Amsoil 0W20 1 year 6803 miles 2008 Toyota Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a fill of 4.5 quarts Amsoil ASM 0W20 that I put in November 1, 2008 with a Mobil 1 filter (believe M-103 but will check the number on the filter again). Air filter was stock filter, replaced this OCI with a wix filter.

I still have the oil filter if anyone wants it cut open.

Ran 1 year. Probably 90% of it was severe service, 1.5 mile drive to work, sit for an hour then drive on to the base under a mile and sit until lunch time, then drive back to the office for an hour, then back to the base until 5 then drive home.

Would go to Warwick which is about 23 miles one way and drive around town then head back at the end of the day. Whenever the misses would want to go to the mall or Dave & Buster's I insisted we take my car so I could get it on the highway at 65-70mph for a good 45 minutes each way.

I refilled with Chevron Supreme 5W20 and a Pure One 14477 filter. I still have 18 quarts of ASM left so I dont know why I did not refill with the same. Just want to get rid of some of the oil I have on hand maybe. I think I will dump the Chevron after 6 months and go back to ASM.

ALUMINUM -4
CHROMIUM -1
IRON -11
COPPER -4
LEAD-0
TIN-1
MOLYBDENUM-3
NICKEL-0
MANGANESE-6
SILVER-0
TITANIUM-0
POTASSIUM-1
BORON-8
SILICON-18
SODIUM-8
CALCIUM-2380
MAGNESIUM-39
PHOSPHORUS-633
ZINC-667
BARIUM-1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 8.26 (should be 6.0-10.2)
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 53.3 (should be 46-59)
Flashpoint in °F 530
Fuel % Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Insolubles % 0.3
TBN 2.5

I will post up the other uoa's to see the trends later.

Blackstone's comments:

Michael: Thanks for the note about the oil filter being in place for so long. We measure the effectiveness of an oil filter with the insolubles test. They were low at 0.3%, which shows that the oil filter did a good job even after being in place for so long. Copper improved yet again and now reads close enough to average levels to be considered normal. Wear looks great here and shows no obvious problems developing. You still had some active additive left in this fill with a TBN reading of 2.5. 1.0 is too low for extended use. Everything looks good. Nice improvement!

I'm not sure that driving these newer cars for short distances should be considered severe service anymore, what with how totally controlled the fuel intake and timing are now. Years ago if you did this with a carbed engine you could pull the dipstick and smell the fuel in the oil. Now THAT was severe service lol

Your sig line tells us how you feel about PP, but you run Amsoil and now Chevron
21.gif

Anyway, nice run, Amsoil is good stuff :)

I do have PP but I bought the ASM back when I had a 62 mile round trip commute and my plan was to run it for 15K intervals but I moved closer to my job and now have a 3 miles round trip commute so I need to get rid of it.

I will be going back to PP when I use this up or sell some of the ASM.

Good UOA for the conditions.

The FP is whacked. Have them rerun. (or is it 350F?)
wink.gif

When was the Airfilter last changed? I'd like to see a lower number. (single digit Silicon)

The oil filter would be interested to see inside of esp with Amsoils notice not to run oil filters past the OEM OCI.
21.gif

Take care, Bill

Flash point at 530F? Bill is right. 350F is more like it. Rest of the report is fine.

Last edited:
O2, with all due respect, is it messing with your warranty to use 0w-20 in the Corolla when for warranty purposes the oil filler cap and the dealers I have talked to say that 5w-30 is what should be in the 08 1ZZFE engine.

That TSB that floats around the interwebz specifically does not mention model year 2008 as being okay to use 5w-20.

Not trying to hassle you, just wondering if you found some new information that 08 1ZZFE owners can use anything other than 5w-30.

I called several dealers a couple months ago, and they all told me, "for your 08 Corolla, you must use 5w-30 per the filler cap for us to honor your warranty..."

I know Bill has had over 150,000 trouble free miles with nice UOAs using 5w-30, so that is what I'll stick with in mine for the life of the car.

All that being said, that does look like a nice report buddy!
19.gif

I think it IS ok (and approved with Toyota) to use 5w-20 in the 2006+ 1ZZFE engines...

I'd be more concerned with not following the 5k or 6 month OCI and the use on a non API oil
as those WILL be problems *IF* he has any engine problems that could be traced back to a OCI or Oil.

Toyota has taken the hard line with that. I've talked with Toyota USA and after the issues with the sludge engines (a lot of them were people not following the manual for OCI) and Toyota going to the simple 5k/6mo OCI in 2005 is their reason for no excuses...

But 02zx9r knows the rules and is ok with whatever happens (*IF* anything happens)

Take care, bill

Even with the confusion over 20-weight or 30-weight, this report looks great.

If you are supposed to stay at 6 months/5k miles, you've already caused yourself problems IF they're going to hassle you about it - no point worrying about it now!

You've got 18 quarts of ASM left. With your current 'usage pattern', you've got 4 years worth of oil changes on hand. I'd just keep doing what you are doing, and not worry about buying oil for a while!

As I have said before, I am not too concerned about the warranty. If I were really being careless with my oci's I would be concerned. If I were doing crazy stupid oci's with dino or something like that I would be worried, but I know I am using quality oils and somewhat sensable oci's.

The air filter was the stock air filter, I changed it out the day I changed the oil with a wix filter. It was dirty but nothing too bad.

The flashpoint is 530 on the uoa they sent me, I will email them and ask if that is a typo.

I originally bought two cases of the 0W20 when I had my 2006 Ford Fusion and i still had my longer commute, but since I traded in for the Corolla I figured I would just run it in this.

I have A LOT of maxlife 5W30 and full syn maxlife 5w30, 6 quarts of Mobil Clean 7500 5W20. PP 5W30, Formula Shell 5/10W30 and the 18 quarts of ASM. I used my exxon superflo 5W30 and Supertech 5W30 in my girlfriends explorer.

I still have some Chevron Supreme 5W20 left and I just wanted to try that since I heard it was a decent dino and saw the uoa's from Bill. If I did not have all this oil I would probably stick with PP or PYB and do 6 month intervals.

I just wanted to see how the ASM would hold up in my car for a year. I am going to Louisiana in December for two weeks and that is 1500+ miles each way, not counting the driving I will be doing while down there. So I am tempted to either A)dump the chevron before I leave, B) dump it before I head back and put in the asm, or C) (and I think I am going to do this) change out the Chevron when I get back and use the asm during the heart of the NE winter.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I think it IS ok (and approved with Toyota) to use 5w-20 in the 2006+ 1ZZFE engines...

I'd be more concerned with not following the 5k or 6 month OCI and the use on a non API oil
as those WILL be problems *IF* he has any engine problems that could be traced back to a OCI or Oil.

Toyota has taken the hard line with that. I've talked with Toyota USA and after the issues with the sludge engines (a lot of them were people not following the manual for OCI) and Toyota going to the simple 5k/6mo OCI in 2005 is their reason for no excuses...

But 02zx9r knows the rules and is ok with whatever happens (*IF* anything happens)

Take care, bill

Hi Bill,

I have attached the TSB from Toyota in .pdf form. It says on the document:

"Applicable Vehicles: 2006 – 2007 model year Toyota and Scion vehicles."

Also it says this:

The recommended viscosity grade for this oil differs according to vehicle model.

Use the recommended grade specified on the oil filler cap or in the Repair Manual or Owner’s Manual for each vehicle.

Here is a link to the infamous TSB. LINK

The recommended viscosity grade for this oil differs according to vehicle model. Use the recommended grade specified on the oil filler cap or in the Repair Manual or Owner’s Manual for each vehicle.

Toyota, in my opinion, has done a disservice by making this TSB ambiguous with regard to MY 2008+ vehicles. This TSB was written in 2006.

Toyota, why haven't you updated this document? Sheesh.

Regardless, it is neat to see people trying stuff like 0w-20.

No matter how hard I try I cannot bring myself to try a Xw-20 oil. I know they are great oils, but I cannot get myself off of 5w-30.

I will try and get the TSB I have that I am pretty sure shows it can be used in my car. I think.

I think we all can agree that the TSB STARTS with the 2006 model year and continues with 2007, 2008 and so on.

There is no way they are going to have only the 2006-2007 use 5w-20 and then go back to 5w-30 for 2008 IMO.

Personally if I was not having excellent service from normal 5w-30 oils I'd go and try 5w-20.

Everything I've seen here and in everyday use 5w-20 is a "No worry" oil in these engines.

The 530 degree FP is not even close.
33.gif

Also this oil is far from a 25k, 30k, 35k, (or whatever Amsoil claims) OCI in this engine. (again IMO)
whistle.gif

Take care, bill

If I were still doing my old commute i would have around 15K in 7 months, I think it could make that. But not with the service I have now.

Toyotas are back-spec'ed...I'm certain there is a thread about it. How would the dealer know the difference between 0w-20 and 5w-30 by "looking at it".

"We aren't honouring your non-oil-related warranty claim because your oil looks like a 0w-20" All they care about is that you are changing your oil and maintaining the vehicle. There are a LOT more people who don't do any service until something breaks, that is why there are mentions of warranty.

Also, if your dealer ever offers the "advice" that they can not honour warranty for running Amsoil, get it in writing and call your local dealer or a telephone tech support agent and they will take care of things for you.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
As I have said before, I am not too concerned about the warranty. If I were really being careless with my oci's I would be concerned. If I were doing crazy stupid oci's with dino or something like that I would be worried, but I know I am using quality oils and somewhat sensable oci's.

The air filter was the stock air filter, I changed it out the day I changed the oil with a wix filter. It was dirty but nothing too bad.

The flashpoint is 530 on the uoa they sent me, I will email them and ask if that is a typo.

I originally bought two cases of the 0W20 when I had my 2006 Ford Fusion and i still had my longer commute, but since I traded in for the Corolla I figured I would just run it in this.

I have A LOT of maxlife 5W30 and full syn maxlife 5w30, 6 quarts of Mobil Clean 7500 5W20. PP 5W30, Formula Shell 5/10W30 and the 18 quarts of ASM. I used my exxon superflo 5W30 and Supertech 5W30 in my girlfriends explorer.

I still have some Chevron Supreme 5W20 left and I just wanted to try that since I heard it was a decent dino and saw the uoa's from Bill. If I did not have all this oil I would probably stick with PP or PYB and do 6 month intervals.

I just wanted to see how the ASM would hold up in my car for a year. I am going to Louisiana in December for two weeks and that is 1500+ miles each way, not counting the driving I will be doing while down there. So I am tempted to either A)dump the chevron before I leave, B) dump it before I head back and put in the asm, or C) (and I think I am going to do this) change out the Chevron when I get back and use the asm during the heart of the NE winter.

Give the Chevron 5W-20 a chance, and don't waste it - run it 5k or 6 months, whatever comes first.

I think I will. It should be fine until the May time frame I am sure.

The TSB I have is the same one that was already linked.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Toyotas are back-spec'ed...I'm certain there is a thread about it. How would the dealer know the difference between 0w-20 and 5w-30 by "looking at it".

It would be called Toyota asking for and getting receipts where the UPC tells them what brand and weight of oil you used.

Also Toyotas are NOT back spec'd. Toyota DID do some mods to the 1ZZFE from 2005 to 2006 to run the 5w-20.

Bill

If I were still doing my old commute i would have around 15K in 7 months, I think it could make that. But not with the service I have now.

I don't think so.

My almost 10k run of ASL had a low 2.x TBN. The timing chain takes its toll on the oil.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I don't think so.

My almost 10k run of ASL had a low 2.x TBN. The timing chain takes its toll on the oil.

Take care, bill

Yes easily. ASM is not at all ASL. Bill is good, but he missed some other things as well.

Good analysis. Native Si is 8-10, so 18 ppm is nothing to fret.

Amsoil recommends 1 year. You did the year. You are covered.

ASM does have a rock solid flash point, but you probably want to have Blackstone check this goof.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the air filter, it was the original filter that came in the car. I just swapped it out at this oil change for the Wix that I got from Pablo a while back

I should probably check my manual and see what it recommends for the intervals for the cabin filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back