Amsoil 10W40, 7,500Miles, Nissan SR20DE Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The increase in viscosity and the total solids level indicates you are seeing lots of blowby, and/or you have low combustion efficiency. This is why the oil is getting prematurely contaminated and the TBN is dropping so quickly. About the only thing you can do is make sure the engine is tuned up and running as efficiently as possible.

I'd run a conventional 15w-40 (ACEA A3/B3 rated), oil with short service intervals of 6000km/6 months in this motor; given the driving conditions and the results of this analysis. An OEM Nissan oil filter will be fine for this as well....

TD

Quote:

i heard some time ago that their is a tax now on those people that drive into metropolitan area's such as London for business and such??? Is this true????

Theres a congestion charge to drive in central London yey its only £8.00 per day $15.45 us

Quote:

The increase in viscosity and the total solids level indicates you are seeing lots of blowby, and/or you have low combustion efficiency.

Really, Blackstone Labs & the Sun Motor analysis machine seem to disagree .........

Still I will leave all well alone for a while & see what comes up at the next analysis

I've been doing oil analysis since 1994 and I stand by my assessment in this case...

TS

Whats this term blowby ...... What is it? is it bad? What can I do to minimise it ?

I really agree with TeeDub - As I stated way earlier in this thread - I suspected combustion materials (water, gases, partially burned petrol) are blowing by your sticky rings. My suggestion is AutoRx will help this engine.

Quote:

What about Motul I know their a French comapny but if the price is better go for it! Surely you can bring a small amount through costumes with no big deal for personel use!

Well considering the huge cost in gasoline here I can't see a impromptu trip to France happening.... So I'm back to teh shipping issue.... Oil is heavy
frown.gif

The silicon number is the most disturbing. The oil seems to be in good shape. How many months on the oil? TBN is actually much better than last time.

Wear is a bit high, and I am starting to think it's related to the Si. When that number comes down, your UOA will look better. Could it be a lower end air leak? Seems the most likely cause.....as Al and Cr (top end and rings) are very low comapared to Fe, Cu and Pb (low end bearings).

si sposed to be comming from a gasket change last year, RTV was used on the sump coverplate & a little on the Rocker cover as per Nissan FSM

Oil had been in the engine about six months & covered 3,300 miles.

Do you use 10w40 year round? If UK gets as cold as Canada does, I dont see how such thick oil is justified in cold weather...

Good Heavens thaqt is insane!!! I would look for a cheaper synthetic as well. Does Motul wich is french have better distribution and lower cost for you? What about Penrite or Fuchs? Total and ELF should also be available. I wold never pay $106 USD for an oil change on a car! I can total understand running conventional oil. If you shorten up the OCI you should be fine with conventional oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back