Amsoil ATF not listed as Dexron 6? Only the Fuel efficient model

Noticed amsoil added a "fuel efficient" ATF to their line up a couple years ago, and still has the original "multi vehicle" ATF.
Noticed the multi vehicle only lists dexron 2 and 3. Where as the fuel efficient lists dexron 6.

Digging through old posts https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/amsoil-atf-replaces-dexron-vi-others.62901/ it looks like around 2006 amsoil updated their normal ATF to include dexron 6, by lowering the Kinematic Viscosity (cSt), I assume to meet dexron 6 specs.
But looking on the spec sheet https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3110.pdf now in 2020 the normal ATF no longer lists dexron 6, only the fuel efficient does. (normal has a cSt of 7.5 at 100 degrees, fuel efficient of 6.3)
Wiki is saying dexron 6 is a 6.4 cSt.

My 2014 2500 (6L90) calls for Dexron 6 in the tranny and transfer case. Even amsoils webpage only lists the fuel efficient when searching my truck.

I don't want a 'fuel efficient' oil that is actually less than ideal, but made just to meet the government CAFE/fuel economy numbers. Is amsoil stuck recommending this just because GM is forced to list the dexron 6 with thinner more fuel efficient makeup?

Anyone know what the deal is here? Has amsoil reworked their formula a few times over the years? Thoughts on using multi vehicle in the 6L90?
I tried called a amsoil dealer, but they were more of just a salesman. He gave me a phone number for amsoil technical department I can talk to on Monday.

I'm not sure I understand the question. No Amsoil ATF products are Dexron licensed, so other than asking Amsoil you don't know for sure.

Maybe "licensed" isn't the word I'm looking for. I'm referring to where it lists which specs it meets/recommended applications.
In terms if dextron specs, amsoil lists dexron 2 and 3 for multi vehicle, and the fuel efficient lists dexron 6.

Your vehicle calls for Dexron VI so you want to use the fuel efficient atf. the multi vehicle atf would be if your vehicle was speced for Dexron III
If you use the Multi vehicle atf you could have some shifting issues. JMO

Dexron VI is a lower viscosity fuel-efficient ATF

Dexron III was a higher viscosity ATF

Also, the thinner Dexron VI starts out thinner but is more shear stable, so a Dexron VI after 60k won't be thinner than Dexron III after 60k.

Curious why a thinner fluid is "less than ideal?"

Millions of vehicles using low viscosity ATF as recommended by the manufacturer with no issues.

Maybe "licensed" isn't the word I'm looking for. I'm referring to where it lists which specs it meets/recommended applications.
In terms if dextron specs, amsoil lists dexron 2 and 3 for multi vehicle, and the fuel efficient lists dexron 6.

The formulation for Multi-Vehicle ATF's is that of the Dexron III-H/Mercon specs or what we normally call, "Dex/Merc" and comes in new at 7.3 cSt@100C.

The Dexron VI formula, as has been stated, is more stable than any previous Dex/Merc ATF's and has a slightly lower new oil viscosity (around 6.0 cSt@100C) but holds its viscosity over its lifetime, whereas the old Dexron III-H/Mercon formula shear down to about 4.5 cSt in about 25k miles.

Last edited:
Curious why a thinner fluid is "less than ideal?"

Millions of vehicles using low viscosity ATF as recommended by the manufacturer with no issues.

I guess my concern was more based on the dexron 6 rated one being called "fuel efficient".
Normally with things there is a fuel efficient version, and a heavy duty version of things. Give or take.

Maybe a better name would have been more fitting. When i think of oils for my truck and towing I want heavy duty, so I instantly ignore the "fuel efficient" versions of things.

Amsoil ATL is the “correct” version recommended by Amsoil to replace Dex VI. It’s been run many times and likely hundreds of thousands of miles by board members.

What are your concerns when it’s the fluid recommended for your application? If you’re that concerned about it’s viability, choose another product. But there’s absolutely no issues with ATL. I’ve used it myself several times.

Back