AmazonBasics 5W30 High Mileage, 5032 miles, Ford 3.7 liter Duratec, Lincoln MKT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2019 Lincoln MKT
Engine: Ford 3.7 liter V6 Duratec
Oil: Amazon Basics 5W30 High Mileage Full Synthetic
Miles on oil: 5032

Notes: Accidentally put down SuperTech on lab report when its Amazon Basics. Its the same oil made by Warren Distributing.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The following were the other oils in the report:

9/26/2019 Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 with BG MOA

10/17/2019 Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series

1/17/2020 Amazon Basics (Warren) 5W40 Euro

I hope no one gets the wrong idea and thinks that in general it doesnt matter what oil you use. This engine in particular it doesnt seem to matter, but in another engine it might matter like a turbo engine.

One thing I might note is the thicker oils seem to cut the noise in the engine. The engine seems more refined with a thicker oil. That might be the only difference here

Last edited:
While some engines are somewhat finicky about lube, most in fact are not. This Duratec 3.5/3.7 engine series is not at all picky about brand/grade of lube; they pretty much wear easily regardless what's in the crankcase (within reason, of course). If not for the internal water pump, these would be 400k-mile+ engines easily.

As for wear, this engine is right in line with expectations for the exposure.

Curious why the short OFCI? These have IOLMs; what did it indicate? My 3.5L Taurus is typically around 10k miles for an OFCI. Did it indicate a change or was this premature on purpose?

Last edited:
Well, Im simply stuck on the 5000 mile interval for my own reasons. One reason is I had a Toyota in the distant past which engine had failed as a result of sludging. Another reason is the severe service interval in the past was 5000 miles and that interval seemed to work. Lastly oil is not that expensive and so why not...better to error on the side of caution and this is a work vehicle.

So if it matters or not Im more confident changing it at 5000 miles. I know others here have a different opinion about that issue and they might be correct...the fact is Im more comfortable not changing what has worked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spector
why the HM oil on an engine with 44,000 miles?

Maybe it was on sale it isn't gong to hurt a thing. I've ran HM on sale oil in the Corolla since 60K miles.
But that may not be all good it still uses a half quart or less in OCI as long as 7154.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Imagine that, another home run for Warren.

There's a phrase you don't hear very often.

Originally Posted by Navi
Well, Im simply stuck on the 5000 mile interval for my own reasons. One reason is I had a Toyota in the distant past which engine had failed as a result of sludging. Another reason is the severe service interval in the past was 5000 miles and that interval seemed to work. Lastly oil is not that expensive and so why not...better to error on the side of caution and this is a work vehicle.

So if it matters or not I'm more confident changing it at 5000 miles. I know others here have a different opinion about that issue and they might be correct...the fact is Im more comfortable not changing what has worked.

If i'm reading this right, you are putting on 5k miles per month and changing oil monthly.

That is wasting resources.

No Home run for Warren, on that interval.

Do 10 - 15K min interval

But Now see you use this for Livery. Still maybe 3 months interval with a solid synthetic like that M1 TDT or RT6 you should have no problem.

Last edited:
One thing I might note is the thicker oils seem to cut the noise in the engine. The engine seems more refined with a thicker oil. That might be the only difference here[/quote]

I agree with you on that. Spouse had an Edge with the 3.5 NA and there was a noticeable difference in valve train noise switching from 5w20 to 10w30.

If oil makers insist HM oils won't hurt young engines, then why don't they change the name of the oil to Any Mileage Oil.......... or Whenever Mileage Oil....... or Young Mileage Oil?
If the oil can be used low mileage, then eliminate the name 'high mileage oil".

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If oil makers insist HM oils won't hurt young engines, then why don't they change the name of the oil to Any Mileage Oil.......... or Whenever Mileage Oil....... or Young Mileage Oil?
If the oil can be used low mileage, then eliminate the name 'high mileage oil".

Rather than random unfounded speculation, if the HM oil is API licensed then it has to pass the same elastomer compatibility tests in ASTM D471, D2240 and D412 as does a non-HM oil.

Unless you can come up with some other mechanism by which the API licensed oil can "hurt young engines."

Originally Posted by Navi

So if it matters or not Im more confident changing it at 5000 miles. I know others here have a different opinion about that issue and they might be correct...the fact is Im more comfortable not changing what has worked.

I'm with you on sticking to 5k miles. The olm in my 05 Silverado work truck goes off before that anyway with all the idling for heat or ac. Less than 3k miles in the winter. Close to 5k in the summer depending on trips. It was using conventional bulk oil for the first 192k miles, now I bought it and want to get another 5 years out of it so I'm switching to synthetic and I can maybe go slightly longer than the olm (it does get 2qts of top up now - between seeping rear main seal and valve seals).

I don't think GIII or IV synthetics have been shown to exhibit less engine wear.

Other than farcical, meaningless "vacuum salesman" lubricant "tests".

When I ordered the oil I accidentally got high mileage oil. I didnt think much of it and just ran it. It seemed to work out fine. In any event the way I put miles on this its going to be at high miles in the future.

The downfall of this engine is the water pump issue...but that isnt an issue until over 150k+ miles and maybe you can extend the life with coolant changes per the maintenance schedule. The othet downfall is bad gas mpg. The MKT gets SUV...truck like mpg... Besides those two issues its a great tough engine. Use any oil you like...it wears well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gasbuggy
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Imagine that, another home run for Warren.

There's a phrase you don't hear very often.

The most recent two or three UOA's from Supertech, Amazon or Kirkland have been fantastic and always have wear metals well below average for the mileage.

To be fair...this engine doesnt really challenge engine oil. A better test for Warren would be turbo direct injected engine. T

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back