesting to see... do you run yours year round like I do too? DCT or 6mt? Curious if you've been running your m2c for a while oil change wise or if its a newer car to you since the longer OCI BMW metals will hang for a bit in the oil cooler (usually not all iron tho :censored:). Mine with the previous owner did in-between dealer free changes and has probably never seen over a 5k oci.
Can you explain what this means?

Sorry I didn't see this from you until now.

I do run mine year round in PNW with some ethanol mixed in E20ish on that stint. 6mt. I've been doing 5k oci with PPE 5w40 for a while. I believe there was about 20k mi on the car at that point so maybe a little residual from break in? Not worried though.

Back