Amsoil EA15K19 vs Fram Ultra XG11665

Big E

Site Donor 2023
I've always been a fan of the Amsoil EA filters. I was dismayed to see that they have outsourced their cartridge filters to China.

I decided to brave the "People of Walmart" at the nearest store to check out one of these Fram Ultra's people seem to be so fond of. The filter aisle looked like it was hit by an F5 tornado, but I was able to find the Ultra for my application. Which is a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/3.6l V6.

Pic 1: Boxes side by side, The EA came sealed in a zip lock type plastic bag, the duct tape I put on to keep the lid closed while it sat on my shelf for the last 6 mos. The Fram was in the box by itself. The seal looked tampered with as did most of the filters at the store. I made sure the filter was indeed an ultra and was in good shape.

Pic 2: Fram on the left. Fram uses a clear plastic screen backing on the media. Amsoil has a metal screen which I assume is aluminum. The Amsoil media looks to be twice as thick as the Fram. You can see in the pic that it lets more light in than the EA.

Pic 3: Fram on the right. The plastic cage on the Ultra is thicker than the EA. The Ultra has a green O ring instead of black like the EA. This pic also shows the side with the widest pleat spacing.

Pic 4: Fram on the right. The EA looks like it was heat sealed on the crimp, you can see the wire backing on the pleat on both sides. The Ultra was glued and is clearly uneven.

I took a couple of other photos but they didn't come out thanks to the shutter delay on my phone.

The Ultra went in on the latest oil change. The EA will go in on the next one.

Personally, I would have to give the quality nod to the EA. I'm not a big fan of China though.

This post was meant for entertainment purposes only.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 264
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 268
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 273
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 270
I've always been a fan of the Amsoil EA filters. I was dismayed to see that they have outsourced their cartridge filters to China.

I decided to brave the "People of Walmart" at the nearest store to check out one of these Fram Ultra's people seem to be so fond of. The filter aisle looked like it was hit by an F5 tornado, but I was able to find the Ultra for my application. Which is a 2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/3.6l V6.

Pic 1: Boxes side by side, The EA came sealed in a zip lock type plastic bag, the duct tape I put on to keep the lid closed while it sat on my shelf for the last 6 mos. The Fram was in the box by itself. The seal looked tampered with as did most of the filters at the store. I made sure the filter was indeed an ultra and was in good shape.

Pic 2: Fram on the left. Fram uses a clear plastic screen backing on the media. Amsoil has a metal screen which I assume is aluminum. The Amsoil media looks to be twice as thick as the Fram. You can see in the pic that it lets more light in than the EA.

Pic 3: Fram on the right. The plastic cage on the Ultra is thicker than the EA. The Ultra has a green O ring instead of black like the EA. This pic also shows the side with the widest pleat spacing.

Pic 4: Fram on the right. The EA looks like it was heat sealed on the crimp, you can see the wire backing on the pleat on both sides. The Ultra was glued and is clearly uneven.

I took a couple of other photos but they didn't come out thanks to the shutter delay on my phone.

The Ultra went in on the latest oil change. The EA will go in on the next one.

Personally, I would have to give the quality nod to the EA. I'm not a big fan of China though.

This post was meant for entertainment purposes only.
I think their cartridge filters are vastly different from their spin on ones, which are the ones people mostly reference.

Yeah, I have noticed their cartridge ones are different than canister ones. Media looks and feels different and has plastic vs metal mesh.
I am not sold 100% on the Ultra Cartridge filters.

I can get OEM Hyundai/Kia for less ($8) off e-bay than a XG10855 at Walmart ($14.50), heck, even less than the basic CH10855 ($10.25).

The mesh may be plastic on the Ultra, but it is a BEAR to tear apart. I had to use vice grips to pull it apart. That media won't be coming apart with even the hardest conditions that engine can produce.

That mesh is like a strong monofiliment fishing line or something similar.

pwms5Cp.jpg

I believe you are right Zee.... If I'm not mistaken BMW oil filters were one of the first ones to utilize that mean design.

The seals on the boxes at Walmart are all tampered with for two reasons. Ner'-do-wells who take the XG filters and swap boxes with lower priced filters like SuperTech and then people like me that break the seals to make sure that hasn't happened to the one their buying before leaving the store.

Interesting comparison!

Last edited:
The seals on the boxes at Walmart are all tampered with for two reasons. Ner'-do-wells who take the XG filters and swap boxes with lower priced filters like SuperTech and then people like me that break the seals to make sure that hasn't happened to the one their buying before leaving the store.

Interesting comparison!
I wish they would put the clear windows on the boxes like some filters used to have.
While it would not stop those that switch them (if you go through self checkout nobody there verify), but would allow one to easily see in the Ultra box to verify what is in there.

At one time I was looking at the XG9688 boxes at my local Walmart and all 8 of them had Supertech filters inside.
I brought them to the auto counter and told them, the guy said it happens all the time, and they have cameras on that area specifically because of that, but it apparently does not help.

The end plates look slightly thicker in the FRAM? At the same price, I'd use the non-China filter, it's an even easier decision if the non-China filter is cheaper. Both look of high quality.

Where was the fram ultra made?

All of the white media fram ultra cartidge filters that I have seen are made in either China or South Korea.

Anyone who thinks that a visual inspection of an oil filter will tell you much about a filter is mistaken. The proof is in laboratory testing of flow rate, particle capture, particle loading, etc. No one has calibrated eyeballs that can differentiate between two similar filters.

Anyone who thinks that a visual inspection of an oil filter will tell you much about a filter is mistaken. The proof is in laboratory testing of flow rate, particle capture, particle loading, etc. No one has calibrated eyeballs that can differentiate between two similar filters.
You need both - ISO performance specs if available for the performance aspect.

A visual inspection of both new and used filters does reveal construction and quality aspects.

Back