Amsoil Euro 0w-30 EOT VOA

Who said Amsoil isn't?
well…..what exactly has Amsoil said about this…lately?

They have become (or maybe always were) pretty secretive.

People look at Amsoil, HPL, etc pricing and desperately want to know why they should fork over the extra money. In earlier post(s), I tried to show why I thought Valvoline Premium Blue Restore differentiated itself from off-the-shelf Pennzoil, Castrol, and QuakerState in results from a fuel-diluting TGDI engine. But some of the differentiation is due to VPBR being a thicker oil (and HDEO despite use in TGDI engine). The rest is due to its unique composition. Amsoil SS (ASL) is currently in the crankcase, so we will see how it does. One of my regrets though is I was steered toward the 5w30 ASL, at Amsoil tech’s advice, as well as an independent’s advice, instead of a thicker oil (0w40, 5w40 or Euro) despite having indicated fuel dilution was an issue. To be fair, HPL also pointed me to their 5w30 PCMO, instead of some thicker or more robust formulation….the more I read, the more I hear starting with a “thicker” oil is the only solution. Again, if Amsoil would come out and state why their oil is better (against fuel dilution), and/or recommend upping the grade to offset the effects of dilution, it might help us duffers.

If the Amsoil stays in grade for ~8500 miles (and theoretically it could, barely, even with 5% fuel, if negligible shear or VI degradation) I will be happy enough. If not, I still might be happy with a thicker Amsoil…ie not taking Amsoil tech’s advice.

(By the way, some gear oil is on my radar prior to next engine oil change. Maybe I should reach out to you, instead of the Amsoil tech department????)

well…..what exactly has Amsoil said about this…lately?

People look at Amsoil, HPL, etc pricing and desperately want to know why they should fork over the extra money. In earlier post(s), I tried to show why I thought Valvoline Premium Blue Restore differentiated itself from off-the-shelf Pennzoil, Castrol, and QuakerState in results from a fuel-diluting TGDI engine. But some of the differentiation is due to VPBR being a thicker oil (and HDEO despite use in TGDI engine). The rest is due to its unique composition. Amsoil SS (ASL) is currently in the crankcase, so we will see how it does. One of my regrets though is I was steered toward the 5w30 ASL, at Amsoil tech’s advice, as well as an independent’s advice, instead of a thicker oil (0w40, 5w40 or Euro) despite having indicated fuel dilution was an issue. To be fair, HPL also pointed me to their 5w30 PCMO, instead of some thicker or more robust formulation….the more I read, the more I hear starting with a “thicker” oil is the only solution. Again, if Amsoil would come out and state why their oil is better (against fuel dilution), and/or recommend upping the grade to offset the effects of dilution, it might help us duffers.

If the Amsoil stays in grade for ~8500 miles (and theoretically it could, barely, even with 5% fuel, if negligible shear or VI degradation) I will be happy enough. If not, I still might be happy with a thicker Amsoil…ie not taking Amsoil tech’s advice.

(By the way, some gear oil is on my radar prior to next engine oil change. Maybe I should reach out to you, instead of the Amsoil tech department????)
Amsoil doesn't divulge nor get particularly hung up on base oils. They concentrate on the whole oil, the finished product. It's no secret. Besides no one will pay for 100% ester oil, too expensive, not needed.

Absolutely I would have recommended some different oils. Maybe an XW-40 or 10W-30. You've been here near 10 years, I'm the site sponsor. Amsoil Tech just goes by the book, no deeper.

People look at Amsoil, HPL, etc pricing and desperately want to know why they should fork over the extra money.
Just ask the questions. Speak for yourself vs trying to stir some kind of tabloid pot. Buy it or dont. Use it or dont. I've enjoyed a few hours of their facility tour, its readily available and public on Youtube.

Amsoil doesn't divulge nor get particularly hung up on base oils. They concentrate on the whole oil, the finished product. It's no secret. Besides no one will pay for 100% ester oil, too expensive, not needed.

Absolutely I would have recommended some different oils. Maybe an XW-40 or 10W-30. You've been here near 10 years, I'm the site sponsor. Amsoil Tech just goes by the book, no deeper.

Just ask the questions. Speak for yourself vs trying to stir some kind of tabloid pot. Buy it or dont. Use it or dont. I've enjoyed a few hours of their facility tour, its readily available and public on Youtube.
Hmmm. Let’s turn the temp down on this.

But, in my defense: My comment that Amsoil EOT had high Virgin oxidation was meant as a positive. I wasn’t bashing their oils, certainly not this one…on the contrary. I’m recently seeing more comment of the high oxidation relating to ester content. In my brief look, I couldn’t find similar vOA high oxidation “evidence” that they use esters in such manner on their other oils…again, in my brief search. So maybe my comment was a bit snarky, but don’t over-react. What I really meant is I would like to see more VOA’s with that info (ie, not Blackstone or whoever else skips that info…and on more of their oils). Sorry if I didn’t say this in the most perfect way. And, gee, sorry if I didn’t seek further information in the perfect way.

So I hope you don’t mind me searching for more content regarding higher group (IV & V) usage. But those who sell the boutique oils should welcome inquiries, not discourage them.

Last edited:
Drive by

IMG_2205.jpg

Euro has higher HTHS vs Signatures Series 0w30 and higher 100 cst ..... 12.3 vs 10.5 last time I checked.
I was sold on it when I purchased this a year ago. (y)

Back