Almost shot someone tonight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Tx,you can also use deadly force against someone who`s assaulting someone else. For example,if you come across a person who`s assaulting someone and you have a concealed handgun,you can legally use deadly force to save the victim.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
I'm with drew here... no matter what that does not give you an excuse to get your back up in aggression.

I totally agree too. There`s NOTHING that gives you the right to assault an innocent stranger. If you do,you deserve to have whatever reprocussions that may take place. We`re intelligent beings who are capable of logical cognitive thinking.

I would have called the police at the first sign of his threating driving behavior. No handgun necessary.

Originally Posted By: Nayov
I would have called the police at the first sign of his threating driving behavior. No handgun necessary.

I've had police response times to 911 calls range from 25-65 minutes. It is just not a realistic expectation. No thanks.

USe of deadly force to protect yourself or 3rd parties has nothing to do with the time of day. Time of day does matter when protecting your property.

This is a good place to start if you want to understand your rights in Texas with regard to force, lethal force, etc:

Texas CHL and related Laws

robert

Good self control! I don't carry a gun but if that situation presented itself I might have driven 4000 lbs of vehicle over him, or possibly opened his head up with a bat. Glad no one got hurt. I feel bad for the guy, but still even with all his problems that was no way to conduct himself. People get hurt or die that way.

Prayers sent for his young child.

Glad you didn't have to shoot the guy, although I believe you would have been legally justified in doing so. Had you shot him, it would likely have landed you in a (frivolous, IMO) civil wrongful death lawsuit, that would have cost you many thousands $$$ to defend against.

If I were you, I would move ASAP. Your current location ha attracted too many unsavory characters the last couple of years.

To the OP, good self-control and wisdom in the decisions. Everyone here has time to reflect and have their standing heart rates at the normal range when they heard your scenario.

If this individual had targeted you, he knows where you live and could come back. Legally, you met all the considerations and responsibilities of owning a weapon. Being on your own property would help justify a mortality or usage of the weapon.

Police times are similar to ours. Unless you are actively using a weapon, the police probably will not show up under 30 minutes regardless of how threatened you may feel. However, times will be shortened considerably if you say your young child may be harmed or killed. This is a tactic my mother, as a principal of an elementary school, uses when police are needed. The liability of a child actually having harm done to them doesn't outweigh the potential misinformation. Police love saving children from harm, as most of us do.

Giving the individual commands that he can understand and follow show that you are the one in control of the situation. Shows some serious "level-headedness" on your part.

Shaking hands was a good idea. Ending things with a conclusion such as this is best for the safety of your family.

I've carried 11 years. Pulled my weapon twice: one situation involved a man and a minor female having an attempted sexual assault being committed and the second one involved a truck driver running me off the road that had also thrown beer bottles at my vehicle (felony - deadly missiles) and was under the influence of drugs/alcohol.

I disagree with some of the macho statements. There is nothing more terrifying than ending someone's life and existence based upon your judgment call. This is something you must rationalize and live with for the rest of your life, not to mention the many possible negative outcomes that may be associated with it.

From my experience, speed bumps and low speed limits have caused way too many scenarios of road rage. I tend to care about my vehicles, as I assume you do, and slow down for them plus drive the speed limit posted. Many people feel that this is a personal slight being done to them by you because they are impatient, thus resulting in behavior unrelated to their normal personality. I wish this would be taken into account when municipalities install them.

How many of you guys have gotten so mad at someone in traffic (because you're stressed out for any reason) that you followed them home, almost ran them off the road, and came within seconds of shooting them or pulling them out of their vehicle and assault them?

I don't get it? Why would you shake hands with someone like that?

I'll say it again. Actions speak. Words and other things like going to church are meaningless when put into the context of how one behaves.

People that bully others like what this guy did tend to do it repeatedly, and it's the sign of a borderline sociopath. I judge people on how they act, especially when I first encounter them. Maybe the guy is a really nice guy and just lost it, but if he lived in my neighborhood, it would take a lot of "nice" normal behavior for me to trust him.

Usually when I lose it, I say bad words. I don't go out and intimidate others with my vehicle and a firearm!

I wouldn't want to, Drew. However, it's best to let the other party think it's over, concluded, and he doesn't come back. In comparison and assurance, a positive conclusion would suit better than a negative one.

So...when he charged toward you on your property, did he have the revolver in his hand at that time? If he did, I would have killed for sure. I don't care what his personal issues are, the protection and security of my child (and self) take center stage. If he didn't have his weapon in his hand then I think you responded fine, but if he DID? You were just lucky and put you and your child at risk for hesitation. Sounds like he was a fraction of a second away from shooting you. Sorry about his situation....but it makes ZERO difference. Are you sure you did NOTHING to irritate this guy? Maybe go slower than you should have or make gestures towards him? Not accusing you of anything here....just asking.

Originally Posted By: Nayov

You watch to much TV, the police dont come in blazing with sirens on and save people. They come in blazing into a crime scene and then try to figure out what has already happened.

Remember all those cops standing around outside the building at Virginia Tech? How many students lives did they save? zero, thats how many.

I'd have at least filed a police report and an official complaint so the police would show up to his home and interrogate him, so he'd be on their radar.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Glad you didn't have to shoot the guy, although I believe you would have been legally justified in doing so. Had you shot him, it would likely have landed you in a (frivolous, IMO) civil wrongful death lawsuit, that would have cost you many thousands $$$ to defend against.

Texas law now protects you against this sort of thing. Of course, I don't know that the new law has been well tested, and I don't want to be the test case.

robert

Lesson learned: Don't mess with Texans, all of them have guns in their cars.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'd have at least filed a police report and an official complaint so the police would show up to his home and interrogate him, so he'd be on their radar.

Agreed. That way if this guy DOES decide to come back, there is a record of his previous instabilty. That would go a long way in any court(criminal or civil) to show just cause for using deadly force at a later date, if needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Lesson learned: Don't mess with Texans, all of them have guns in their cars.
10.gif

thumbsup2.gif

An armed society is a polite society!
I totally agree!

I beleive you acted good. If you pulled your weapon it could have made him go for his. Then there could be a potential shooting, your daughter was close. However, if he continued to charge you, then no doubt go for your weapon.

It would be a heck of a thing to take a mans life and hope i never get put in that position. And you handled the situation well solo. No one got hurt. Hopefully this other guy doesn't do anything like this again.
Everyone is entitled to defend themselves; people just have to understand that

I do think you should make a police report to protect yourself in case this guy is just some loose canon looking for somewhere to go off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back