Altimax RT43’s vs. Yokohama Avid Ascend LX

To be honest I have not been keeping up with the activity on the tire forum so sorry in advance if my question seems repetitive. With all of the spring rebates available, I was thinking of pulling the trigger on some new tires.

2012 Subaru Legacy (AWD) – This car has a few mods, and I am running 18-inch wheels with 225/45/18 VR Altimax RT43’s. These tires have about 44,000 miles on them and they are down to about 4/32nds. (supposed to be 65,000-mile tire) So, they are due to be replaced soon. Looking for a decent all-season tire that has better than average winter performance. Was considering the Altimax RT43’s again, but I am also looking at the Yokohama Avid Ascend LX.

Also, my car has the tire pressure monitor light on, where is the best place to get replacement monitors?

Open to suggestions and recommendations.

TIA

Reactions: CKN
Based on the information you posted-you are going to get fairly close to the stated tread life of the tire. Seems like at least another 10,000 miles is doable. So-it's 55,000 miles on a tire that the manufacturer states 65,000.00.

What's the problem?

I have V speed rated Avid Ascend GTs on our Outback and drove them in ~6" of snow this past winter and they did great in snow and slush. I think if you want better snow traction the Ascend GT would be the more comparable tire to the RT43. The LX is a more mileage focused middle of the pack tire from how Yokohoma is pitching it.

I like the Atimax RT43s but don't have any experience with the Yokohama. I am on my third set on my Focus. As for the tire pressure sensor, I would just have it replaced when they change your tires. You will need to remove the tire to install a new one anyway.

I have V speed rated Avid Ascend GTs on our Outback and drove them in ~6" of snow this past winter and they did great in snow and slush. I think if you want better snow traction the Ascend GT would be the more comparable tire to the RT43. The LX is a more mileage focused middle of the pack tire from how Yokohoma is pitching it.
Same here, have the GT's on my Accord and, while they ride a bit soft, I like them quite a bit. No complaints whatsoever about noise or wet weather traction. No real snow experience with them though.

Per consumer reports the stated mileage warranty is if you drive down the 2/32", so it would seem you're getting reasonably close to that estimate.

Based on another tire size it seems like they are pretty close options.
So, if you are satisfied with the Altimax I would stick with those.

The tread on the Yoko seems like it would have the advantage on snow. Slightly better siping than the General. I would go with the Yoko.

Plus, my previous experience with the original Altimax RT on snow was horrendous. Worst "all-season" tire I have ever had.

If winter performance is important, and you're not using separate tires for the winter, consider 3-peak all-season tires, such as:
Nokian WRG4
Toyo Celsius
Vredestein Quatrac 5
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Kumho Solus HA71 or HA72
Milestar AW365
Michelin CrossClimate

Ebay is the best place to get the TPMS because they have the best prices. Sometimes, Rock Auto has good prices on them, too.

Had the RT43 on a Lexus RX300 AWD and they did awesome in the winter. My SIL just put the RT43 on her GMC Terrain AWD(4 cylinder) and again, they did awesome in this past winter even though we were blessed with a mild winter. I have them now on my daughter's Civic in my signature but, this car will possibly/only see the beginning of winter prior to swapping to the AltiMAX Arctics.

2012 Subaru Legacy (AWD) –

Also, my car has the tire pressure monitor light on, where is the best place to get replacement monitors?
Independent of which you select, Subaru are very sensitive to different size (even slightly) tires. I don't know if they use sensors (I don't THINK so) or monitor RPM to detect low pressure. I'd worry a little and seek knowledgeable advice.

Back