Amsoil 5w40 European Engine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an 01 VW Golf TDI that I love very much. I'd like it to last a good long time. I'm currently running Rotella T 5w40 with LC, but have discovered this: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/afl.aspx

It is a 5w40 with seemingly good specs that even meets CI-4. Would this oil be perfect with my engine? Or should I just stick with what I've been using?

--Matt

The Amsoil stuff I believe is good oil. Their hasn't been many UOA's on it, but it looks good so far. If I were you, I'd use this or go to AutoZone and check out Castrol's 5w-40. $4.99qt. The Castrol I just saw today at AZ said it was specially formulated for VW engines so I'm guessing it meets all the specs. I'm fairly certain it met the 503.01 and 505.00 specs.

quote:

Why use a Castrol when the Amsoil is a full synthetic oil(Non Grp3).

We don't know if the Castrol is a group III, and even if it was, that doesn't mean it's a bad oil. The BC 5w-40 I think is PAO and Ester. If the oil at AZ is this one, it might be a great buy. GC might have some group III as well.
dunno.gif
The Amsoil 5w-40 looks to be a top notch oil. My suggestion for the Castrol was more based on availability.

I've been using Amsoils 5W40 in a Jeep 4.0 and should have a UOA back on it any day now. You might also try the Series 3000 5W30-also an excellent oil.

At the moment I have six oils in my garage that I have bought for use in my ALH powered TDI. They all meet the requirements set forth in my owners manual for use in my engine. Here's the list:

Castrol 5W-40. Meets VW 505.00
Castrol 0W-30. Meets VW 505.00 (viscosity has been questioned but I feel that with a viscosity of 12.1 and a HTHS of >3.5 that it's a non-issue)
Pentosine 5W-40. Meets VW 505.00
Delvac-1 5W-40. Meets API CH-4
Rotella 5W-40. Meets API CH-4
Amsoil 5W-40. Meets VW 505.00 and API CH-4

I stopped using the Delvac this winter because this oil is incredibly thick. I have experienced quite a bit of start-up noise during the cold months with Delvac. At the moment I am using the 0W-30 and will drain it out this spring and then use up my supply of Castrol 5W-40. I am going to do a freezer test this morning on each of these oils (before the wife gets home) just to see how they look at 10ºF.

I've used D1 in the car, and it currently has Rotella T Synth. Is there maybe a better oil that I should be looking at?

--Matt

Matt, to tell you the truth I am inclined to believe that the Rotella synthetic is just about the best bang for the buck in these engines. It easily lasts the recommended 10,000 mile drain interval, it's available from Wal-Mart in most areas, it's priced correctly for a group 3 oil, and it returns very impressive results. It's a heavy duty engine oil that is going to be used in a light duty diesel AND..... it seems to have won my 10ºF freezer test this morning with regards to cold flow.
grin.gif
The Castrol 5W-40 did well too. I was disappointed with the 0W-30. It did no better than the other oils.

Sure, the Delvac-1 and Amsoil are great oils but I feel that they're overkill in the TDI. I have logged 135,000 miles on my Golf using Delvac-1 as the main lube but I don't think that I have gained anything from it. Here's a break-down on some prices for comparison:

Delvac-1 = $25.00 per gallon
Amsoil = $23.00 per gallon
Rotella = $13.00 per gallon
Castrol = $4.99 per quart (either viscosity in my area)
Pentosin = $6.49 per quart

Of course, oil choice is a personal issue and there have been many heated discussions about it. But you will not go wrong with any of the synthetic or synthetic technology oils that meet the specifications for your engine.

Matt,

If you decide to try Amsoil, I'd run their Series 3000, 5w-30 instead of their 5w-40 for a cold climate. I'd also increase your change interval to 15,000 miles or 1 year. The 5w-30 will give you better cold weather performance and a bit better fuel efficiency than the Amsoil 5w-40.

TS

I've seen too many reports of problems with high FE numbers when using 5w30's in this engine. I'd like to stick with 5w40.

And my local fuel supplier has Rotella Synthetic for $11.99/gal now.

--Matt

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
I've seen too many reports of problems with high FE numbers when using 5w30's in this engine. I'd like to stick with 5w40.

--Matt

I have also noticed the High Iron numbers on many UOAs when using the 5w-30. Quite Frankly, there is NO convincing me that Amsoil's 5w-30 is better than 5w-40 or 15w-40.

Hammer

quote:

Originally posted by mkosem:
--Matt

Wow!! That's a great buy! If nothing else you could buy a 4 gallon case of this and be set for a few years all for under 50 bucks.

I used Amsoil 5w-40 in my UPsolute chipped 2000 Golf TDI with good results. Used Oil Analysis showed very good numbers after 6 months and 10k miles of use. I could have gone at least 15k miles on the oil.

Just was curious about the HTHS of Amsoil 5W-40 so I contacted
the company.
4.2cS
Not bad.
Craig

I'd like to give the Amsoil 5W40 a run in my diesel next winter. Been Running the AME for a while now.

A local guy that has a new TDI Jetta told me he uses regular Quaker 5W30 "cus he couldn't find that fancy "5W-whatever" VW dealers sell" I think he was going the full 10,000M too.

quote:

Originally posted by hk33ka1:
A local guy that has a new TDI Jetta told me he uses regular Quaker 5W30 "cus he couldn't find that fancy "5W-whatever" VW dealers sell" I think he was going the full 10,000M too.

This is typical. We'll see this guy posting his dissatisfaction of Volkswagen over at IHATEVW.COM after he starts burning a gallon of oil every 5,000 miles due to piston rings sticking or after his cam lobes grind themselves down to niblet nubs.

BTW, my TDI seems to like the Castrol 5W-40 that I installed in March. I passed the 140,000 mile mark this past week so I'll be doing a fuel filter change and air filter change this weekend but I'm going to run the Castrol out for a bit longer than recommended. I'll change it at my 150,000 mile mark which will be about 12,000 miles on the oil. I do have a UPsolute chip in my car so I do make a tiny bit more soot than is normal but I think it will be fine.

For Mamala Bay and TDI Jerry. What makes
you guys think the 5w40 Castrol Syntec is
a grp 3 oil? This oil is imported from
Belgium and is the same TXT Softec Castrol
sold in Europe and other parts of the world.
It is listed as a synthetic in France, Belgium
and South Africa. If this was a grp 3 oil, they
would not be able to call it a synthetic. Do
you think they would go through all the trouble
and formulate a different oil for North America.

Castrol Syntec 5w30, 5w40 (Group III - note that this oil is frequently recommended by VW dealers but is NOT rated CG-4 or CH-4, and isn't a full synthetic - which calls into question what the dealer is telling people ... this forum is generally of the opinion that Castrol Syntec is not the best choice for this engine)

web page

quote:

Originally posted by 2KBMW:
For Mamala Bay and TDI Jerry. What makes
you guys think the 5w40 Castrol Syntec is
a grp 3 oil? This oil is imported from
Belgium and is the same TXT Softec Castrol
sold in Europe and other parts of the world.
It is listed as a synthetic in France, Belgium
and South Africa. If this was a grp 3 oil, they
would not be able to call it a synthetic. Do
you think they would go through all the trouble
and formulate a different oil for North America.

What makes you think TXT Softec is a 5w40 ? In most parts of the world, TXT Softec is a 5w30, and it IS group 3 (straight from Castrol). The 5w40 Castrol has many different names throughout the world (eg, Magnatec or GTX).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back