Am I stuck in the past?- Ethanol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most problems I see with small engines are caused by ethanol gumming up the carberator. That's one of the main reason I don't like it.

-T

While I would prefer to run conventional grade gasoline in my 2 cycle engines, the reformulated blend with ethanol gas, required in the southeastern Wisconsin counties, works OK.

The only problem appears to be storage related, as oxygenated gasolines are reported to form gums quickly. This leads to carburetor problems & more cylinder deposits.

A good practice is to only mix a gallon or less of 2 cycle gas/oil & use it up within 30 days to avoid the storage problems.

SAME in NY, all gas is 10% ethanol.

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:

quote:

I feel cheap and dirty whenever I try it.

Some people like that sort of thing
cool.gif

California requires oxygenated fuel and recently outlawed MTBE, so ethanol blended fuel is the rule here now.

Millions of Hondas and Acuras are running very well indeed on the stuff.

Don't worry about it!

John

Alcohol has about 1/2 the BTUs of gasoline. [by volume]
So 10% alcohol equates to a 5% reduction in power/mileage. But, there are oxygenates in the alcohol which make it burn more efficiently, about a 3% increase.
Still, a net loss of mileage - about what people are reporting.
New studies show that corn for alcohol for fuel is a tremendous waste of corn, which could be used for food products or other derivatives.

I've noticed no difference in either mileage or performance using E10 compared to straight gasoline. My car seems to like it, though it seems I do need to run higher octane rated E10 to achieve the same level of knock supression as I do with straight gas. Unscientific scans showed 91 octane E10 has the same anti-knock abilities as 89 octane straight gasoline. 89 octane E10 is roughly equal to 87 regular gas in this respect also, so even though it seems like you're getting "free" octane when 89 E10 is the same price as 87 regular, there's really not much difference as far as how the engine reacts to it.

I'd love to see some scans and fuel mileage records comparing E85 to regular gasoline in a Flex Fuel vehicle like a Chevy Tahoe or Ford Taurus. Especially some scan logs where someone really flogged it and see what kind of KR numbers that E85 chalks up with an octane rating of 100+.
Anyone got a flex fuel vehicle and an AutoTap or similar scan tool that would be interested in such a study?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back