Is this alternator clutch pulley bad or is the alternator shaft bent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtcR9ko_kE&feature=youtu.be

2006 Jetta TDI. I hear an annoying squealling or chirping noise when accellerating. At steady speeds the noise comes and goes for a few seconds and with no set pattern. Sometimes when the noise changes, the engine feels like it has more power, similar to when the load of the a/c compressor is turned off. Removed the serpentine belt, revved the engine and the noise was gone. The serpentine tensioner pulley bearing was loose so I replaced the pulley thinking that was the problem but that didn't stop it. Next in line is the alternator or it's clutch pulley in the video. Is the wobbling pulley causing the noise or should I replace it anyway for the wobble? Or is it wobbling because the alternator shaft is bent and I should replace the alternator?

"This video is unavailable"

All the parts should be very smooth and quiet and not wobbly when you spin them with the belt off. If it makes the noise while parked, listen under the hood to try and localize it. Get about a 3 foot length of hose and hold one end to your ear and hold the other end near suspect parts. Be very careful of moving parts of course.

probably just the pulley as the shaft would be hard to bend being that short ans stout, I have replaced pulleys on many different cars with good results.

With the belt off......... spin each pulley by hand. If it wobbles or is hard to spin or you hear grinding noises....replace it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back