Amalie Elixer Synthetic 0w-40 / 4816 mi. / 2015 Kia Sedona 3.3L GDI

Vehicle is a 2015 Kia Sedona with 41K miles. Wife and I bought it in June 2020 @ 28k miles, so it apparently wasn't used much when new w/ previous owners and it's not really a daily driver for us either-- just a runaround van to take our 4 kids around when we need to, and for long-distance family vacations.

This is the first GDI engine/vehicle I've owned, and due to short trips / sometimes infrequent use, I thought it would be prudent to send in a UOA to Blackstone inquiring about extended drains. I believe the owners manual recommends 3750mi severe and 7500 normal intervals, so I opted to go right in the middle.

Oil used was Amalie Elixer Synthetic 0w-40, SN rated (produced in late 2020 according to date code). Manual recommends an A5 rated 5w-30 for all conditions, I went with something a bit thicker because its use was primarily in mid-summer, and we had a long road trip this summer. Think I went from late June to mid December on this oil. Filter used was a Fram Ultra / Extended or whatever they call it, the one with the white media (cartridge filter).

My initial thoughts are that wear metals are far lower than any other UOA I've had done, on any vehicle. The fuel dilution concerns me a bit though and has me wondering if I should stick with a thicker grade, at least in summertime. The oil also thinned a good bit, I think into the range of a 30-weight? I made sure to take the van on a good long ride before sampling. Also additive pack on the oil seems a bit weak (compared to others I've seen) but doesn't seem to have affected performance any.

Thoughts / suggestions / opinions all welcome.

Attachments

• uoa_kia.jpg
    uoa_kia.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 196
Engine seems to be just fine with it. Thinned a bit but 9.6cst is still ok. So how much does that 0w-40 cost.

Engine seems to be just fine with it. Thinned a bit but 9.6cst is still ok. So how much does that 0w-40 cost.
At the time I bought it, it was about $5 per quart on Amazon. Way more than I like to pay for synthetic oil, but at the time I couldn't find any 0w/5w-40 on sale or clearance

At the time I bought it, it was about $5 per quart on Amazon. Way more than I like to pay for synthetic oil, but at the time I couldn't find any 0w/5w-40 on sale or clearance
Ah. Well castrol 0/5w-40 is down to $21-22 on wm.com and m1 fs 5w-40 is $22-23. Just under 5 a quart.

Looks like kind of a plain SP rated 0W-40 doesn't stick out to me that it's supposed to be a Euro Full SAPS oil, maybe try Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 in the future, it's a heavier 30 grade and it's Euro mid-SAPS so it might be nicer on the valves in the long run in a GDI engine. Also Edge LL 5W30 or Edge C3 if they ever are back in stock at a reasonable price.

Looks like kind of a plain SP rated 0W-40 doesn't stick out to me that it's supposed to be a Euro Full SAPS oil, maybe try Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 in the future, it's a heavier 30 grade and it's Euro mid-SAPS so it might be nicer on the valves in the long run in a GDI engine. Also Edge LL 5W30 or Edge C3 if they ever are back in stock at a reasonable price.
Best thing for these GDI engines valves is to clean them every 10-20k.

FWIW Castrol Edge 5W-30LL is back in stock on Walmart.com and is still on rollback.

And exactly how would one accomplish this………?
10-20k is a bit much. But those intake hook spray cleaners work best. but if anyone is worried about carboning engine they should install a nice high capacity catch can and go to sleep.

Ah. Well castrol 0/5w-40 is down to $21-22 on wm.com and m1 fs 5w-40 is $22-23. Just under 5 a quart.
Probably a wash cost-wise, given that Amalie is packaged in 12 quart cases, which is perfect for this application = 2 oil changes right on the money. I don't have a problem with 5qt jugs, but unless I buy several of them, I'm left with some orphan oil left over that ends up sitting on a shelf till I get tired of looking at it, then dump it in the mowers.

I'm interested in trying the Castrol 5w-30 LL, but though it appears in stock at Walmart, it gives me a not in stock notification when I go to add it into the cart. How does the M1 FS 5w-40 compare to their 0w-40? Ideally I'm looking for a heavy 30-weight or even 40 weight for summer (A3 or C3 rated) that is low-mid SAPS.

Back