Rt43 Altimax at 55k

The tires were T rated and fortunately a relatively inexpensive size: 215/65R17

I love CrossClimate2 on my 2015 Pilot but not sure on longevity as wife drives about 25k/year. I am thinking RT45 will last a long time with reasonable winter traction. She is an expert winter driver .
Doesn’t VW specify an H speed rating on that Tiguan?

Subpar dry grip with extremely soft sidewalls but not the NVH to match. I'd at least expect the NVH to match the touring-levels of grip which was not the case. Wet grip was bad as well. I didn't use these in the snow; I had General Altimax Arctics for the snow which I hated those as well.
My wife's Santa Fe is AWD. The RT43s did about as well as a good all season tire can.

Last edited:
Subpar dry grip with extremely soft sidewalls but not the NVH to match. I'd at least expect the NVH to match the touring-levels of grip which was not the case. Wet grip was bad as well. I didn't use these in the snow; I had General Altimax Arctics for the snow which I hated those as well.
Were those T ? The T's have thinner sidewall than the H or V . Tread is a bit different as well . T sipes start shallow on outer edge and get deeper to center of tire , the H are opposite .

Were those T ? The T's have thinner sidewall than the H or V . Tread is a bit different as well . T sipes start shallow on outer edge and get deeper to center of tire , the H are opposite .

They were the V. I just checked on tirerack and holy crap have tire prices gone up like crazy! The prices are double what they used to be pre-CV19.

Sorry for the bump but seemed better than making a new thread. Just curious what tires you prefer?

I’m looking for quiet comfortable tires for a 2013 Acura TL FWD I bought last November.

I do have unmounted Blizzaks and a second set of wheels. I was planning to run a winter set here in MN. I’m not fully committed to it. If I don’t, pretty sure I’d go right to the CC2 or WeatherReadys. If I do, I still want all seasons.

I saw a deal for 225/55R17 RT43’s T-rated for $107 so I snapped them up. I was originally planning to get Defender 2’s (car currently has 77k on Defender LTX’s) but it took me 14 years to put 100k on my last car…and the RT43’s are half price…

The tires were T rated and fortunately a relatively inexpensive size: 215/65R17

I love CrossClimate2 on my 2015 Pilot but not sure on longevity as wife drives about 25k/year. I am thinking RT45 will last a long time with reasonable winter traction. She is an expert winter driver .
What tire did you end up with? How does noise compare between CC2 & RT43? Are the CC2 as good as they say?

RT45 and very happy with them as a tire for a 30k/year vehicle. Not the best in deeper snow or heavy rain but work. Very quiet and handle decently in 90% of what driving conditions are.

Sorry for the bump but seemed better than making a new thread. Just curious what tires you prefer?

I look towards a very balanced dry/wet/NVH. Since having one category better will usually compromise the other, I'm willing to compromise too as long as the pros and cons will match (like having a 3-way see-saw.) Right now I'm running the Pirelli Scorpian Strada, which are the DTD version of the Scorpian Verde and compromises some snow traction for dry grip (I run winter tires so I'm fine with less snow performance.)

The RT43s were definitely better at their original price with the rest of the budget brands. A 215/55r17 was like $70-80/tire but they jumped up to over $100 which there were waaay better tires at that price.

I look towards a very balanced dry/wet/NVH. Since having one category better will usually compromise the other, I'm willing to compromise too as long as the pros and cons will match (like having a 3-way see-saw.) Right now I'm running the Pirelli Scorpian Strada, which are the DTD version of the Scorpian Verde and compromises some snow traction for dry grip (I run winter tires so I'm fine with less snow performance.)

The RT43s were definitely better at their original price with the rest of the budget brands. A 215/55r17 was like $70-80/tire but they jumped up to over $100 which there were waaay better tires at that price.
It’s pretty hard to figure out what’s a good tire. I paid $107 for these, seems like a bunch of junk up to about $150, then the Defender 2’s sitting at $205 (on sale at the end of the month for $170.

With paying $100 to have tires mounted, if the price is close, you may as well just get the better longer lasting tire, right?

I’m fine saving $70-$100 a tire, but why buy a $150 tire when Defenders can be had at $170? Ya know?

Anyway, just trying to figure out if these are a good buy at $107 or if I should get something else. Thanks.

It’s pretty hard to figure out what’s a good tire. I paid $107 for these, seems like a bunch of junk up to about $150, then the Defender 2’s sitting at $205 (on sale at the end of the month for $170.

With paying $100 to have tires mounted, if the price is close, you may as well just get the better longer lasting tire, right?

I’m fine saving $70-$100 a tire, but why buy a $150 tire when Defenders can be had at $170? Ya know?

Anyway, just trying to figure out if these are a good buy at $107 or if I should get something else. Thanks.

I just checked prices - I did not realize how ridiculously expensive tires have gotten. The Sumitomo HTR-Z P03 is $112 now when they used to be under $80 pre-CV19 for a 215-50r17.

Did you want to stay at 225/55r17s? Tirerack shows 245/50r17. Overall though, for the price you got the RT43s for is good. Considering the price other tires I'd compromise and be okay. The RT43s did last all of 70k miles for me but all the tires I've used have lasted at least their proclaimed mileage warranty.

I just noticed TR sells the Pirelli Cinturato Strada GT2 @ $121. Those are the DTD version of the Cinturato P7 A/S. I've used it before on the focus before and I liked it but like the rest of Pirelli's DTD-only lineups, they sacrifice snow traction for more dry (not an issue if you're do plan on usin those blizzaks.)

I just checked prices - I did not realize how ridiculously expensive tires have gotten. The Sumitomo HTR-Z P03 is $112 now when they used to be under $80 pre-CV19 for a 215-50r17.

Did you want to stay at 225/55r17s? Tirerack shows 245/50r17. Overall though, for the price you got the RT43s for is good. Considering the price other tires I'd compromise and be okay. The RT43s did last all of 70k miles for me but all the tires I've used have lasted at least their proclaimed mileage warranty.

I just noticed TR sells the Pirelli Cinturato Strada GT2 @ $121. Those are the DTD version of the Cinturato P7 A/S. I've used it before on the focus before and I liked it but like the rest of Pirelli's DTD-only lineups, they sacrifice snow traction for more dry (not an issue if you're do plan on usin those blizzaks.)
The 225/55R17 is same diameter as 245/50R17. I like the visual look of the 245’s but 225’s are cheaper and get better MPG so I was looking at those mostly.

Those GT2’s are only $22 more (total for the set of 4) than the RT43 but a note says they’re 2019 tires. There’s also very little TireRack info on them.

I was planning to run out the season on the Defenders I had, swap to the Blizzaks for winter and figure this all out by spring, but I picked up this little fella….only the bottom was flat but I still needed to swap it. :-D

Thankfully I just got back from a road trip where I checked the spare PSI (it was at 11) and still had the impact gun in the car.

C7700C65-E8F6-43BE-A865-9B70FFB0FAA7.jpeg

The 225/55R17 is same diameter as 245/50R17. I like the visual look of the 245’s but 225’s are cheaper and get better MPG so I was looking at those mostly.

Those GT2’s are only $22 more (total for the set of 4) than the RT43 but a note says they’re 2019 tires. There’s also very little TireRack info on them.

I was planning to run out the season on the Defenders I had, swap to the Blizzaks for winter and figure this all out by spring, but I picked up this little fella….only the bottom was flat but I still needed to swap it. :-D

Thankfully I just got back from a road trip where I checked the spare PSI (it was at 11) and still had the impact gun in the car.

View attachment 172706

Glad you got back safe. Direct Tire has more info on them since they're a Direct Tire exclusive but since they bought Tire rack, I figured it was only time until TR sells DT-only tires to. They're probably on sale because they're older or they're coming it with a new version. I averaged 35-40k miles in the focus yearly so i never worried about the age of the tires since they got changed out every year lol.

I never knew Defenders came in car size, I always assumed they were a truck/SUV size only tire. You might like the rt43s more.

Glad you got back safe. Direct Tire has more info on them since they're a Direct Tire exclusive but since they bought Tire rack, I figured it was only time until TR sells DT-only tires to. They're probably on sale because they're older or they're coming it with a new version. I averaged 35-40k miles in the focus yearly so i never worried about the age of the tires since they got changed out every year lol.

I never knew Defenders came in car size, I always assumed they were a truck/SUV size only tire. You might like the rt43s more.
It took me 14 years to put 100k on my old car. The ‘Defender LTX’ on my car are marketed as truck tires, I thought that was funny.

The new ‘Defender 2’ tires are advertised for cars too. They have 80k tread warranty. The RT43 T-rated has 75k.

The Sentury UHP tires on my last car were trash, scary in wet snd would bald themselves out in less than 10k. Before Discount Tire replaced #9&10 for free they gave me a full refund and I bought DWS06+’s and of course sold the car less than a year later…the experience with those Sentury tires has me extra nervous.

I just want a reliable quiet tire that won’t bald prematurely.

Reactions: Pew
Back