Amsoil 5w20 vs PP 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a Amsoil guy for the past few years and lately I have been thinking is it really worth it? I mean we know its great protection. I change my oil every 6k (or when the life montior shows on my Acura TL). I really want absolutely no wear on the engine and want the best oil I can get. But also cost is important. I have to order a case of Amsoil and I pay at least 80-90 a case each time.

I switched from Mobil 1 that made my last car engine clatter more, and got worse gas milege. The new TL though I don't want to get worse switching to PP from Amsoil if I did.

So I am rambling on here and I think you guys understand. Give me some advice!

If you are not extending your drain longer than 6K. Go with whatever is more cost effective. Is your engine modded in anyway?

No performance stuff at this time. I car though during the week only gets driven about 4 miles to work and 4 miles home. So it doesn't get a lot of miles on it.

I recommend for your situation going the analyst route and contacting Terry Dyson.

His screen name is Terry. Also he is a site sponsor. But given that traditionally that Honda motors are easy on oil you may want/could to go with dino.

All of the conventional 5W20's seem to do quite well. I would have no problems running the XL Amsoil as a synthetic alternative or the PP for that matter. Go 0W20 albiet it'll probably come from Mobil. PP make 0W20 too. No matter what, 6K OCI is conservative. With UOA you can most likely double that number.
patriot.gif

6,000 standard driven miles and your wasting the Amsoil. There is no need to change the oil that often especially if you are using one of the really good oil filters like the EAO from Amsoil or K&N or Mobil One or Bosch....

Well to keep the warranty I have to change it when the MID says too. Until its out, I will have to go by that.

As an engineer, you should realize that the amount of money you can save by going to a cheaper oil is down in the noise level (certainly < 1.0%), compared to the total cost of owning a luxury car.

I'd do a bit of oil analysis testing and determine a conservative service interval based on that. The OLM on the Acura is calibrated to work with low TBN, conventional oils. So changing Amsoil every 6000 miles is overly conservative and totally unnecessary.

Oil analysis is accepted as legal proof that the oil is still servicable. I'd have no quams about running your oil longer than the OLM trigger point, provided you have test data to back it up.

If you don’t like M1 go with any major synthetic oil brand widely available in parts stores. They all produce nearly the same UOA results and made from the same base stock & add pack components except maybe RP.. . Personally I have no problems paying $80-$90 for a good stuff but from my point of view case of Amsoil doesn’t worth even a half.

Let's see, 8, maybe 10 miles a day times 365, we're not even talking 5K in a year? Add in a road trip for 5 K in a year? So run the Amsoil, use the Eaofilter, change the oil once a year, the filter every other year. Buy 5 quarts of cheap SM oil every six months and a filter ($7.00 total) so you'll have the receipt, and sleep easy.

You'll be well served, you won't be tampering with the TL much as it won't NEED it, you'll have the oil you're obviously comfortable with in the car, and you'll still cover your warranty issues.

Isn't life simple?
pat2.gif

I use PP 5W20 in my Mustang GT and MC 5W20 in my Escape. I'm a fan of the PP. I think using PP and changing at 6k would be a winning formula for your Acura. My fuel mileage has been excellent with PP.

Amsoil XL oils have proved to be great. The XL 5W-20 is pretty much the best 5W-20 out there, rivalled only by Redline, just barely and it's even more expensive.

I understand the budget thing. I'm the only moneytakerhomer in my house and we live tight. However, the 2006 Honda Ody gets Amsoil XL 5W-20 and it doesn't break the budget. I say use XL and your filter of choice and rest easy.

Amsoil's 5w-20 is "one" of the best available. MC/HAVOLINE/PP/RL are all as good on a price/performance basis. IMO.

Quote:

But also cost is important. I have to order a case of Amsoil and I pay at least 80-90 a case each time.

Every synthetic case I've seen comes in a box of (6) enclosed.

Lets see! Minus tax that would be around $12-$13 per quart.

Yikes!!!!!
crazy.gif

I am using the XL 5W20 Amsoil currently in the car. Just thought if it was really worth still using it and ordering the cases to keep using over PP.

Thanks.

Quote:

I am using the XL 5W20 Amsoil currently in the car. Just thought if it was really worth still using it and ordering the cases to keep using over PP.

Thanks.

Amsoil makes an excellent oil. With that said, for a 6,000 mile OCI I think I'd go with the much cheaper and readily available Pennzoil Platinum.
twocents.gif

If I recall, the 5w-20 XL was tested to surpass the 10,000+ mile oil change intervals for Honda's. I would take the advice of others and use it till 6,000 miles and perform a UOA.

I also change the oil every 6k on my 04' Mazda6, and i'm thinking of switching from M1 5w20 to PP. There's a sale at AAP on PP for buy 1, get 1 free. I've been using M1 from the start, and i'm curious to see how PP would do in my engine. (V-6)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back