AMD sepron processors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine is looking at a Compaq desktop (windows 7) with a 2.3 Ghz (i think) AMD sempron processor...the package comes with a 18" wide screen monitor and a color printer...

i haven't heard much about those processors...our old desktop, bought in 2002, has a AMD Athlon processor, and that desktop still works, but we don't use it since we got the laptops...

so, anything specially good/bad about the AMD sempron processor?

Thanks.

I think this is what he was looking at:

* Compaq Presario Desktop with AMD Sempron™ Processor
* Power cord
* USB keyboard and optical mouse
* Software: Microsoft Works 9; Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe and more
* Owner's manual

Product Features

* AMD Sempron™ LE-1300* processor
Features 2.3GHz processor speed and 1600MHz system bus.
* 2GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM
For multitasking power, expandable to 4GB.
* Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; supports DVD-RAM and LightScribe direct-disc labels using compatible LightScribe media.
* 512KB L2 cache memory
For efficient system processing.
* 250GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
For fast read/write times.
* NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics
Features up to 895MB video memory for lush images with stunning detail.
* See the benefits of an NVIDIA graphics processor in your desktop.
* 6 high-speed USB 2.0 ports
For easy peripheral connectivity.
* Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet networking interface
For simple wired connectivity.
* Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit operating system preinstalled
Provides a stable computing platform.
* Software package included
With Microsoft Works 9, Cyberlink DVD Suite Deluxe and more. 60-day trial version of Microsoft Office Home and Student 2007 also included.

It is a very basic machine. However, with about 50-60 dollars in upgrades it could be made better.

I bet it has 2 slots for RAM, with 1gb sticks in each slot. You will want to throw out that ram and buy 2 2gb sticks to max out the system.

Then I would go out and buy ANY PCI express video card to offload the system from using system ram for video.

Shop around newegg, should be 50-60 bucks for both items and it would make a world of difference.

When you get it, plan on spending an hour at least removing all the adware.

Good advice, Justin; I pretty much told him similar stuff
...he's still trying to decide... although he just wants to use internet for emailing (he's upgrading from a VERY old desktop that had Win Me i think), and Idk if he needs 4GB RAM for what he does.
i told him that he can increase the RAM anyway...if he wants to.
I will also mention the PCI express video card; although i highly doubt that he knows what a "video card" is...

as you can see, for someone with his needs and knowledge, coming from that relic, that Compaq is gonna be the bomb !!!
(he said that package is $360 or so, looks like it's worth it)

I might check it out if he buys it, just to see how windows 7 looks/feels like..I've never worked with win 7

someday soon we might think of a desktop again, too..esp. if we move to a new place...for now, the our 2 Lenovo lappies keep us content.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
What are you trying to do with this computer? How much was this unit? Do you have a link?

It's not for me - I don't need a desktop right now. A friend who's upgrading asked me about it.
about his needs, please see my reply to JustinH, i wrote a bit about his requirements.

from his description, i suspect it's this one, but i am not 100% sure:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+CQ5205Y+Desktop+with+AMD+Sempron%26%238482%3B+Processor+%26+18.5%22+LCD+Monitor/9999120800050000.p?id=pcmprd120900050000&skuId=9999120800050000

Semprons are to AMD as Celeron is to Intel. The newer Socket AM2/AM2+/AM3 are basically single-core Athlon LEs without AMD-VT enabled and 1/2 the L2 cache.

Intel is shipping the new Celeron E3/E4 as Core 2 Duos with less cache but with everything else enabled.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
thanks...
soooo...that means the Semprons are not top of the line, but not junk either?

The Semprons run cool, it's the least power hungry CPU. The speed is fast enough for everyday usage. More load going into the CPU hotter it becomes.

Also if you purchase a video card which I would because that will give your computer a greater performance boost. Go with the lower end such as Geforce 8400 GS low profile. Your power supply must be on the lower end. The video card will give you a good performance gain over added memory.

Fine for email and internet browsing.
Not good for hardcore gaming.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
That PC with the Sempron CPU is not something he'll want to use for the long haul. It's slow. Sure, it's power efficient, but how slow is he willing to go to have the cheapest PC on the block?

For somewhat more, I suggest going with something that has the AMD Athlon II X2 CPU, such as these for example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883109035

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883103232

Yes the Sempron is outdated but still presently is not a problem with added video card and extra memory. For the price package a computer with a 18" monitor and printer is an eye catcher for an unknowing consumer.

I always do wonder if the parts are ready to fall off the cliff after the warranty is over. Just a rule of thumb for me anyways is you pay for what you get. $500 is about the right price for a good practical desktop.

I've been using a Sempron for about 3 years now, I'm quite happy with it. I'm not sure I'd buy one if I was looking today since they are getting outclassed, but if your needs are fairly modest it'll do the job. It does pretty well for gaming by my standards, though I generally play games that're a few years old.

That sempron's a fine chip for the purpose. Pair it with a couple gigs of ram and pretty much anything in the way of a graphics card and you'll be surfing the internet for another 5 years. Only thing I don't go cheap on for a machine like this is the hard disk.

I'd pass on it unless it was free.. you dont need more than 2 GB of ram with w7 or xp.

if it has vista then 4gb is better.

you dont need a new video card to browse the internet..
Just keep the built in one.

It's a fine machine if it is going to be used for music, internet, word processing etc.

I am on a 7 year old HP desktop with an AMD XP 2.0ghz with 1gb ram and a 160gb hard drive and I do all the above without any speed issues running windows xp.

All that being said, I wouldn't pay more than $300 for it.... Maybe $400 for the monitor included.

My best advice is to go to the dell outlet. They come with full warranty and most of them are simply returned unopened desktops sold cheap. I know people who've bought laptops/desktops off there and they didn't have a fingerprint on them.

My boss just got a new laptop from the dell outlet and it came sealed in the original box for $150 cheaper than new.

The inventory list tells you if it was returned unopened, refurbished or has a scratch/dent.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back