Amsoil EAO13 question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this board. I recently became an Amsoil preferred customer. I have been using Mobil 1 since 1998, but feel that Amsoil sells a better quality oil after doing a lot of research on the subject. My wife and I currently own two vehicles, both were bought new, a 2006 Honda Pilot and a 2007 Honda Civic. The Civic is just about two months old and has only been driven ~600 miles so far. After the break-in is complete, I plan to use Amsoil 0W-20 and an EAO13 oil filter. Due to short trips and low miles, I will most likely opt for 6 month oil changes on the Civic. Depending on the UOA's, I may extend up to 12 months over the course of several oil changes. Anyway, that is some background on my plans.

Now for my questions:

First, I have heard that the EAO13 filter tends to perform better over time. Some folks tell me that I should replace the EAO13 every other oil change. This seems contrary to everything I have ever been told about oil filtration. It seems that a new filter should always work better than one that is partially fouled.

Second, this is somewhat off topic. How is the packaging when items are ordered directly from Amsoil? Is everything well protected, or are the items just put into a cardboard box and sent out? Does the EAO13 filter come shrink wrapped?

Thanks for your help!

I'd suggest getting the Amsoil 0W20 15,000 severe/1 year oil and the EaO13. Then at 6 months do a UOA. Then change both out at a year.

Amsoil ships everything by UPS. I am also from Houston and usually get my order in 2 days from the Dallas warehouse.

I've never gotten anything shrink wrapped from Amsoil. The filters come in a filter box like at Wal-Mart and bubble wrap everything and should survive the trip. However, I have seen packages damaged by UPS. If this happens, call UPS and free return ship. Amsoil will send another order. Even if you open it and it was obviously dammaged in shipment, UPS and Amsoil will make good on it. Out of the hundreds of filters I have had shipped to customers, I only remember 1 filter being damaged. Amsoil made good on it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help! I do plan to use the 15K/1 year 0W-20 product from Amsoil. The only thing that may drive me to change oil earlier than 1 year intervals will be wear particles from break-in. I doubt that loss of TBN or other issues will be much of a concern with the low miles that will be driven. UOA's from BSL's should be able to help me with this. I may even opt for the Dyson check periodically.

One thing I really like about the Honda OEM oil filter is that it comes shrink wrapped. It just seems that this would be considered best practice among the high end oil filter suppliers. Anyway, I do appreciate your help! By the way, I live in South Houston near Hobby Airport.

Quote:

First, I have heard that the EAO13 filter tends to perform better over time. Some folks tell me that I should replace the EAO13 every other oil change. This seems contrary to everything I have ever been told about oil filtration. It seems that a new filter should always work better than one that is partially fouled.

Second, this is somewhat off topic. How is the packaging when items are ordered directly from Amsoil? Is everything well protected, or are the items just put into a cardboard box and sent out? Does the EAO13 filter come shrink wrapped?

As for the filter re-use, read your manual carefully. At least for the Pilot (if as my Ody) Honda says to change the filter every other oil change. Ea0 can handle it.

I've never had a damaged filter, but I had two damaged shipments for customers, both were dropped (from some height) by UPS. What bugs me, is UPS just left the shipments and took off. What Most people don't know is that a customer can still refuse a shipment if UPS drops something off at your porch...and this is the best way to handle a damaged shipment. Really rare though. The filters are not shrink wrapped but in general (depending on your regional warehouse) the shipping packaging is fairly well though out.

Too bad you didn't sign up with Gary or me. (Bitog Site sponsors)

I just ordered via phone (lady seemed so uninterested, impatient and couldnt care less). Told her that I would pick my stuff from distribution centre nearby. I went to the wearhouse and they had my order all set. Turned out that wearhouse gets a fax with my order and they put together stuff in a box for me. Credit card was charged on the spot when I picked it up.

Also, more importantly, I neednt have ordered it by phone. I could have just walked into the distribution centre and go around aisles picking whatever I want and pay for it at the desk. Guy was friendly and no customers around so it could've worked.

Anyways, back to the filter topic, I picked up an EaO13 and couple Wix 51356. None of them were shrink wrapped. I noticed there were no metal shavings on the filter neck. It feels like it was coated with something.

The phone handlers are usually on the up side of normal/pleasant. I got a trainee last time I called in a PC/order for a new customer. It felt kinda good having the person on the other end stumble a bit instead of me. I imagine it's not the most exciting job in the world.

Ihave run the EAO 13 on my Hondas in the past and didn't change them but every other oil change. The price of one makes it imperative for it to perform at least as long as two average oil filters. I have been less than impressed with some of Amsoil's shipping personel. The last EAO's I got were in the shipping box rolling around free. They were not in the filter boxes. Sorta leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you pay that much for a filter.
I think the filter can handle at least two oil changes with ease. I would unscrew mine at oil change time and drain all the used oil that would come out then re-tighten. Never had one leak doing that.

I would have to agree on the point that an oil filter that costs me nearly $14 needs to safely go at least 10-15k miles to be worth that expense. From the (Amsoil) testing that I have read and heard though, the EaO series is capable of that and more...

Myself and others are in the process of the 'every other' oil filter change. My OLM is at 40% right now with a Honda Filtech Inc. oil filter left on from the previous OCI. UOA will go to Terry.

I plan to do this with a K&N next, and then an EaO13, maybe even the Mobil EP .... this process just takes more time and expertise (Terry) to conclude that the 'every other' in fact helped or hurt or simply maintained.

I didn't realize that it was possible to give credit to someone from this site when I became an Amsoil preferred customer. I know better now and will look to do so when I renew a year from now.

Just get either mine or Pablo's (which ever you fancy wink:wink) dealer numbers to put in the referral field. It may not come up on a renewal
dunno.gif
Just give one of us a PM or email.

I dunno
confused.gif
We may be treading on "sacred ground" ..so to speak. Let me see what the inner workings of Amsoil say on the topic. Not a biggie from my end. Any dealer would surely like the added throughput to their dealership, but any Amsoil dealer on BITOG will help you out however he can ...or so I imagine.

I'll PM you with my findings.

Not really much you can do now unless you can prove that you were "corresponding" with a different dealer prior to becoming a PC. Bascially if you were "assigned" your dealer by mistake.

As far as changing dealers when you renew, you will have to wait an entire year after your PC subscription expires before you are release to any dealer. So when you will renew you are automatically "stuck" with that dealer.

Amsoil is perhaps shooting itself in the foot with this dealer mayhem. I can understand if the dealer is the guy who is putting up storage and what not.. but thats not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back