Mobil 1 0w-40 SP VOA

These new Mobil 1 formulations are some of the most unusual I've seen. Even the Triple Action. Oxidation values for all their line is now B] Maybe what that guy said in that Lubrication YT channel about how they discovered some additive from the cosmetics industry from what they found testing with Red Bull.

Latest ESP 5w30 has no moly, no ester. There was one guy on here that seemed to have some idea of what it may be. He was from the oilclub ru.
Genuine question as I am learning a lot here from multiple rabbit holes I am following: since AN's don't really show on any tests, are we left just to hope/assume they are present in some proprietary mixture in the current SP bottles? And is the base stock oil still PAO?

Genuine question as I am learning a lot here from multiple rabbit holes I am following: since AN's don't really show on any tests, are we left just to hope/assume they are present in some proprietary mixture in the current SP bottles? And is the base stock oil still PAO?
Until the Russian Oil club does a VOA, it's anyone's guess lol. I'm not sure how AN's show up on a FTIR. Unfortunately, some of the newer oils are using things that just don't show up. Some are even using bio-based base oils.

There are some companies (very few) that tell you what base oils they use - HPL, Red Line and Torco. Torco is surprisingly very transparent with a great website.

The current M1 0w40 SP is GTL/PAO. No idea what other base oils they are using in this current formulation.

1699027811421.png

Thank you for that!
So one more question: this link to EXMOB's AN information ( https://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/en/products/synthetic-base-stocks/alkylated-naphthalene ) shows their testing with a 75% PAO blend, 10% AN, and 15% Adpac to show the benefit of AN over Ester.
Does the SDS you shared mean that there is 1% at max of AN present in that formulation?
No you can't get any %'s of AN or ester based off an MSDS. Being XOM is one of the largest suppliers of all base oil types, it's likely they are found in their flagship product. I wouldn't focus too much on quantity or base oil type. Most of us do that just for fun, but in reality you have to still look at specifications. Plus having more or less of any one particular base oil isn't going to tell you anything.

No you can't get any %'s of AN or ester based off an MSDS. Being XOM is one of the largest suppliers of all base oil types, it's likely they are found in their flagship product. I wouldn't focus too much on quantity or base oil type. Most of us do that just for fun, but in reality you have to still look at specifications. Plus having more or less of any one particular base oil isn't going to tell you anything.
Thank you so much for the responses and info!!

Plus the fact that an SDS isn't a recipe, it is a listing of hazardous materials intended for first responders, firefighters and to alert other users of those materials. Some esters and other components are not hazardous and therefore will not appear on the sheet because it's not necessary.

One last thought: are AN's widely used across majority of brands or are they still a newer technology that Mobil and select others use (think I saw mention of HPL)? Or does knowing at all come down to if a brand says they do or not since they don't register in tests.

One last thought: are AN's widely used across majority of brands or are they still a newer technology that Mobil and select others use (think I saw mention of HPL)? Or does knowing at all come down to if a brand says they do or not since they don't register in tests.
It's not new technology. In fact Mobil 1 Tri Synthetic (late 90's) was based around PAO/POE and AN developed by Dr. Rudnick. There was a list of oils someone put together a few years ago that used ANs.

Brands that I know use them are:
HPL
Motul
Mobil
Torco

There could be others but most don't disclose that type of information.

I shouldn't have said that I know they use them. Not sure about Mobil anymore. HPL, Motul, Torco say they do.

It even says in the description that this engine oil is made for direct injection engines. If you don't have a GPF, then this fullsaps oil will probably still be a great choice. Without GPF, there would probably be no midsaps oil.

Until the Russian Oil club does a VOA, it's anyone's guess lol. I'm not sure how AN's show up on a FTIR. Unfortunately, some of the newer oils are using things that just don't show up. Some are even using bio-based base oils.

There are some companies (very few) that tell you what base oils they use - HPL, Red Line and Torco. Torco is surprisingly very transparent with a great website.

The current M1 0w40 SP is GTL/PAO. No idea what other base oils they are using in this current formulation.

View attachment 186534
Buster: do we know NOACK on current M1 0w40 SP.? Thinking it be close to what their ESP X3 is

Buster: do we know NOACK on current M1 0w40 SP.? Thinking it be close to what their ESP X3 is
I’m curious about the noack and base oil percentages are on the Mobil 1 fs 5w40 as well. 2 Walmarts close to me either carry 5w or 0w. Funny how they don’t carry both. I keep seeing people say the 0w has better base oils with no proof. Doesn’t make since to me because the 5w should have the same and just simply less viscosity improvers and higher hths

I’m curious about the noack and base oil percentages are on the Mobil 1 fs 5w40 as well. 2 Walmarts close to me either carry 5w or 0w. Funny how they don’t carry both. I keep seeing people say the 0w has better base oils with no proof. Doesn’t make since to me because the 5w should have the same and just simply less viscosity improvers and higher hths
I’ve wondered why their data sheets don’t show much. Even Safety Kleen oils I posted specs of; they show a LOT

I’ve wondered why their data sheets don’t show much. Even Safety Kleen oils I posted specs of; they show a LOT
Absolutely. Im hoping to find out from a trusted source soon to see if he would know. It also looked like in the VOAs between the 2 that the 0w had more addictives than the 5w. This guy is also smart so I’m leaning towards what he had to say as well about the 0w having more.

IMG_1947.jpg

0w40 does contain more pao. It’s a little more stout as well. From a trusted source.

Back