Amsoil and Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 02 Z28 with 7500 miles on it, At the 6500 mile oil change I switched to synthetic (mobil 1). I've done some searches here but wanted to get some opinions on the pros and cons of the two oils Redline and Amsoil. I occasionally drag/auto-x, I do like to DRIVE my car. I can get amsoil here at the local auto parts store for $6.50 a quart, redline is a little more about $8.00. I know there both good oils, what are the advantages and drawbacks to each? Which would be the best choice for me, and will they affect my warranty without an API rating.

Andy

i think mobil 1 is factory fill on the z-28, at least that way your sticking with what gm engineers intended.
smile.gif

Yep, early in the 2002 model year GM quietly started putting in Mobil 1 in all LS1s, even in Camaros and Firebirds.

You can't go wrong with either Amsoil or Redline, both are good long drain oils, but Redline has moly in it, so you'll probably see lower engine wear with that. Plus Redline is made with high horsepower cars in mind, while Amsoil is more geared as an extended drain oil for Mom and Pop type cars. You could still go 10k on Redline though.

Warranty is an issue. In case of failure the manufacturer may never know what oil you used and pay off. However, if they do find out I assure you they will put up a great fight and say you are not covered. After three years in court you will win, can you afford that? Assuming that the oil was not the casue of the failure.

Amsoil will not pay off on its warranty, never has. They didn't pay off in the recent Toyota sludge issue when Amsoil was used in some engines. Claimed manufacturing defect! They always claim the engine in question dissolved due to a manufacturing defect, their oil cannot fail according to AJ. Only a bad concoction or blend at the factory can cause failure and this has not happened so they claim.

With this said, I use Amsoil on new cars and am willing to take the risk. Then again, I have no problem naming the manufacturer and Amsoil in any future lawsuits.

Stay with Mobil 1 if you have any doubts about warranty!

That is the problem with non-API oils while under warranty. Even if the oil has a warranty, if it is a manufacturer defect, they will not pay, and if the manufacturer decides that it will warranty the defect, if they know you have not run API rated oil, they will probably fight you.

No problem with using either of these in a new engine, provided you don't exceed the maximum drain interval recommended by the manufacturer. For most new vehicles, this is anywhere from 7500 miles to 10,000 miles.

Oil analysis is considered legal proof that the oil is performing normally and is used to settle these types of issues.

Spector,

About the Camry/Lexus V-6 sludge issue ....

I think there is clearly a design - not manufacturing - flaw in this engine. If you try running the 7500 mile/1 year oil change interval recommended by Toyota with an API licensed petroleum oil, you will destroy this engine or severely degrade it's performance within 100k miles. I believe this is true even if you are running under ideal, highway driving conditions. The vast majority of folks having issues with this engine are running 3000-7500 mile oil/filter change intervals with petroleum oils.

The responsible thing for Toyota to do would be to issue a TSB recommending the use of ACEA, "A3/B4" or VW 502/505 spec oils in this engine. These are the best oils currently available for gas/diesel passenger car engines. For example, the "SL", Sequence IIIf test for high temp deposits and wear runs for 80 hours. The VW "T-4" test to evaluate wear & deposits runs for 248 hours - with NO makeup oil allowed.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:
Oil analysis is considered legal proof that the oil is performing normally and is used to settle these types of issues.

Yes, but by the time you get through the arbitraion process or legal process you have wasted three years of your life.

Most people would say that this is not worth it.

TooSlick - Does anyone manufacture a 10W-30 that meets the ACEA A3/B4 or VW 502/505 specifications?

MSmith,

If you are specifically asking about the Camry, I'd probably use Mobil 1, 10w-30 if you want something that is easy to find. Technically, Mobil 1, 10w-30 is a bit too thin to meet the ACEA A3/B4 viscosity requirement. However, it will meet the test limits for wear/deposits, which is much more important.

I'm trying a couple of different SAE grades in these V-6 Camry engines. When I find something that works to my satisfaction, I'll post it ....
The goal is 7500 mile oil/filter changes under "severe service" conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back