Almost too good to pass up (Dodge 2.7L)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, a dealer about 20 minutes or so from me just opened on Monday and I love their method of selling. All they do is buy cars from the auctions (anywhere from $900-2000) and sell them for $100-$300 more then they payed, making for some great deals. Currently my favorite is a 1999 Intrepid with 153K and the 2.7L. Water pump had been done, and it looks clean on dipstick and through fill cap. Only asking $1500, and I'm guessing a dealer like this will have an abundance of Intrepids. At that kind of $$$ are these cars worth it? I've read numerous places that with normal 3-5K OCI's with good oil the 2.7 is a fine, powerful motor. Do you guys agree? Thanks!

I have 2.7 but in a 04 sebring limited. got it for $3k+ with 79k mi. I had to do tie rods, ball joints, n other small stuff to it. you can probably find a better deal than that online but if you don't want to drive too far away, just hav someone with a lift give it good inspection.
I don't think the engine is very powerful but it's definitely more than fine, the price on these cars is usually pretty low because most people are aware of the issues the engine has had. if you get one that was well cared for and have the proper maintenance should be fine

the motor is about 1/4 of the equation when looking at a car from 1999. Transmission, rust, suspension, brakes, exhaust....any of these can take a "good deal" to a money pit really quickly.

The 2.7 baseds Chrysler are a lump of junk. I would not take one if it was given to me, much less pay real money for them. I know the 1998-1999 have transmission issues as well as the torque converter, the trim is remarkably flimsy, brakes are borderline dangerous, suspension is "meh" at best and yes, as you noted with the water pump, there are significant cooling issues and these cooling issues show up elsewhere.

The worse thing for me, despite being a constant problem child, is that they can be an absolute PITA to work on. Chrysler engineers went out of their way to make things complicated to make sure you see their dealership techs.

There are much better $1500 cars.

A Spirit/Acclaim is 3x the vehicle and much less trouble than the LH cars.Just not as swoopy and "modern".

I would pass on a Chrysler 2.7L. My friend purchased a brand new sebring, about 2001 or 2002, perfect synthetic oil changes and care. It still needed an engine at like 80k miles, had the 100k power train, and they put a brand new engine in, free. The only price he had to pay was driving a loaner PT Cruiser convertible 2.4l turbo for a few weeks while they did the work. Worst handling gas hog we had ever driven.

He still had to beg people to buy it for 4 grand with a factory new motor with papers. This was like 5 years ago too.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
A Spirit/Acclaim is 3x the vehicle and much less trouble than the LH cars.Just not as swoopy and "modern".

Anyone claiming that with a straight face is either crazy, or has never driven the cars in question!

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
Hey guys, a dealer about 20 minutes or so from me just opened on Monday and I love their method of selling. All they do is buy cars from the auctions (anywhere from $900-2000) and sell them for $100-$300 more then they payed, making for some great deals.

Says who?
laugh.gif

Though if I ran a used car lot, I'd have ads blaring on TV that "I don't wash my cars saving you THOUSANDS OF DOLLAAAASSS!!!"

Back on topic, if one likes perusing dozens of clunkers in one handy lot, I recommend http://intervaleimports.com/ in scenic Conway, NH. I get the distinct impression their staff mechanic gives up easily.

Geez...I need to NOT browse that site, some of those are tempting. (First three minutes, I found TWO 7.3 PSD Super Dutys for under $4500!)

All the vehicles on that site have spaceship mileage on them, a vehicle that has driven to the moon is never worth buying. Unless your talking OTR trucks.

Last edited:
I just got my dad a 1996 Buick LeSabre with 90k miles on it for a hundred bucks more than that in very good shope. The guy even threw in a set of like new snow tires on spare rims with it.

My advice on any 2.7 Chrysler is run fast and run far. Better deals to be had.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
All the vehicles on that site have spaceship mileage on them, a vehicle that has driven to the moon is never worth buying. Unless your talking OTR trucks.

I would have no trouble with 200+K on a diesel pickup. Heck...I called on a Cummins Ram with 305K, and the guy sold it within 12 hours of posting a CL ad!

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Not all high-mileage is the same on all vehicles.

My HM '99 Outback is tight as a drum... mostly. Save for the rear struts (originals) to be replaced soon, you really can tell it apart from any other average. It is a lot better than several other 50-120K cars (mostly Chrysler) I had the privilege of driving. It was supposed to be the winter-beater AWD shoot-it-when-its-dead type of car but my wife and I use it more than the other two cars in the stable for non-commute trips right now. Talk to enough Subaru folks and you realize that 200K is the "midlife" stage for the car if you do general maintenance (like HG).

Some cars definitely age better than others. 2.7 Chrysler are part of that group that do not age well. Toyotas, Subarus, Large GMs, some Hondas, (older) Volvos, are all "age" well cars.

It's a $1500 Intrepid.
21.gif

If the water pump has been done, you could probably get more than $1500 worth of use out of it.

I'm still trying to figure out how they are selling for $100-$300 more. By the time they detail, run basic checks and services, and pay the sales staff and overhead (including website and advertising), they are in way deeper than $300.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
1999 Intrepid $1500

The Buicks in the background are the better car if you want a larger 4 door sedan

Not much better(the LeSabre.) It has 258,584 miles on it.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

I'm still trying to figure out how they are selling for $100-$300 more. By the time they detail, run basic checks and services, and pay the sales staff and overhead (including website and advertising), they are in way deeper than $300.

There is no possible way that they could be operating on those margins. I would guess they are paying 1/2 (or less) of asking for their vehicles. $100-300 wouldn't even come close to covering their rent alone.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
1999 Intrepid $1500

The Buicks in the background are the better car if you want a larger 4 door sedan

Not much better(the LeSabre.) It has 258,584 miles on it.

Ok, maybe not THAT Buick but as a model, I think you could find a similar priced Buick at 150K if you look. Still, I think you might be able to squeeze 40K out of the Buick which is what I expect from the Intrepid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back