Alternator Clutch Pulley Removal???

I am trying to replace the clutch pulley on the Volvo, and I am having a hard time breaking it loose. The picture below is abetter demonstration of what I am trying to do. Would you used an impact gun on the 33 spline socket to break it loose???
All other ideas are welcome.

Attachments

• Volvo-Alternator-Pulley.jpg
    Volvo-Alternator-Pulley.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 60
I have the same tool. I’ve done this on at least one of my V70s, when the run-on clutch pulley gets noisily.

I would not use an impact gun, but heat is often your friend. Don’t overdo it, but a bit of heat on the pulley interior would help if there’s threadlocker on the shaft.

I’m pretty certain it’s reverse thread, so, which way are you turning it?

You can use an impact with a 17mm socket on the spline socket, you don't need to hold the shaft. Makes sure the impact is in forward (clockwise), as Astro said it is a LH thread. Install with hand tools, it doesnt need to be nut busting tight.

I have the same tool. I’ve done this on at least one of my V70s, when the run-on clutch pulley gets noisily.

I would not use an impact gun, but heat is often your friend. Don’t overdo it, but a bit of heat on the pulley interior would help if there’s threadlocker on the shaft.

I’m pretty certain it’s reverse thread, so, which way are you turning it?
I am turning it clockwise. I added some PB blaster last night to the trades. Hope this will work.

You can use an impact with a 17mm socket on the spline socket, you don't need to hold the shaft. Makes sure the impact is in forward (clockwise), as Astro said it is a LH thread. Install with hand tools, it doesnt need to be nut busting tight.
Thanks, this would me my 2nd approach.

Back