Ammo is pouring in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some Federal Match 9mm for $13 OTD limit 1 per day. There's plenty of 40 S&W in my area, .22, 9mm, 380, 45 acp and .223 are almost impossible.

Picked up a Brick of 500 rounds of .22 ammo, box of 9MM and some .223 ammo here Tuesday.

Wal-Mart had Remington UMC 9mm 250 round box for $64.00. Got some Blazer Brass 9mm 115 Gr 50 round per box at another store for $13.99, and A brick (500 rounds) of .22 Windchester Wildcat for $21.90.

Seeing a lot more ammo now on the shelves and more starting to show up over the Internet too.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
What was the cause of the shortage? The election results?

DHS buying up 1.1 billion rounds.

As per the other thread... Show me proof that they actually purchased this much versus just signed a multi-year contract action with a high ceiling that may even be correlated to dollars, not numbers, which were falsely extrapolated.

I havent checked but Im glad if availability is back. Im neither a hoarder/end of the world type, nor am I as keen on just-in-time ammo as I used to be given the shortages... What I had is almost gone, so time to stock up on a trip to Delaware (tax free)...

Also DHS isn't buying all calibers. They're buying .40? Well that doesn't really explain why we can't find ammo of ANY caliber, including 12ga 00 buck...

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Also DHS isn't buying all calibers. They're buying .40? Well that doesn't really explain why we can't find ammo of ANY caliber, including 12ga 00 buck...

Ammo Hoarders ... only takes a hand full in every location to buy up everything that hits the shelves.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
I found some Federal Match 9mm for $13 OTD limit 1 per day. There's plenty of 40 S&W in my area, .22, 9mm, 380, 45 acp and .223 are almost impossible.

Where in Michigan are you?

If there is finite brass, primer, powder, lead supply, then production may be shifted to something in lieu of something else...

@HM12460
Port Huron area. Federal Match MCSWC hasn't been made for some years so I guess this shop must of gotten a hold of NOS somewhere. It shoots real nice, other than that this side of the state is real dry on .22, 380, 9mm, 223, 45acp, I see 40 S&W everywhere.

Last edited:
Yet another reason to learn to reload. While everyone was running around, searching high and low for ammo, I went to my "happy place" and made my own. I was able to find all of the components when the shelves were empty of factory ammo. Prices on components are up a bit, but not like the ammo prices I've seen online. The other cool factor is that I can tailor-make what I want whenever I need more. I personally don't believe in keeping thousands of rounds worth of components, but 1K of components will keep a casual shooter stocked adequately for months. One of the many nice things about Delaware is no pesky sales tax!

Originally Posted By: zerosoma
. I don't know what's around the bend and want to make sure my family is protected.

how many firefights do you figure you're going to live through?

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
. I don't know what's around the bend and want to make sure my family is protected.

banana2.gif
I'm invincible!
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Cubey
The bigger the guns, the smaller the brains .. and other body parts.

I thought it was "The bigger the truck...the smaller the...", but I could be wrong...

That's the way it is here! See the lifted crew cab truck and out comes the 5'-2" guy!

Many many more than someone who is unarmed

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
When's your hoarding gonna stop.
smile.gif

I assume you're talking to me? lol.

I admit I am hoarding a little. But some guys come in and clear the shelves...I've seen it myself. I don't take everything and will usually leave some for the next guy (per my original post). Do I have a compulsion to buy ammo? Yes. Is it fear? Perhaps. I don't know what's around the bend and want to make sure my family is protected. Of course that's in the minds of every other sensible gun owner around. The unsensible ones are the ones who clear the shelves and resell it for profit. Those guys are total losers.

I could be called a hoarder as I have over 6,000 rds of my favorite ammo in various calibers etc from rimfire to 12g. I do it for convenience mostly. Having young kids, time for hobbies is short. A quick trip out for target shooting, plinking or trap shooting is a bust if I don't have the ammo to do it. That extra 20-30 minutes to get it can wipe out the possibility of going at all.

Plus, is it hoarding if you know you're going to use it? The stuff doesn't really go bad in average consumption. It doesn't lose value if you sell the gun in that chambering and want to sell your stockpile for it. In fact, my observation is that it goes up in value over time. It's a heck of a lot less risky than buying gold. In the event of a fiancial disaster and all that might ensue, it's easier to sell and more useful than gold (or a piece of paper that says you own gold). In the event everything works out OK in the world, it won't lose value like gold will (no real downward volatity). In that scenario and environment, I'll probably be able to continue to afford to pursue my shooting hobby, so I'm going to shoot it and re-supply any way.

That being the case, it it's a decent place in my mind to put some of my money.

Ammo Hoarders ... only takes a hand full in every location to buy up everything that hits the shelves.
Is it OK to hoard motor oil? I did see figures once upon a time on how much extra gas would be required if everybody kept their tanks full all the time. Lots.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

Is it OK to hoard motor oil? I did see figures once upon a time on how much extra gas would be required if everybody kept their tanks full all the time. Lots.

I hoarded german castrol if you consider 44L as a hoard. I've just I will use my last 2L in about 10k km and it costs $3 more per L than what I paid a few years ago. Its value appreciated more than my portfolio did in that time (sadly), and I've saved 5 trips to the store to buy oil.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut

so you have some kind of fantasy about mowing down a bunch of unarmed people until you're knee deep in brass?

so you have some kind of fantasy about mowing down a bunch of unarmed people until you're knee deep in brass?

yes, we are sick, aren't we?

Really? How did you get that out of my post? I simply want to have the ability to stop a bad guy with a gun if the need arises. If you do not then fine, that is the great thing about America. I can do what I want....until the Government tells me I can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back