Rt43 Altimax at 55k

We installed the Altimax RT43 at 69k on wife’s 18 Tiguan. Now at 126k they are still quiet however rain performance is absolute garbage with hydroplaning etc. they are nearing wear bars however “replace” indicator has not appeared when worn enough.

No idea what is next tire (maybe RT45?) however think these will be awful in snow/winter conditions.

Great tire, I usually take off at 40k with 4/32 left. BUT. its not a snow tire! even if it was, its the first half the tread that matters most. I’ll only run rt43 in winter when nearly new.

I think General has some 365 tire now? could try that. That said… hit up CL and find some rims, never hurts to run snows in New Hampster.

I have a set on my car. In order to get even wear across the full width of the tire, I've had to bump the inflation up to 40PSI. At that pressure, they ride a little harsh on torn up roads, but I don't blame the tires for government corruption. On the freeway where the road conditions are better, they ride very nice.

It’s fairly well documented that wet performance degrades quickly below 4/32 - that’s why many of us replace tires at about that.

At 55k they have served you well, replace them.
Is that a general limit with most tires, or specific to the General RT43 that OP is running?

Is that a general limit with most tires, or specific to the General RT43 that OP is running?
General recomdation.

CR did a test a few years ago, took some name brand tires, shaved to 4/32 and tested wet braking against cheap Chinese tires. The cheap tires won.

Im sure YMMV and all, and i’ve taken my share to the wear bars, but i’ve always known that the performance would not be there while doing so.

I recently replaced a set of RT43's with a set of Hankook Kinergy ST. They don't seem quite as good in the rain as I remember the RT43's were when new, but close. They are definitely not as good in snow in ice.

I recently replaced a set of RT43's with a set of Hankook Kinergy ST. They don't seem quite as good in the rain as I remember the RT43's were when new, but close. They are definitely not as good in snow in ice.
Kinergy PT's are their best rain tire, I have a set. Also not great on snow and ice.

O.P. , were they T, H or V rated ? Have used the H since the introduction of the RT43 . I usually remove from use at 4/32s' or a bit less . The new recommended depth for replacement . Especially areas with ice , snow , slush , etc..

Last edited:
We installed the Altimax RT43 at 69k on wife’s 18 Tiguan. Now at 126k they are still quiet however rain performance is absolute garbage with hydroplaning etc. they are nearing wear bars however “replace” indicator has not appeared when worn enough.

No idea what is next tire (maybe RT45?) however think these will be awful in snow/winter conditions.
I got one quote so far on RT 45s. (235/60/18) $190.00 a piece. I think I can do better. My RT43's are at the wear bars at 35,000 miles. There is some edge wear as well that's not the tire's fault.

The tires were T rated and fortunately a relatively inexpensive size: 215/65R17

I love CrossClimate2 on my 2015 Pilot but not sure on longevity as wife drives about 25k/year. I am thinking RT45 will last a long time with reasonable winter traction. She is an expert winter driver .

Last edited:
I got one quote so far on RT 45s. (235/60/18) $190.00 a piece. I think I can do better. My RT43's are at the wear bars at 35,000 miles. There is some edge wear as well that's not the tire's fault.
Ouch, that's quick wear, even by my standards.

When I was shopping for tires recently, I recall being told the RT45's were a bit more costly than the RT43's (but the shop was able to find some 43's for me). Haven't decided if I will try 45's next time.

Ouch, that's quick wear, even by my standards.

When I was shopping for tires recently, I recall being told the RT45's were a bit more costly than the RT43's (but the shop was able to find some 43's for me). Haven't decided if I will try 45's next time.
The 45's (in my size) are the exact same price as the 43s on Tirerack.

The 45's (in my size) are the exact same price as the 43s on Tirerack.
Well, it was a couple months ago and I was dealing with a local shop, so, pricing is what it is, regional and time based. Anyhow, good luck. FWIW we did Conti's on the wife's hybrid, as she puts a high value on mpg, and, if they don't work for us, well, they'll be worn out in 2 years anyhow.

Reactions: CKN
I hated the RT43s. The only good things about them was hydroplane resistance and they lasted a long time which also meant I couldn't justify getting a new set until these were worn so I just suffered for the ~70k miles I got out of them.

I hated the RT43s. The only good things about them was hydroplane resistance and they lasted a long time which also meant I couldn't justify getting a new set until these were worn so I just suffered for the ~70k miles I got out of them.
What did you hate about them? Was it that they have touring class performance instead of being more performance oriented?

What did you hate about them? Was it that they have touring class performance instead of being more performance oriented?

Subpar dry grip with extremely soft sidewalls but not the NVH to match. I'd at least expect the NVH to match the touring-levels of grip which was not the case. Wet grip was bad as well. I didn't use these in the snow; I had General Altimax Arctics for the snow which I hated those as well.

Back