Amsoil 0-30 vs 10-30 vs 5-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, I am an Amsoil user and have been for many years. I've been reading BITOG for a while and I would like an explanation as to why it seems that many of "you" steer away from recommending their 0-30? I was at my Dealer last week and even he was leaning toward the 5-30 or the 5-30 Diesel.

I have plenty of ArX and LC on hand.
smile.gif

Gebo,
I too am an Amsoil user, I am running the 0w-30 and am plenty happy with it. From everything I have read, the price of the 0w-30 when compared to how much the oil would thicken (or at least the SL version) out of grade and lead to performance decreases, plus some UOA's were showing low TBNs for low miles, so basically it was speculated that it wouldn't be able to handle 20,000-35,000 miles before being changed. So the users who only go 15,000 miles would be safe with the 5w-30 and 10w-30 (ASL & ATM) and it would cost less. As for the 5w-30 HDD, I am going to begin using it after my 0w-30 run, but a lot of users believe it can handle the contamination from V8 engines, so therefore can handle the full 25,000 miles while keeping low metals and a higher TBN for the same price as the 0w-30.

There are probably more reasons but I will let the experts put that input in.

I'll let the experts do the technical side but I'm running Amsoil's 5w30 HDD and will be doing a same run of Amsoil's 0w30 (new formula). Will compare the UOAs. I've run GC 0w30 in my 4cyl 2.2L Ecotec and it was perfect. After 3,000 miles there was virtually no wear. We'll see how Amsoil's 0w30 does but I have no doubt that it will do very well along with the 5w30 HDD.

CT summed it up ok. In a nutshell, I just don't think it's s great value for around town, under 15000 miles per year driving. I suppose with a UOA you could go over 12 months, and in reality the oil would be OK.

It's really a highway cruiser long traveling salesman oil. Some guys do the 30K mile per year thing, and that's not just driving around the 'hood. In those cases, it's a true value.

I will say this, the latest formula does not seem to be thickening in the 15,000+ mile range.

Many have been turned off by the fact that the old formula Amsoil 0w-30 had a tendecy to thicken.

On the other hand, the S3000 5w-30 apparently has a high ester content and tends to stay in grade. This is indeed an impressive oil. It seems great for almost any application. The only deterent is the price. However, it does become cost effective if you run it for at least 15,000 miles.

However, there was a recent UOA of the 0w-30 that looked awsome. I don't know if it was with the new 0w-30 or the old. If it was with the new, then some of it critics need to give the 0w-30 a second look.

i use the0-30 and i love it. I dont know all this tecnical jargen, I just listen to my car and feel it. It feels so much better.

1) what does UOA mean?

Pablo, are you sure the 0w-30 is still SL?

I do think the latest Amsoil oils are better then they were. Whether it's due to the SM spec or not, I don't know but I do know the UOA's as of lately look very good.

[ April 22, 2006, 05:05 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Amsoil's PDF states that the 0w-30 is the best oil for a gas engine that they make and that it has the best deposit control among all their oils. S3k as well.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Pablo, are you sure the 0w-30 is still SL?

I do think the latest Amsoil oils are better then they were. Whether it's due to the SM spec or not, I don't know but I do know the UOA's as of lately look very good.

I just received a few cases of the 0w-30 and they are all SL labeled.

Locally, Amsoil 0w-30 sells for $9 a quart. I have been using GC 0w-30 which sells for $5.29 a quart for the past 4000 miles in both my vehicles. What is the difference between these two popular oils? The cost difference is significant, is the performance difference?

Amsoil TSO 0W-30 is SL.

For under 10K OCI GC is simply a better deal than Amsoil TSO. GC has not proved itself over 15K. Amsoil has gone 25K+ miles and protected just fine.

I rarely recommend TSO, unless used as I noted above.

TSO is listed as SM, go check the Amsoil Wholesale list for Feburary 2006. Its been discussed before.

Pablo, it is saying that it meets and exceeds the SM specification. But you say the oil is still SL, are you saying that the formula is still the SL formula, but it meets the SM specs?

Maybe the oil still being shipped out is old SL stock, because I got a gallon jug along with 3 quarts of HDD 5w-30 and they are still only labeled CI-4, and it is now, and has been a while before I received it, CI-4+. That's no big deal to me, since I will be using it in a gas engine. Just an observation though.

I asked Amsoil. They said the oil produced last year, this year and yesterday is SL.

As far as I know the containers say: SL

I don't have the G26 .pdf here nor do I have the paper price list, but if memory serves me it says:

API SM/CF, SL.....

Yes, that is correct with the ratings for the G26, and the newest retail catalog, which came with the April Action News, also lists the 0w-30 the same way. Also the ILSAC GF-4 rating is listed.

Every time you reformulate, you have to generate and post a new MSDS. I have not seen one for the 0w-30 in the past year. However the 5w-30/10w-30 have been reformulated as mid-range - 10.5 Cst - 30wt oils.

The 0w-30 does appear to meet the P limit of 800 ppm required for API/SM. It would have easily met the performance requirements ten years ago, so that's a non-issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back