Amoco 93 octane gas same as BP 93??

Status
Not open for further replies.
With BP owning all of Amoco's stations now, is the special blending of Amoco 93 still the same product now that BP is the owner?

Someone mentioned here, maybe it was fuel tanker man(??), that Amoco's 93 has it's own refining process or something like that....it's been a while so my facts are kinda fuzzy.

If so, would that give this product an edge over others on the market??

quote:

With BP owning all of Amoco's stations now, is the special blending of Amoco 93 still the same product now that BP is the owner?

Look for prominent display of "BP Ultimate from Amoco" from BP Marketing.
quote:

If so, would that give this product an edge over others on the market??

I trust "Top Tier" fuel because of consistency of manufacture, storage and distribution of product. For that reason, I prefer Shell V-Power over Amoco/BP Ultimate.

Fuel Tanker Man stated that all gas comes from the same pipe, and the different retailers add their proprietary additives. All except Amoco, which has their own line, and extra filtering.

BP is worst gas you can get in Ohio. Because of
no regulations on the quality of fuel in this
state they have been known to blend the ethanol
at over 20%. Wnat to see something kill your
gas mileage try running that crap. You can
actually watch the gauge needle drop let alone
what other damage it is doing

BUBBA,

Ethanol is doing no damage to your engine. Ethanol is known for not giving as good as gas mileage as regular gasoline. However, Ethanol is cheaper to produce (comes from corn & other crops), typically cheaper to purchase at the pump (E85), and burns cleaner than regular gasoline. The downside is the gas mileage.

I have heard that it actually has more "power" during the combustion process, but I could be totally wrong about that.

Regardless, Ethanol is the new craze right now. Especially, for GM vehicles since a lot of them now can run off E85 (85% Ethanol, 15% gasoline) or regular gasoline at no extra cost on the sticker price of the vehicle.

I think the offering of E85 is a great thing. One of my buddies told me the other day that he passed an E85 pump here in Indy. The price for E85 was more than a $1/gal. cheaper than the regular gasoline. So even though you get worse gas mileage, you typically are saving money b/c you're not paying as much. Although I have figured out that stations that blend up to 10% of Ethanol with their regular gasoline don't pass those Ethanol savings on to the customer.

Well MSHU7 You are correct however my vehicles
are not designed to run on E85 and a 10% Blend
would probably not hurt anything as long as it
was on 10% and you used an upper cylinder lube.
I used to work with a person who had a 1998
Toranado with the 3800 V6 and at 72000 miles
she didn't have a fuel injector that still
functioned properly. The mechanic blamed it on
Ethanol Fuel. You are correct that if it is a
dollar a gallon cheaper and the vehicle
was designed to run on it than fine I would
use it but for most it is not an option

Racerjk wrote:
quote:

Nothing wrong at all with Amoco/BP Ultimate IMO.

It was not my intent to imply that something was wrong with BP Ultimate. On the contrary, I think highly of BP Ultimate. It's #2 on my list of favourites just below Shell V-Power, of course.
smile.gif

The problem in my area are the ratio of Shell to BP stations are on the order of 20:1.

[ March 31, 2006, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Iain ]

All the Amocos in my area have converted to BP. They all display an "Amoco Fuels" logo too, so, at least around Detroit, it's the same thing.

If it says BP/Amoco, then it's Amoco Ultimate 93. It's not BP gas.

IMO, it's about the best premium available out here right now. I drive a very fuel-sensitive car. I like Ultimate 93 even better than the late Sunoco 94.

FWIW, Top Tier certification requires that all fuel grades under the brand meet the detergency standards. While Amoco's other grades may not do so, their 93 grade is advertised to well exceed them. Bear in mind that Top Tier is only a detergency standard, and there is much more to a quality fuel than its detergency.

As stated above, it all comes from the same place in a particular region.

The stores around here-

Exxon
Chevron
Shell
Unbranded
Texaco

It all comes from the terminal in Chattanooga.

In the Birmingham, AL region and parts around, it all comes from the terminal in Pelham, AL.

It's like that all over the country, folks. The same fuel dumped at the Exxon might be dumped at the BP across the street later today or tomorrow.

quote:

If it says BP/Amoco, then it's Amoco Ultimate 93. It's not BP gas.

Not quite sure what point you are trying to make, but BP acquired Amoco a couple years back.

The refineries are all flying a BP flag, now, and Amoco Ultimate exists only as a brand label for a BP refinery product.

In the Midwest/GreatLakes region, the source of BP gasolines is the huge - one of the largest in the U.S. - BP Whiting refinery located on the lakeshore just south of Chicago at Whiting,IN.

http://www.bpwhitingrefinery.com/go/site/962/

Volvohead wrote:
quote:

FWIW, Top Tier certification requires that all fuel grades under the brand meet the detergency standards. While Amoco's other grades may not do so, their 93 grade is advertised to well exceed them. Bear in mind that Top Tier is only a detergency standard, and there is much more to a quality fuel than its detergency.

Detergency standard are only a small part of the Top Tier requirement. Consistency of distribution of product is the key element here.
quote:

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Retailers
Gasoline retailers must meet the high TOP TIER standards with all grades of gasoline to be approved by the automakers as providing TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

In addition, all gasoline outlets carrying the brand of the approved retailer must meet the TOP TIER standards.

I agree about your comment of Amoco Ultimate, however.
http://subsites.bp.com/ultimate/us/default.asp

quote:

Originally posted by Iain:
Racerjk wrote:
quote:

Nothing wrong at all with Amoco/BP Ultimate IMO.

It was not my intent to imply that something was wrong with BP Ultimate. On the contrary, I think highly of BP Ultimate. It's #2 on my list of favourites just below Shell V-Power, of course.
smile.gif

The problem in my area are the ratio of Shell to BP stations are on the order of 20:1.

I haven't had much luck with the Shell stations in this area in regards to V-Power. For some reason, both power and gas mileage are just not there when I run it. I did fill up with it last night because one Shell station had not raised their prices yet. It did seem to be better so far, so I might give it another shot.

As far as the ratio of BP to Shell, I'd say it's even higher than 20:1 in this area!! BP stations are few and far between!! There's only two or three along the entire I-30 corridor here. BP used to be everywhere here too! A lot of the Chevron stations here went to BP several years ago. Chevron is gone from the state too. Some BP stations went to Shell also.

The gasoline business is interesting for sure.

I can't speak to the other grades, which may now come from a different "BP" refinery, but my understanding is that the 93 grade still comes down the separate pipe that was once Amoco's and to which Fuel Tanker man has previously referred to.

If all that has changed is the owner's name, it still seems the same old Amoco 93 to me. It still runs better than anything else out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back