Aluminum Floor Jack recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had to change a flat tire along the road on my wife's Genesis Coupe. Before I left home I grabbed my floor jack, air tank, a 1/2 ratchet, extension, and correct size socket for the lug nuts. I didn't want to have to fiddle with the scissor jack, etc... Of course my floor jack wouldn't fit under the car with a flat.
So I'm looking for recommendations for an aluminum low profile floor jack. What does the collective knowledge here recommend? I'll have to take some measurements to see how low it would need to be.

they are all hit or miss,some work great and some die
I got mine at Costco because they have a better warranty than most tool stores
and its been great..

I posted a review of the HF aluminum jack a few years back. Is it great? No. Is it the "undisputed king of the garage" as they claim and they paid some magazine to state in a comparison? No.

But it's as light as I think you'll find, more compact in size than some others, and works decent.

A quick search will find a coupon for it for $68.99 right now.

You can find some great quality US and European steel jacks, but Aluminum seems tougher to me to find.

Would the scissor Jack fit under with a flat? I'd assume yes, but you never know.

I bought the 1.5 ton aluminum jack at Home Depot when it was on sale for about $50.

It looks exactly the same as the HF one with some different stickers/paint.

I recently bought an Arcan ALJ2T, bought a damaged box model on Amazon for $162, which I thought was a deal. I don't know what other vehicles you have, but if they're a little taller, it might be nice to have enough lift height to not need additional wood underneath. The Arcan and HF 1.5 ton both has a minimum 3.5" height, but the Arcan goes up to 19.25" vs. 14.125" for the HF.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00132CGEW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's just for occasional road side repair, the Arcan and the other HF non-compact models are probably too big. I would just get a 1.5 ton Compact aluminum (like the HF mode - don't forget a coupon).

I have no experience with the HF 1.5 ton aluminum jack mentioned here. Just for kicks thought I'd look to see if I had any coupons for said jack. Found a few coupons from a Parade magazine and weekly Sunday newspaper coupons, $60. I don't need a jack, but for that money if serious I'd have to give it a look. Sure I've wasted that much on something far less useful at some point in my life. Even if just to put in back of vehicle for emergency, seems worth that.

I've been happy with my HF 1.5 ton aluminum jack. If you aren't in a hurry, wait for a 25% off coupon.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
I've been happy with my HF 1.5 ton aluminum jack. If you aren't in a hurry, wait for a 25% off coupon.

The problem with 20% off coupon is it can't be used with other coupon(s).

Quote:

25% and 20% off coupons I have now and have seen say, cannot be used with floor jacks, among other items.

$60 (59.99) coupons for 1.5 ton jack are dedicated coupons. There's also one for $70 too.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I posted a review of the HF aluminum jack a few years back. Is it great? No. Is it the "undisputed king of the garage" as they claim and they paid some magazine to state in a comparison? No.

But it's as light as I think you'll find, more compact in size than some others, and works decent.

You can find some great quality US and European steel jacks, but Aluminum seems tougher to me to find.

Would the scissor Jack fit under with a flat? I'd assume yes, but you never know.

I am very surprised to see you mention HF as a consideration.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Please find me a US or at least first world Aluminum Jack that is remotely available... Perhaps some digging will find one, I didn't. I have a US made steel Jack that I find most trustworthy. In a pinch, that HF Jack is indeed handy.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad

Please find me a US or at least first world Aluminum Jack that is remotely available... Perhaps some digging will find one, I didn't. I have a US made steel Jack that I find most trustworthy. In a pinch, that HF Jack is indeed handy.

If you can't beat them, join them I guess? You just seen to bash on HF any chance you get which is why I was surprised to see you mention them.

Personally, if I disliked a store so much and there wasn't an option available that fit my needs (in this case, a USA made aluminum jack), I'd change my needs a bit. A USA made steel jack being the case here.

You are correct. HF does make some pretty handy tools that are great in a pinch. Go there buying a $1.99 set of drill bits and I am afraid you'd end up highly disappointed though.

Yeah, that's why I have a US made steel jack. I do borrow the light HF jack from a neighbor on occasion. But I won't buy one. So no joining anyone. Not sure what you're trying to do with your discussion.

A friend owns a repair shop and bought an aluminum jack from HF at least 10 years ago. He uses it a lot and has never had a problem with it.

Got a flat tire on the Interstate today. After changing the tire in the heat (98) with all the traffic speeding by, was thinking the HF jack would have come in very handy rather than using the scissors jack. I know it would have sped up the process significantly. Might have to take a look at the HF myself.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Got a flat tire on the Interstate today. After changing the tire in the heat (98) with all the traffic speeding by, was thinking the HF jack would have come in very handy rather than using the scissors jack. I know it would have sped up the process significantly. Might have to take a look at the HF myself.

While you're at HF, pick up a cheap 18" breaker bar and socket that fits your vehicle's lug nuts. It saves a good deal of time in a tire replacement too.

A little update. I bought an aluminum 1.5 ton at Rual King last night, it was on sale. I think it's going back. The only part that is aluminum are the side plates. I understand that HF has implemented the same cost cutting strategy. This won't be my main shop jack, mainly for small jobs and emergency's, which is why I want it to be as light as possible.

Just so you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back