American OCI vs. Europeon OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
What the heck is going on folks? How come across the ocean they treat a engine differenly from us. You would think all of us using synthetics, it be the same all over the world.

They are not living with a government that forces its citizens to use more oil via institutions that promote low mileage OCIs and sub-par oil performance via the API.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
They are not living with a government that forces its citizens to use more oil via institutions that promote low mileage OCIs and sub-par oil performance via the API.

Wait, what?

they dont force people to use lower quality oil so they can sell their idea of 3000 mile oci's or you will turn your engine into a paperweight

What the [censored] are you talking about?? If anything it is the Oil co's that have too much influence on our vehicle industry. The API is not a government agency the last time I checked. I hope you were being sarcastic.

I don't think otc Groupe II+ and III "dino" oils are exactly going to gum up an engine just because it's European, HD oils especially.

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Different fuel and engine management programming.

They are also not using API oils.

Oz had 10,000km oil changes on SF, SG, and SH 20W-50 oils for just about ever.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

FYI...10,000 km = ~6,200 miles Nothing special there.

Very simple. Europeans are willing to spend money for real quality. Americans don't recognize quality and prefer quantity over quality. I know, oversimplified. Their lubes are made to higher standards and they pay for them. They scoff at the idea of 3000 mile or 3 month oil changes, and most uninformed Americans think that is auto gospel, but it has to be with cheap oil.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Very simple. Europeans are willing to spend money for real quality. Americans don't recognize quality and prefer quantity over quality. I know, oversimplified. Their lubes are made to higher standards and they pay for them. They scoff at the idea of 3000 mile or 3 month oil changes, and most uninformed Americans think that is auto gospel, but it has to be with cheap oil.

Americans will still spend big $$$ on Euro spec and still change it at 5k mile OCI's.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1

What the [censored] are you talking about?? If anything it is the Oil co's that have too much influence on our vehicle industry. The API is not a government agency the last time I checked. I hope you were being sarcastic.

Thought I'd add to the fear mongering
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: Shannow

FYI...10,000 km = ~6,200 miles Nothing special there.

FYI...I know !!!

Which decade did 6211.18 (which should be fractionated to 6211 and 100/555) mile oil changes become pase in the US ?

Originally Posted By: cryption
Fuel. The biggie is fuel. Our fuel is much harder on oil so we need to change it more frequently.

So what's wrong with American gasoline? I've heard people say that so many times but I've never seen any hard evidence for it. I'm skeptical of this claim.

I don't really get this.

I knew of people in other parts of the world who were shocked when I said Mercedes used to have 13,000 mile OCI intervals here in the U.S.

They said it was only about 9-10k mi equivalent there.

Of course, now MBUSA has adjusted it to match rest of world.

I don't think European intervals are much longer.

I know oil color isnt supposed to mean much ( I wonder about that) but my wife`s C-280 oil is very black right now. Has about 9k on the oil.

Gasoline in Europe is very low sulfur, gas in the USA is not nearly so. See here.

When gas and ethanol is combusted one of the major chemicals produced is water. This water can react with the sulfur in the gasoline to produce sulfuric acid, part of which is washed into the oil. The acidic neutralizing buffers in the oils are then used up quicker, and the TBN drops faster necessitating more frequent oil changes.

To change to thinking about diesel fuel, this is one reason why the new ULS diesel fuels were needed before the low ash oils with their lower TBN's could be used to protect the new particulate filters. High sulfur diesel fuels would deplete the TBN's of these low ash oils too quickly. This is also why Mercedes and BMW back off recommending the use of low ash oils in gasoline cars in the USA and having these oils only used in their diesel cars.

That's my take on it, but it may be that I'm completely mistaken.

Rumple

I would guess american cars have to run much richer fuel ratios than the europeans which leads back to what rumple just posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back