Ammo Shortage News Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
No shortage here you just have to remember all that .380 brass is recyclable. 3.0 Gr of powder a primer and a 90 Gr
bullet and you're good to go. In fact I just cleaned a classified number of .380 cases just this week.
So true. In fact if you reload once fired range cases are easily available by the 500 pack online. You gotta watch the prices and choose carefully as they can vary greatly. Its a great time to start reloading. My big gripe with ranges though is that they won't typically allow you to police your empties.

So true. In fact if you reload once fired range cases are easily available by the 500 pack online. You gotta watch the prices and choose carefully as they can vary greatly. Its a great time to start reloading. My big gripe with ranges though is that they won't typically allow you to police your empties.
I was told primers are hard to get too?

I'm starting to see ammo available online at some of the big dealers. Price, for instance, of 5.56 is around $0.75 a round.
I think we are nearing the end of the shortage. Prices might not ever get back to the under 25 cents a round, but I wouldn't be suprised to see under 40 cents within the next year in the absence if a change in the law or tax policy.

My Forster Co-Ax has been working overtime past couple years to make sure the correct love is handed out to Lapua brass/tipz, FGMM/RWS & VV/RE jugs.

looks like a whole bunch of steel case 9mm and 223 came in. seeing it for about 45 cents a round.

Pretty much anything firearm related today is made of unobtainium, for two reasons:
- high demand due to the initialization of CVD19 panic buying, which has now morphed into residual desire in folks who previously had no interest; these are the same folks who bought so much toilet paper last year that it's stocked on shelves in their basement or garage, but still buy more rather than use what they have ...
- low supply due to commodity shortages (this is a world-wide issue currently ongoing). My industry (HVAC) has seen production shutdowns due to low steel supply; so has my wife's industry (material handling systems). I have friends in other manufacturing industries and they are seeing production shutdowns due to a lack of product supply in glass, plastics, etc. I'm sure we're all aware of the Ford SuperDuty trucks stacked up everywhere around Louisville and the surrounding counties due to electronics in critically short supply.

The ammo shortage is just a small cog in the giant commodity-sensitive wheel, and the entire world is going to have a slow recovery from this issue.
Lol. :rolleyes:

Will Big Brother delete this post too?

I'm starting to see ammo available online at some of the big dealers. Price, for instance, of 5.56 is around $0.75 a round.
I think we are nearing the end of the shortage. Prices might not ever get back to the under 25 cents a round, but I wouldn't be suprised to see under 40 cents within the next year in the absence if a change in the law or tax policy.
The price of copper and base metals, plus the increases in labor costs would indicate high prices for ammo will persist.

Local Academy Sports is starting to have some in stock (.223, 5.56. 7.62 x 39). I'm with you on the prices getting back to 25 cents/rd., ain't gonna happen more likely. Sad but probably true. I would gladly take the 40 cents price for 5.56 nowadays, as many others would.

I recall a few years ago, maybe during the first ammo crunch, that ammunition was actually cheaper than it used to be, decades before that is, or at least that was the scuttlebutt. I wonder if a jump in price going forward should be expected, inflation and all. But I wonder if one were to plot cost/round over the years if it would show similar trend to inflation.

No big brother, one is a statement of fact, the one removed was an off topic attempt at bringing political commentary. Its not complicated, you agreed to it.

Thanks to the members who stayed on topic and avoided prohibited topics of either persuasion. The conspiracy theories and coy "lost my guns" wink wink were removed because, well, see above.

Pretty much anything firearm related today is made of unobtainium, for two reasons:
- high demand due to the initialization of CVD19 panic buying, which has now morphed into residual desire in folks who previously had no interest; these are the same folks who bought so much toilet paper last year that it's stocked on shelves in their basement or garage, but still buy more rather than use what they have ...
- low supply due to commodity shortages (this is a world-wide issue currently ongoing). My industry (HVAC) has seen production shutdowns due to low steel supply; so has my wife's industry (material handling systems). I have friends in other manufacturing industries and they are seeing production shutdowns due to a lack of product supply in glass, plastics, etc. I'm sure we're all aware of the Ford SuperDuty trucks stacked up everywhere around Louisville and the surrounding counties due to electronics in critically short supply.

The ammo shortage is just a small cog in the giant commodity-sensitive wheel, and the entire world is going to have a slow recovery from this issue.
Yeah, this is kind of a tin foil hat view based on anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is kind of a tin foil hat view based on anecdotal evidence.
It’s actually kind of a real world view based on actual supply and prices in commodity markets, like copper, or steel, which anyone following those markets, or reading the news, would already know.

But he was kind enough to throw in some anecdotal examples to make it relatable.

Since you’ve rejected his explanation as “tin foil hat”, what is your explanation?

It’s actually kind of a real world view based on actual supply and prices in commodity markets, like copper, or steel, which anyone following those markets, or reading the news, would already know.

But he was kind enough to throw in some anecdotal examples to make it relatable.

Since you’ve rejected his explanation as “tin foil hat”, what is your explanation?
Providing an explanation assumes I agree that this global shortage of everything myth exists. It does not. The example of Ford pickups sitting in depots in need of chips, I believe is real...so folks can go buy a Ram. I see lots of new pickups on the road. One manufacturer makes an error in supply risk management does not equate to a doomsday event. I'm not denying the fact that there were shortages of many things as a result of covid, but most areas of manufacturer and supply chain have either recovered completely or are well on their way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back