Almost shot someone tonight :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea what a kid having surgery can do to you. I know because I watched my mom go through it when my brother had to have brain surgery when I was 12.

She was a wreck, almost crashed the car with me in it and almost divorced my dad because they were both stressed out and fighting because of the stress that my brother might die.

So yeah I would understand and that is why I took you on in this thread.

How old are you and how many kids do you have that have been or are sick like this?

Steve
wink.gif

rule number one when you "show your weapon" be very prepared to elimanate the person that is threatening you because if you stop and ponder the thought and he pulls his weapon you dont get another chance...Period!

Stevie, don't go there. Don't make excuses.

I've dealt with EONS of tragedy in my personal life and gone through a personal [censored] from diagnosed mental illness. Every person I know - heck, every person everyone knows usually has had tragedy in their lives. However, even with the rage and heartbreak they feel inside, they don't go out engaging in road rage and coming within seconds of assaulting a stranger, especially while potentially carrying a firearm.

Sorry, you're wrong in excusing it. People that do what this guy did usually do it repeatedly. They make nice like he did, the anger builds, and they release it in pathological and violent behavior. Arguing amongst married people over family problems is not comparable to trying to wreck someone in traffic, pull them out of their vehicle, and either shoot them or assault them.

Excuses, I don't think so... Been there seen it first hand and sympathize with the OP's experience and the guy who lost his $#!@ because he had an irrational moment that clouded his judgement.

That is great that you are that "strong" but others are not and my mom is one of them as was this guy I'm sure.

If it weren't able to happen then there wouldn't be an "Insanity" defense allowable by the courts.

EDIT: Further my moms sister whom she is very close to is dying of cancer and every-time it looks like the end is near (happened a few times due to surgery & treatments not going well) my mom ends up in a state that she looks like she has "Snapped" and can't go to work because she is just "out of it" and my dad and I forbid her from driving or going to work. She gets into fits of cleaning and baking and other busy-bee work. While in this state she can start crying or get severely angry over the littlest of things and has thrown stuff at my dad and I over stupid things that set her off.

So don't tell me it can't happen!

Been through way stressful things with my children, and a sibling with spina bifida.

That sort of stress never causes you to get in anyone's face (except medical staff), and certainly not into a road rager.

I'm glad that the OP didn't end up using lethal force, especially in front of his daughter, but actions, not excuses are the circumstances that he was responding to.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Been through way stressful things with my children, and a sibling with spina bifida.

That sort of stress never causes you to get in anyone's face (except medical staff), and certainly not into a road rager.

I'm glad that the OP didn't end up using lethal force, especially in front of his daughter, but actions, not excuses are the circumstances that he was responding to.
I'm sorry to hear about your sibling.

You never know what is going through peoples heads and/or you never know whether he was coming from the hospital or whatever.

Just because you didn't snap doesn't mean it can't happen. People deal with things differently and it can cause irrational thoughts/actions.

Why do some people who are normal and have no history of mental illness or prior criminal convictions snap and go postal?

Sheesh.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I hope his daughter is doing well.
frown.gif

+1
thumbsup2.gif

I hope the daughter is doing well, too. I would have gut shot him as he entered my property and told the police I feared for the safety of my child. There's no excuse for acting like he did, and sometimes the result of those kind of inappropriate actions is injury or death, regardless of motivation.

Solo, you sound like a real level headed down to Earth person. The other guy is lucky he targeted you instead of a hot head or insecure person with a CC.

It's unfortunate that he doesn't know how close he came to dying that night. Outrageous behavior is often the result of not facing consequences for having seriously misbehaved before instead of just stress.

I'm not suggesting you tell him, just commenting that someplace along the way he didn't learn about consequences.

I'm glad things turned out the way they did and things calmed down. Being a father myself, I think I'd be on the edge of sanity if either of my kids had a life threatening ilness. All the same, we have to remember that this guy's story and situation was an explanation, but not an excuse for his behavior.

Everyone's lucky that he's alive today. His family and your family in the sense of the time away from your family and money you would have spent going through the legal process of proving your actions were legally justifiable. Not to mention the fact that unless there was no alternative, I'd rather go through my whole life without having to have the experience of watching a man die because I shot him, even if he deserved it. Your daughter was spared that experience today too. Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't hesitate to use any force necessary to protect my family.

All in all, things could have been way worse. Lucky you're not one of those guys who drives around angry and looking for a fight.

Best wishes to everyone's kids.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
In Texas you can use deadly force from dusk to dawn if someone comes onto your property. Getting a CHL is one of the best things you can do. My handgun goes everywhere I go.

Do I need a CHL to legally use deadly force on my property from dusk to dawn?

Wow, some intense subjects tonight at BITOG!

You beat me to it, Jim 5, with an excellent perspective of the situation. Well stated.

I applaud Stevie C for his stance to "not judge a person until you have walked two moons in their shoes". I agree.

The posters here that seem to have watched too many Dirty Harry movies are the ones I worry about having concealed weapons.

Finally, we have not commended the OP enough in his demonstration as a responsible concealed weapons holder. Kudos to you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

I applaud Stevie C for his stance to "not judge a person until you have walked two moons in their shoes". I agree.

Thank you.
thumbsup2.gif

In Texas you can use deadly force from dusk to dawn if someone comes onto your property. Getting a CHL is one of the best things you can do. My handgun goes everywhere I go.

Its things like this that makes me glad I don't live in the U.S. or in Texas for that matter!
31.gif

In 9+ years of carrying I have pulled it once and reached for it twice. I carry ALL of the time. Too many dopers out there looking for cash--no matter what. John--Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Wow, some intense subjects tonight at BITOG!

You beat me to it, Jim 5, with an excellent perspective of the situation. Well stated.

Finally, we have not commended the OP enough in his demonstration as a responsible concealed weapons holder. Kudos to you.

+1
While I can agree with some of Stevie's sentiment, Solo is the one who's shoes need to be walked in to evaluate what happened.

I would like to think that in the same circumstance I would have done as well as Solo did, but that is indeed a lofty goal.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Its things like this that makes me glad I don't live in the U.S. or in Texas for that matter!
31.gif

Your loss.
28.gif
After the first home invasion robbery where 3 guys were going to kill me, having the legal allowance to protect yourself and your family is a valuable resource. Morally, I am against using deadly force. But that does not keep me from exercising my rights and retaining the ability to defend my family. I think that most people who who scoff at this either have not been attacked/robbed or believe that the police are there to protect individuals. I met with a police officer this morning after having to file a report when some bad folks had vandalized the school where my kids go, trying to steal copper from the main power cutoffs. Even that officer said that their (police) services are purely reactionary, and it is up to the public to ensure that they remain educated and alert to their surroundings, and defend themselves, family, and property as the law allows.

But that's a whole other topic.

I'm with drew here... no matter what that does not give you an excuse to get your back up in aggression.

Originally Posted By: jorton

Do I need a CHL to legally use deadly force on my property from dusk to dawn?

Nope. You can use deadly force in Tx with or without one in circumstance stated above. Only time you need a CHL is if you`re carrying your handgun anywhere besides your car,house,or place of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back