2015 BMW 328i Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 Euro

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wifes 2015 BMW 328i Xdrive. I have been running Pennzoil Platinum 5w40 Euro since we purchased it used. This OCI was just over 7500 miles and about 13 months. Looks pretty good to me and according to Blackstone as well. I usually find PP Euro on sale at Advance Auto, 5qts and a filter for $34. Thanks for looking. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 114
although a good oil those living in very hot climates are better served by 10 or even 15-40 oils as even real synthetics as most are NOT have more burn off using thinner base oils in the mix.

Originally Posted by benjy
although a good oil those living in very hot climates are better served by 10 or even 15-40 oils as even real synthetics as most are NOT have more burn off using thinner base oils in the mix.

lol.gif

Originally Posted by benjy

It got so excited the grammar went out the window.

I wouldn't take Blackstone's advice to extend to 10,000 miles. Do you have an OLM or what does BMW recommend?

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
I wouldn't take Blackstone's advice to extend to 10,000 miles. Do you have an OLM or what does BMW recommend?

10,000 miles.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

10,000 miles.

Ha!

With no time limit?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

10,000 miles.

Ha!

With no time limit?

1 year or approx 10k miles.

Last edited:
The D.I.C. on the car says 7,000 miles for OCI. I don't believe I am going to extend the OCI interval past 7,500 or 1 year. As far as the comment about magnesium, this oil never had a substantial amount in it to begin with. The BMW dealer I have dealt with said they were using BMW TPT 0w20 or 5w20 in everything now. I just can't get on board with that after seeing what happens to the 5w40 by the end of the OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TurboJW
The D.I.C. on the car says 7,000 miles for OCI. I don't believe I am going to extend the OCI interval past 7,500 or 1 year.

Good call and it seems accurate. Oil deteriorates rapidly towards the end of an oil change. So manufacturer recommendations, especially algorithm and condition based, are sound. There is some leeway in case you don't get round to it straight away, but arbitrary statements like Blackstone suggesting another 2500 miles are irresponsible.

Honestly there is no reason not to the oil has minimum shear and is close to grade. There is plenty of TBN reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back