Alternator Died. Rebuild/Replace? Junkyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have time as I see you have 2 vehicles you could try briefly dunking it a few times in a pail of distilled water. Open it up to dry well, then spray with electrical cleaner as others have pointed out.
Keep us posted.

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
$13 for a junkyard alt? No question, go that route.

Me too. Bought good alternators from junkyards before. Make sure he guarantees it.

There are some pretty good YouTube videos of alternator rebuilding. I watched a video of a guy rebuilding a Bosch alternator like the one on my Dodge Ram. Replacing the regulator/brush assembly and one of bearings looked super easy, the other bearing was a bit more complicated. Probably could be done in an hour by a beginner. But on yours if you just cleaned it up and replaced the regulator/brush pack you would probably be back in business.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Pull the regulator/brush assembly and look at the commutator. It may be covered with crud and making bad connections. The regulator might be fried but fresh water does not do the damage salt water will and regulators/brush assemblies are not expensive. There's not much else a little fresh water can hurt. The diodes are pretty rugged. Remember, the unit operates in a water bath on a rainy day.

+1 for the above comment!

It's externally regulated, so there is no regulator. As long as it gets exited by the ECU, regulation, etc come from that.

Got it working last night! For now...

Flushed it on the bearing and brush end with some water. Then sprayed copius amounts of electronic cleaner on it (non conducting, non corrosive, not flammable). Started the Jeep up and it still wasn't working.

Then I tapped on it a bit and started it and it worked again! Gave it a bit of a stress test by running the lights and the air compressor to inflate all 4 tires.

My plan now is to go to the junkyard and pick up a 136A alternator from a Durango/Grand Cherokee and another Cherokee alternator bracket.

Thanks for the tips!

My recommendation is your local shop. Find a good local auto electric shop.

I've had several alternators rebuilt by our local guy, and he charges about $100.

New brushes, new rectifier, new bearings, commutator turned smooth and bench tested. Less than half the price I found for a rebuild on Rock Auto and since it came out of the car, you KNOW it's the right amperage and size.

They do it same day. Absolute best deal going. All the same services as a rebuke, at less than half the price, with no shipping, no core charges, no hassle...

Here's our local guy: http://www.browningsalternator.com

Well it finally died. Wasnt in a position to take it out and get it rebuilt or do so myself. Ended up getting a remanufactured one from Advance for $117. Changed it in the parking lot in 45 minutes.

Apparently it has been bad for quite a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back