Amsoil EA15K50 Cut Open 5511miles - HPL PCMO

I've got the most recent one from our 1500 in the basement, haven't gotten around to cutting it yet. We have 2,613 engine hours on it, 418 idle hours. It does a lot of short tripping in-town.

Time will tell, however, I'm curious if what I'm seeing is what the Amsoil rep was referring to in response to my inquiry a few months ago...

Due to the MDS cylinder deactivation system on these engines, the byproducts from this system that get into the engine oil were causing the AMSOIL oil filter to become prematurely filled to capacity and becoming plugged. As a result of this phenomenon we recommend using the WIX or Donaldson oil filters, which do not appear to be affected by this issue.

Time will tell, however, I'm curious if what I'm seeing is what the Amsoil rep was referring to in response to my inquiry a few months ago...
I wonder how they are determining it is the result of MDS and not just the HEMI being a dirty running engine? Also, worth noting, this only impacts the small filter, the EaO11 (FL820S size) that's on some of them was not included in the TSB.

GM's LSx family engines were also included, since they call for the same filter.

Were the specks hard or soft?

I'd tend to say they're hard. Definitely not squishy.

I wonder how they are determining it is the result of MDS and not just the HEMI being a dirty running engine? Also, worth noting, this only impacts the small filter, the EaO11 (FL820S size) that's on some of them was not included in the TSB.

GM's LSx family engines were also included, since they call for the same filter.

Do the LS engines have an MDS system?

If you're running an OEM filter maybe it's less efficient & this Amsoil is more efficient at trapping soot. That could be why you're not seeing any debris. 🤷‍♂️

OP try running this filter out a bit longer. I think you've concluded that so... Thanks for posting this Amsoil filter.

The more likely case is the PP was leaving behind a small amount of piston deposits without much cleaning action (as common API oils aren't formulated to clean), and the HPL is cleaning up those deposits. Hence, carbon deposits now showing in the filter.

The more likely case is the PP was leaving behind a small amount of piston deposits without much cleaning action (as common API oils aren't formulated to clean), and the HPL is cleaning up those deposits. Hence, carbon deposits now showing in the filter.
Definitely wouldn't surprise me, however, it certainly isn't as dramatic as others have shown.

Some kind of ring land or piston carbon.

Being flaked off. Interesting!

With Penn Plat, it wouldn't use any oil until the last couple thousand miles of the OCI (10k). Maybe this is where it was going lol

I'll be curious to see if HPL does not consume at all over this interval.

Yep, they have what's called "AFM" but they are also direct injected, which the HEMI isn't, which makes up for any inherently cleaner combustion characteristics, as GDI creates soot.
I believe the AFM is Active fuel management if I read it correctly. Maybe I’m wrong. Thanks OVERKILL for the info on the HEMIS 🇨🇦🇺🇸

I believe the AFM is Active fuel management if I read it correctly. Maybe I’m wrong. Thanks OVERKILL for the info on the HEMIS 🇨🇦🇺🇸
Yep, that's what AFM stands for. It's essentially GM's version of MDS, but they have a crappier lifter design, lol.

Yep, they have what's called "AFM" but they are also direct injected, which the HEMI isn't, which makes up for any inherently cleaner combustion characteristics, as GDI creates soot.
Little off-topic ... but I was under the impression that DI was suppose to give better combustion and power output, yet it creates more soot. I've seen the tail pipes of DI cars and they are way dirtier than compared to my port injected cars. And if DI creates more soot I would assume that the tailpipe emissions are also higher. DI almost seems backwards from port injection in terms of soot and emissions. 🤷‍♂️

Little off-topic ... but I was under the impression that DI was suppose to give better combustion and power output, yet it creates more soot. I've seen the tail pipes of DI cars and they are way dirtier than compared to my port injected cars. And if DI creates more soot I would assume that the tailpipe emissions are also higher. DI almost seems backwards from port injection in terms of soot and emissions. 🤷‍♂️
When I compare the tailpipe of my 2021 Duramax and the tail pipe of a modern DI car, the modern DI tailpipe has a nice thick coating of black soot, while my Duramax is clean and still shows bare metal after 40,000 miles.

I believe it's just a matter of time until gasoline powered cars in the US have GPFs (Gasoline Particulate Filters), just like diesel vehicles have DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters).

When I compare the tailpipe of my 2021 Duramax and the tail pipe of a modern DI car, the modern DI tailpipe has a nice thick coating of black soot, while my Duramax is clean and still shows bare metal after 40,000 miles.

I believe it's just a matter of time until gasoline powered cars in the US have GPFs (Gasoline Particulate Filters), just like diesel vehicles have DPFs (Diesel Particulate Filters).
Great idea! Good hate driving in the mountains following a DI car up an incline. Stinks like hell and burns my nose. Can’t be good!

Back